Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What does *A means to AC for elite bags left in YVR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What does *A means to AC for elite bags left in YVR?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
No, the next available AC itinerary from YVR to HKG was not 2 days later as I have posted above.

YVR AC baggage service could have, and should have sent the midhandled bags to YYZ on the next AC flight for transfer to AC015 from YYZ to HKG on Tuesday. The bags would have been in HK by early Wednesday afternoon and will be in passengers' possession by early evening rather than late Thursday evening. AC staff obviously lacked the mentality and business acumen to use best efforts to deliver the mishandled baggage to the passengers on a top priority basis. It exemplifies the attitude of both junior and senior AC staff members.
Your scenario is plausible. But it also comes down to volume - the unknown is how many other bags that day were not delivered correctly. It may have come down to volume against resources - and again we can argue that if they had more resources this would not happen - but at what cost to the customer?

Or it may be incompetence - we just don't know.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Originally Posted by bmchris
the unknown is how many other bags that day were not delivered correctly. It may have come down to volume against resources
Priority bags were mixed with non-elite bags when we arrived HKG, I guess I am not surprise since elite tag has little value when travel within NA. There were at least 20 of us didn't get our bags and my assumption is all of our bags were loaded in one or two container(s) so it was easier for AC to sit on it for 2 days.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So why didn't AC send the bags YVR/YYZ and then Tuesday's AC015 YYZ/HKG?

There were plenty of flights from YVR to YYZ after the AC007 departure, including a red-eye with ample time to catch the AC015 on Tuesday morning.

That's the next available AC itinerary and the bags will be in HKG Wednesday afternoon instead of Thursday evening.

Typical AC incompetence!
So that there would be an opportunity for the bags to get misdirected (again) at YYZ? Isn't the entire point after having misdirected bags to try to minimize the possibility of ANOTHER misdirect?

The real question was why it wasn't put on CX's direct flight. Of course, only insiders will ever know why -- perhaps CX's belly was packed already and/or they couldn't/didn't want to take on AC's bags. Maybe there were too many. Who knows.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 168
Priority bags were mixed with non-elite bags when we arrived HKG, I guess I am not surprise since elite tag has little value when travel within NA. There were at least 20 of us didn't get our bags and my assumption is all of our bags were loaded in one or two container(s) so it was easier for AC to sit on it for 2 days.
To be fair, they don't mean all that much in many other places in the world.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:13 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by YOWkid
To be realistic, they mean a LOT more in other parts of the world.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 8:10 am

So that there would be an opportunity for the bags to get misdirected (again) at YYZ? Isn't the entire point after having misdirected bags to try to minimize the possibility of ANOTHER misdirect?

The real question was why it wasn't put on CX's direct flight. Of course, only insiders will ever know why -- perhaps CX's belly was packed already and/or they couldn't/didn't want to take on AC's bags. Maybe there were too many. Who knows.
The entire forwarding process is within AC system and within AC control. No third party airline is involved.

Even if the bags are "misconnected" at YYZ due to AC incompetence on Tuesday, after being forwarded from YVR, AC016 on Wednesday will still arrive some 4 hours earlier than AC007 from YVR. It follows that passengers should receive their mishandled bags several hours sooner.

Do several hours matter? Yes, it does, from a customer service point of view.

An advance message could be sent by YVR AC to alert YYZ AC to ensure swift transfer. This is what a properly run airline would do. Passengers arrived at the destination without their bags. Do whatever you have to do to control damage and minimise the inconvenience, re-built some future goodwill. Even if it may not be AC's fault, passengers appreciate your efforts and distinguishes AC from other airlines.

If YVR AC does not have the confident that YYZ AC may be capable of handling the transfer, it should be escalated through higher internal level, e.g., a message from supervisor to supervisor, to ensure the transfer will be done.

Courtesy forwarding of mishandled bags between airlines will likely depend on the no. of bags, total weight and the reciprocality of such courtesy. In this case, there appeared to be many bags mishandled. Again, as one of the excuses use by another poster, YVR AC may be short staff. The easiest and laziest way to do it is to forward the bags on AC007 on Wednesday under original tags. Otherwise, YVR AC baggage service will have to "re-tag" all those mishandled bags on a "Rush", either via some other airline e.g. CX or through YYZ on AC.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 8:16 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Actually, they do.
All over Asia, you would be astounded to see the luggage come off the belts
in exact order: First Class first, Business Class/Priority second, then
general pax.

Indeed, last week, on an LX flight into BKK, I was the only F pax disembarking
at that port. When 3-4 pieces of luggage arrived ( priority, but not mine),
the concierge was already on the walkie-talkie asking where mine was.
She then told me it had already been put on the belt, and apologised for
the poor service!!!! It was about the 10th bag off.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:03 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
The easiest and laziest way to do it is to forward the bags on AC007 on Wednesday under original tags.
The easiest the laziest way to do it is to leave the bag at YVR until the pax returns home

This is what UA did to me when I made a weekend trip to Italy.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by 168
But was there an issue with other flights having missed bags, which compounded the situation is my point.

I can recall 3 personal incidents of baggage not arriving as expected - 1 on US air, when it was destroyed by a conveyor belt; 1 by CX on SYD-HKG, when it was not loaded; 1 on a transfer from LH to TAP at MUC - over 2 hours transfer time with *A Gold (this was on a European holiday).

To your point where priority doesn't mean much in US- if that's the case, why would they even do it? It doesn't make any sense. I've been to a lot of airports in NA, and watching the bags come off, generally priority bags to come off first. I can't say about Canada though, and I typically only check bags 25% of the time when in NA, since the trips are typically short.

Last edited by bmchris; Jan 22, 2009 at 9:52 am
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:27 am

To your point where priority doesn't mean much in US- if that's the case, why would they even do it?
They do it because the airlines want to do it, like everybody else. But whether the baggage loaders would strictly follow the rule is a different thing.

In Asia, as IluvSQ said, they even follow the order of the COS. In Europe, it's not as good but still way better than in NA.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by jarusoba
They do it because the airlines want to do it, like everybody else. But whether the baggage loaders would strictly follow the rule is a different thing.
Correct. But if baggage handlers didn't follow procedures, it wouldn't work, customers would notice, they would complain, then airlines would not offer it, since it doesn't make a difference, and only results in irate high value customers. Its an added cost to them, and with no benefit to a customer, why do it?

Bottom line - I'm going to continue requesting priority luggage tagging since I myself personally think it makes a difference in most cases.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Actually, they do.
All over Asia, you would be astounded to see the luggage come off the belts
in exact order: First Class first, Business Class/Priority second, then
general pax.

Indeed, last week, on an LX flight into BKK, I was the only F pax disembarking
at that port. When 3-4 pieces of luggage arrived ( priority, but not mine),
the concierge was already on the walkie-talkie asking where mine was.
She then told me it had already been put on the belt, and apologised for
the poor service!!!! It was about the 10th bag off.
One thing about Asia is that turnaround times are considerably longer, allowing higher baggage delivery accuracy, labor is cheap, so they can attach more resources to each step of the operation (even check in), and pricing is less competitive between carriers. But I agree, it sure is a nicer way to fly.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:04 am

One thing about Asia is that turnaround times are considerably longer
What turnaround time? I think it's the same as in NA.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:10 am

Correct. But if baggage handlers didn't follow procedures, it wouldn't work, customers would notice, they would complain, then airlines would not offer it, since it doesn't make a difference, and only results in irate high value customers. Its an added cost to them, and with no benefit to a customer, why do it?
It's not that they don't observe the priority tags. It is that when there is a container full of priority baggage, there may be a few non-priority ones mixed with the priority baggage. Those non-priority ones would be loaded together with the priority baggage to the belt. In Asia, I suspect they would only load the tagged priority baggage first before loading the non-tagged baggage even though they're in the same container. This make a difference.

I guess in NA, priority baggage handling means your bag will be loaded into the first container to be unloaded, if you are lucky.

Bottom line - I'm going to continue requesting priority luggage tagging since I myself personally think it makes a difference in most cases.
I would too. It should still be statistically faster than without the tagging. But expect to see a few non-priority bags coming out before yours if you're in NA.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by jarusoba
What turnaround time? I think it's the same as in NA.
The average time between when an arriving plane is deplaned and departs on its next flight. Make it tighter, and it puts added pressure on handlers to unload and load the planes faster, increasing the risk that mistakes are made.

In NA, its common to see deplaning passengers running into those waiting for the next flight - not as much in Asia in my experience. Asian flights also tend to be more international than domestic, since countries are smaller.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.