Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Lounge in FLL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2008, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
before AC worries about FLL perhaps LGA might be a more important MLL.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 9:26 am
ALW

And with next to no business customers why bother?
Because they're Elite? Paid for lounge membership? Flying J?

It's not like they'd have to build a lounge where no one comes, it would strictly be a pay as they go arrangement. And they'd only be spending the money on the members who are entitled to it.

=aw
Old Nov 16, 2008, 9:33 am
ALW

I didn't realize LGA vs FLL was an either/or. And I agree they get more business travellers in LGA, I was suggesting CRC access in FLL not building a lounge.

=aw
Old Nov 16, 2008, 1:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by why fly
before AC worries about FLL perhaps LGA might be a more important MLL.
Agreed. If you've been to LGA, the question is where?? There appears to be a lack of available real estate in their current surroundings.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 1:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by ALW
I didn't realize LGA vs FLL was an either/or. And I agree they get more business travellers in LGA, I was suggesting CRC access in FLL not building a lounge.

=aw
As a follow up to post #9, you're assuming that DL wasn't approached by AC concurrent with the terminal move. Who's to say that DL even wants them?? There may be staffing and capacity constraints before even pondering corporate considerations.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No Lounge access for AC customers now (outside of day passes and AX Plat cards), but once CO joins *A, I'm sure AC customers with the appropriate *A elite status can use the CO club at FLL, just like we CO folks will be able to use the Maple Leaf Lounge at Canadian airports.

After the alliance shift, expect NW to leave FLL T1 as their DTW/MSP/MEM flights will operate as DL flights from T2. AC will probably move to T1 and take NW's old gates there. I believe CO and AC also signed a codeshare agreement outside of the *A membership.

If I was a betting man, I would gamble that AC will drastically scale down their MIA service and boost their FLL service in its place due to UA's dwindling presence at MIA and FLL's status as a focus city for both CO and US.

I believe most Canadians flying to South Florida have residences or hotel preferences closer to the FLL catchment than MIA as the smarter visitors have moved away from the yuck that is Miami over the years in favor of Broward and southern Palm Beach counties.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 1:55 pm

MIA has already been scaled down in recent years. I remember a time where there were multiple daily 747's & L1011's with heaps of extra-section flights in peak season from YYZ/YUL and even triple daily service from YYZ in low season.

YYZ currently has 3 daily narrowbody flights in peak season reduced to 1 daily in low season. YUL only has weekend (SA/SU) service in peak season and no service in low season.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 2:05 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
MIA has already been scaled down in recent years. I remember a time where there were multiple daily 747's & L1011's with heaps of extra-section flights in peak season from YYZ/YUL and even triple daily service from YYZ in low season.

YYZ currently has 3 daily narrowbody flights in peak season reduced to 1 daily in low season. YUL only has weekend (SA/SU) service in peak season and no service in low season.
I remember riding on those 747s and L1011s as a child, although my first forays to South Florida were aboard AC DC8s. I think the dawn of low cost charter service (WardAir) and the splintering of Canadian visitors from Miami Beach to other parts of Florida were the demise of the big plane AC service.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Agreed. If you've been to LGA, the question is where?? There appears to be a lack of available real estate in their current surroundings.
AC was going to put in a lounge as posted on FT, however I'm sure if has not been cut it will be soon... the airline will be busy with Union contract and economy crash.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I remember riding on those 747s and L1011s as a child, although my first forays to South Florida were aboard AC DC8s. I think the dawn of low cost charter service (WardAir) and the splintering of Canadian visitors from Miami Beach to other parts of Florida were the demise of the big plane AC service.
As well as increased direct AC access to South America bypassing MIA as a connection gateway. The de-hubbing of UA and its connectivity at MIA was also a factor.

I remember the DC8's too...didn't want to date myself.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 2:25 pm
Suspended

I remember the 727 as we had an aborted landing...
Old Nov 16, 2008, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC AP Elite
IIRC, once upon a time AC had a lounge arrangement at SFO with DL & CO.

In 1999 they used TWA's-what a dump. It was obvious they were not long for this world!
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:01 am

Programs: UA Gold - Hyatt Plat - Nexus
Originally Posted by bocastephen
If I was a betting man, ...
Your post makes so much sense, I would say you would be making a very safe bet. Especially once AC moves to the new T1 in FLL, right in front of the spanking new rental car facility. And with CO's lounge access next year. Man, now we would be in business...^
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:11 pm
ALW

No Lounge access for AC customers now (outside of day passes and AX Plat cards), but once CO joins *A, I'm sure AC customers with the appropriate *A elite status can use the CO club at FLL, just like we CO folks will be able to use the Maple Leaf Lounge at Canadian airports.

After the alliance shift, expect NW to leave FLL T1 as their DTW/MSP/MEM flights will operate as DL flights from T2. AC will probably move to T1 and take NW's old gates there. I believe CO and AC also signed a codeshare agreement outside of the *A membership.
The FLL airport site shows AC in T2 with DL and CO in T1. I guess the only lounge access for a J-flying AC passenger is still a Day Pass from DL (or an Amex Plat card)? The DL access has gone up to $50 now.

Thanks!

=aw
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:27 pm

If any folks here have contacts at Air Canada HQ, ask them why they are not moving to T1 at FLL - there is plenty of counter space and they can easily work in gate assignments with CO/VX in the west pier.

Unless Broward Aviation Dep't nixed a terminal move request (which I doubt), I don't see why they are staying in T2...makes no sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.