Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan announces 4 major changes to Redemptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan announces 4 major changes to Redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by macabus
I made the mistake of calling Aeroplan to ask a few questions about the new rules.

At first the agent pretended to have no idea what I was talking about. Then she asked me where I got this information.

I said "a close friend" and left it at that.

She said this information is highly confidential and will not be released to the public until Dec. 8th.

I asked a "theoretical" question about the Atlantic-Pacific rule and she said "I can't even talk about the new rules until Dec. 8."

It appears the OP has some very "inside" information. Let's not harass AP until the time is right.
Very good point as the informant could be disciplined for revealing privilieged info.....that is if they can't find him/her ....

On the other hand, AC/AE lurkers peruse this forum regularly.....
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:30 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
So does this mean that December 8 the rates will go up as well?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:38 pm

Programs: A3 *G, Marriott Plat, AS 75K
Originally Posted by shore9
So does this mean that December 8 the rates will go up as well?
this could potentially be the 'confidential' part of the information :P
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
So in effect one can now get a R-t-W in First Class with two stops for just 120K?!
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:56 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Shareholder
So in effect one can now get a R-t-W in First Class with two stops for just 120K?!
Plus $2000 YQ surcharge
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:47 am

Programs: AC E, PC Plat Amb
I am a little confused in how you get that? If it involves an open jaw between Asia and Europe, how do you get the ticket for that portion?

Can you give a routing example?
Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by bestof2k9
Highly confidential, my a**. The new rules are public, but are in effect only as of december 8. She was probably pissed cause you seemed to know more about AE then she probably does. There is alot of stuff issued to agents that is confidential, that is certainly not the case.
If the news is public, then why don't I see this news on the Aeroplan web site?
Old Dec 2, 2008, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Queen438
I am a little confused in how you get that? If it involves an open jaw between Asia and Europe, how do you get the ticket for that portion?

Can you give a routing example?
Reread the last example given in the OP. No open jaw necessary.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by SensFan
Reread the last example given in the OP. No open jaw necessary.
Exactly. Just a stop-over to or front the destination city and returning over the other ocean. Ergo a R-t-W. As for all those fees, just stay away from AC space or keep it to a minimum....and AC does not offer first class. However, getting F space on SQ, TG, NH or OZ might be a problem across the Pacific, while LH or SX (Swiss) are the only ones across the Atlantic with First Class (along with that orphan SQ flight which alternates between FRA and AMS).
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:30 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
However, getting F space on SQ, TG, NH or OZ might be a problem across the Pacific, while LH or SX (Swiss) are the only ones across the Atlantic with First Class (along with that orphan SQ flight which alternates between FRA and AMS).

But there should be loads of space across both oceans in UA F class.
I have not flown their " new, improved F" yet, but even their old one
was not SO bad.

And Swiss is LX, not SX.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold 0.5 MM; BA Silver
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
But there should be loads of space across both oceans in UA F class.
I have not flown their " new, improved F" yet, but even their old one
was not SO bad.

And Swiss is LX, not SX.
I just sampled the new UA F suite on the 747 from SFO-FRA. The suite itself is fine, but not that much different from the old UA F suite except for the AVOD. In typical United stylee, the AVOD was on the fritz and almost no movies would play. The service and particularly the purser were very good for UA though. Somewhat of a service recovery in the air....
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Question

Is the 2 stopover rule allowed for int'l trans-Pacific/Atlantic routings?

So, in bestof2k9's example - YUL-YVR-HKG(stop)-FRA(stop)-YUL ??
Yes it is. 2 stop overs allowed for any intercontinental itinerary.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:35 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Braindrain & 2k9, that example is 1 stopover. The Point of Turnaround a.k.a. main destination (HKG) does not count as a stopover. So a stopover will also be allowed in YVR on that itin: You're really going from Montreal to Hong Kong with a stopover in Vancouver going & one in Frankfurt returning!
Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
we are curently booked on a *alliance bkk-nrt-sfo-phx (stop)-yyz-yow (point of turn around)-yyz-sfo-nrt-bkk-hkt. The journey begins on Jan 28th,2009

Given that as of Dec. 8th, I may be able to return via the atlantic, would I be able to change my itin to: bkk-nrt-sfo-phx (stop)-yyz-yow (point of turn around)-fra-mad (STOP)-fra-bkk-hkt!!
I think the new itin will be within the MPM.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brendan
Braindrain & 2k9, that example is 1 stopover. The Point of Turnaround a.k.a. main destination (HKG) does not count as a stopover. So a stopover will also be allowed in YVR on that itin: You're really going from Montreal to Hong Kong with a stopover in Vancouver going & one in Frankfurt returning!
Yes Brendan, thank you for pointing out the obvious. If you take a look at the example I used for the 2 stopover change you will see I said :

YVR-YYZ(STOP)-LHR(STOP)-YUL(STOP)-YVR

Stop in YYZ on outbound
LHR point of turnaround
Stop in YUL on inbound

Therefore 2 stops. In my post to braindrain I was merely answering that it will be possible to combine the 2 new changes and have 2 stops on an intinerary crossing both atlantic and pacific

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.