Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Curtain between J and Y

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes the announcements specify that the front lav is reserved for the people in the J cabin.

Last edited by Stranger; Jan 22, 2009 at 5:10 pm
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:05 pm

Programs: AC E50K
In AC I think the curtain is to keep the Y passengers out. My family on AC007 YVR-HKG with one J upgrade this Christmas. One of my sons won the "rock, paper and scissors" and got to sit in J. After take off, I went from Y to J to visit him. The FA told me off, "You cannot come to the Executive First Cabin....". I jokingly told her I have a "pass" and show her my A*E card. She still insist I cannot go into the J class cabin even to visit my son who is 10 years old.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:09 pm

Programs: Air Canada
Originally Posted by Spot planes
In AC I think the curtain is to keep the Y passengers out. My family on AC007 YVR-HKG with one J upgrade this Christmas. One of my sons won the "rock, paper and scissors" and got to sit in J. After take off, I went from Y to J to visit him. The FA told me off, "You cannot come to the Executive First Cabin....". I jokingly told her I have a "pass" and show her my A*E card. She still insist I cannot go into the J class cabin even to visit my son who is 10 years old.
A ten year old should not be left alone in J class. A ten year old traveling alone would be considered an unaccompanied minor by an airline. Sitting in different sections of the plane does not constitute adequate supervision. This is particularly important for take offs and landings, the critical phases of a flight.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by dobiefan
A ten year old should not be left alone in J class. A ten year old traveling alone would be considered an unaccompanied minor by an airline. Sitting in different sections of the plane does not constitute adequate supervision. This is particularly important for take offs and landings, the critical phases of a flight.
Upon boarding I've told the IC and the other FA in J about my son and us sitting at the back. Nobody said anything.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
The curtain is there as a psychological barrier or separator of the J cabin to make it look and feel exclusive for the "upper echelon of society" and oh and for some it is a smell or odour protector.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 6:14 pm

... One of my sons won the "rock, paper and scissors" and got to sit in J. After take off, I went from Y to J to visit him. The FA told me off, "You cannot come to the Executive First Cabin....". I jokingly told her I have a "pass" and show her my A*E card. She still insist I cannot go into the J class cabin even to visit my son who is 10 years old.
-Who was on the J class B/P?
-Does an Aeroplan membership card convey such an in-flight benefit?
Perhaps your son could visit you at your seat instead, less disruption in the front cabin.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 6:26 pm

The curtain is to keep Y pax out of the J cabin. Some people just don't get the message. It's very tacky to 'crash" the J cabin to use the lavatory and while I'm at it can Y pax NOT place their carry-on in the overhead J space on your way to the back? I've paid for the right to use the bin space above my seat and not have to wait for a Y pax to get out of the J toilet.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:22 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Seriously?? Probably best if some of the J/C regulars answer this question. It is pretty standard routine on most airlines, although post-911 the curtains were eliminated on U.S. carriers for security concerns.

Some airlines do indeed have signs/placards and have even seen ropes.
My recollection was that the eliminated it for the first few months amidst the 'securing our nation' hoop-la/panic (because, you know, the difference between a hijacked aircraft and a non-hijacked aircraft is that curtain), then most airlines unveiled some translucent curtain since then.
Originally Posted by imverge
The curtain is to keep Y pax out of the J cabin. Some people just don't get the message. It's very tacky to 'crash" the J cabin to use the lavatory and while I'm at it can Y pax NOT place their carry-on in the overhead J space on your way to the back? I've paid for the right to use the bin space above my seat and not have to wait for a Y pax to get out of the J toilet.
what if i'm the last pax on board (sitting in y) and there is open bin space in j with y bins full? i agree, but, come on, let's share.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:23 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by kellytoronto
Precisely. Only 42% of J passengers have stinky feet.
What percentage of those are AC employees?
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by californiadreamin'
-Who was on the J class B/P?
For me to know. For you to find out.

-Does an Aeroplan membership card convey such an in-flight benefit?
AP*E card does not even earn the FA's respect.

Perhaps your son could visit you at your seat instead, less disruption in the front cabin.
I am a J traveller most of the time. I do not find a brief visit from somebody at my J seat a disruption.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:35 am

Programs: AC*P, SPG
For me to know. For you to find out.
It's a perfectly relevant question relating to the topic at hand.

AP*E card does not even earn the FA's respect.
More like pulling a DYKWIA didn't get you what you wanted.

Airplane etiquette seems be going the way of the dodo. I thought it was pretty common knowledge that traffic (whether it is visiting a traveling companion or using the lavs) J --> Y is okay while Y --> J is not (or at least heavily frowned upon).
Old Jan 23, 2009, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by IsleTraveller
Does anyone know why the curtain between J and Y is closed after take-off?

Are they trying to prevent the Y from seeing what the J are getting? Would it not be good "advertising" for Y to get a taste of what they are missing?
NO NO......... the curtain is to close off the CARGO area I assume thats whats back there.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 4:24 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Some airlines even keep the curtain closed after landing that F/J pax deplanes first while holding Y pax. ^

It's just to keep the premium cabin more private and quiet.

IMHO, it is no problem to go from higher cabin to lower cabin, but not the other way (even if companion is sitting in higher cabin).
Pax in F/J should be able to visit companion(s) in Y.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 4:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport

I am a J traveller most of the time. I do not find a brief visit from somebody at my J seat a disruption.
You don't, but you would be amazed at how many customers who have no connection to the visitor do. On a recent flight 2 family members were seated up front and 3 members in the back. Aside from the constant swapping of seats and the desire to deliver food from J > Y, these factors combined with adjacent customers displeasure necessitated the crew to politely intervene.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by cur
what if i'm the last pax on board (sitting in y) and there is open bin space in j with y bins full? i agree, but, come on, let's share.
I don't have a problem if there is no overhead space in Y and the item has to be stowed in J. What I have a problem is there are times where I board and I'm the only pax in J yet there are several bags in the bins.

What really pissed me off on a LH flight was when the FA took my bag out to fit a bigger bag (for a pax in Y) and then she tried to place mine in the back. Hell NO. I told her I wanted the bag in J cabin as I am not comfortable with my bag out of my view. After giving me stern look and I giving her an even dirtier one back, she put my bag back where it belonged

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.