Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The latest "enhancements" to Aeroplan

Old Nov 14, 08, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Aeroplan Announces Enhancements to Online Booking Capabilities and Changes to Flight Reward Fees

Montreal, QC, November 14, 2008 Aeroplan today announced changes to the fees related to flight reward bookings, in addition to a number of online enhancements that will be introduced on aeroplan.com throughout 2009. Aeroplan is simplifying the fee structure associated with its flight reward change and refund fees.

Starting today, the refund fee will decrease to $90 from $135.

As of February 1, 2009, the fee for changing a flight reward will increase to $90 from $55.

All fees are per person, per flight reward ticket.

In addition, a number of enhancements will be made to aeroplan.com in 2009 that will offer members more choice, greater flexibility, ease of use and robust self-service functionality, including:

Greater access to desired itineraries, by giving members the flexibility to select outbound and inbound flights separately to easily build the exact itinerary they want;

Simplified access to Star Alliance flight reward options in addition to the ClassicFlight and ClassicPlus flight rewards, making it easier for members to see all of the options available to them at a glance;

Enhanced alternate destinations functionality that is more relevant to the member's original desired destination;

Enhanced itinerary comparison functionality that will allow members to more easily compare selected itineraries by displaying them in a clear grid format, where all information will be displayed side-by-side.
Old Nov 14, 08, 6:36 pm

Programs: None. I'm cured.
Every time I hear AC use the words 'Enhance' and 'Simplify' in the same sentence......

I run screaming into my underground bunker, slam the heavy concrete doors, load all the automatic weapons and grab a bottle of cheap Mekong Whiskey.

MCM.

Last edited by Minicooperman; Nov 15, 08 at 1:03 am
Old Nov 14, 08, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by evdog19 View Post
Simplified access to Star Alliance flight reward options in addition to the ClassicFlight and ClassicPlus flight rewards, making it easier for members to see all of the options available to them at a glance;
It should also make it easier to see that a UA/US/LH/*A ticket is much much cheaper than an AC ticket because they don't rip you off on the fuel surcharge (which in another thread I pointed out is nearly 80% of the total fuel cost)
Old Nov 15, 08, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by evdog19 View Post
Starting today, the refund fee will decrease to $90 from $135.

As of February 1, 2009, the fee for changing a flight reward will increase to $90 from $55.

All fees are per person, per flight reward ticket.
They must have had more people looking to change reward flights, than actually refunding them!
Old Nov 15, 08, 11:24 am

Programs: several
what a total rip-off; yet again, Aeroplan scams travellers in favour of consumers of over-priced toasters.

Old Nov 15, 08, 11:47 am

Programs: AC*E75K MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat
Good news about being able to select outbound and inbound flights separately. That's one of the most fustrating things about their current system.
Old Nov 15, 08, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Tax Dude View Post
Good news about being able to select outbound and inbound flights separately. That's one of the most fustrating things about their current system.

I suspect that SE's still won't be able to select the preferred flights.
Old Nov 15, 08, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer View Post
I suspect that SE's still won't be able to select the preferred flights.
Only if you call.
Old Nov 15, 08, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CZBB View Post
It should also make it easier to see that a UA/US/LH/*A ticket is much much cheaper than an AC ticket because they don't rip you off on the fuel surcharge (which in another thread I pointed out is nearly 80% of the total fuel cost)
Only slightly easier - I'm sure the "taxes and Fees" won't show up until you go to actually book the flight, so it's not like you'll be able to compare the charges at a glance - only the schedule.
Old Nov 15, 08, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
At least all the enhancements proposed for the aeroplan.com site are desirable... the real question is whether they can be implemented correctly!
Old Nov 15, 08, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GJS - yow View Post
At least all the enhancements proposed for the aeroplan.com site are desirable... the real question is whether they can be implemented correctly!
Other than this one:

As of February 1, 2009, the fee for changing a flight reward will increase to $90 from $55
Old Nov 15, 08, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC Super Elite *G, United, Aeromexico
Angry

Quote "the fee for changing a flight reward will increase to $90 from $55"

This is getting abusive...
Old Nov 15, 08, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by twinkler View Post
Quote "the fee for changing a flight reward will increase to $90 from $55"

This is getting abusive...
Naw, abusive will be when the change fee exceeds the cost of buying a new ticket.

They really are set on reducing the utility of award flights for frequent flyers.
Old Nov 16, 08, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer View Post
Naw, abusive will be when the change fee exceeds the cost of buying a new ticket.

They really are set on reducing the utility of award flights for frequent flyers.
Ken, you are getting warmer. The idea is to get you to let the miles expire--then all is profit. So if your surcharges are higher than the cost of the ticket you may not use the award ( or buy toasters instead--you can easily get a 50 dollar toaster for say 8000 points--no surcharge!!)
Old Nov 16, 08, 10:11 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
Other than this one:

As of February 1, 2009, the fee for changing a flight reward will increase to $90 from $55
I agree - that's why my post stated "the enhancements proposed for the aeroplan.com site are desirable." I was referring to the four bulleted points at the end of the first post in this thread.

Anything that increases fees is a negative.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: