Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Trans-Pac business class reward ticketed for 100,000 miles. AP now wants 15K more.

Trans-Pac business class reward ticketed for 100,000 miles. AP now wants 15K more.

Old Nov 29, 2008, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by bestof2k9
Thats the thing, theres no guarantee that the fuel surcharge will be any lower. And since the fuel surcharge is based on direction, even if the system isint able to autoquote you might end up paying the same.
I invite you to try to find a same/higher fuel surcharge on Yxx - overseas - US destination through Canada versus Yxx - overseas - Yxx.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by jarusoba
But can this be allowed? YYZ-SYD-YYZ(Stopover)-ORD

I bet it's not!
No it is not (well actually it is - just costs you a bundle more points).
Old Nov 29, 2008, 5:19 pm

Remember guys. For entirely AC itinerarys going to Asia/South Pacific/Tel aviv you are allowed 1 stop on top of point of turn over AND one open jaw
Sorry for being OT, but I assume from your post that *A awards booked through aeroplan only allow an open jaw OR a stop over. I had always assumed that *A awards also allowed both a stop over and open jaw (or is it that you are not allowed to have the stop over within North America).

I had not yet phoned to try booking the following, but guess I better rethink my travel plans for next summer. I was wanting to do YEG-YVR-NRT(stopover)-SIN-PER (open jaw) SYD-YVR-YEG (I was planning to use IKK for all AC segments, which is why I didn't bother trying to book yet).
Old Nov 29, 2008, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Sorry for being OT, but I assume from your post that *A awards booked through aeroplan only allow an open jaw OR a stop over. I had always assumed that *A awards also allowed both a stop over and open jaw (or is it that you are not allowed to have the stop over within North America).

I had not yet phoned to try booking the following, but guess I better rethink my travel plans for next summer. I was wanting to do YEG-YVR-NRT(stopover)-SIN-PER (open jaw) SYD-YVR-YEG (I was planning to use IKK for all AC segments, which is why I didn't bother trying to book yet).
Here are the exact rules YEG USER,

Stopovers: No stopovers permitted

Exceptions:
- One stopover is permitted in addition to the point of turnaround for **Inter continental travel only**
- One stopover is permitted in addition to the point of turnaround between Canada/Cont. USA and Hawaii/Puerto Rico
- One stopover is permitted in addition to the point of turnaround between Canada/Continental USA and Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean.
- One stopover is permitted in addition to the point of turnaround within the same continent only when allowable routing must be via another continent:
ADD - LH - FRA(O) - LH - MAA: stop only permitted at the hub

International open JAW:

- One open jaw permitted at either the point of origin or the point of turnaround in addition to stopover when permitted- see above exceptions.

So yes your routing should be valid. However the rules for AC Rewards are different :

Stopovers:

One stop plus point of turnaround for all rewards except for to/from Australia/Asia/TLV where two stops plus the point of turnaround is allowed.

Open Jaw :

Permitted as follows:
- Must be either at the origin or point of turnaround.
- Open Jaws are permitted in lieu of a stop except for to/from
Australia/Asia/TLV where an open JAW could replace one of
the two stops permitted.
- The Open Jaw must be shorter than the shortest distance flown for
North American destinations. (Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico are
considered as domestic for open JAWS)
- Destinations must be in the same IATA zone for international
itineraries.

Never assume anything YEG USER! hehe
Old Nov 29, 2008, 5:28 pm

Slightly O/T, but regarding The Lev's post.

Would anyone be interested in seeing the actual breakdown of different taxes and fuel surcharge on an intinerary. And if so, which itinerary would you like to see?
Old Nov 29, 2008, 7:08 pm

bestof2k9, thanks for the information!

I did know of some differences between *A vs AC awards (I didn't assume everything was the same), but it is good to know the details!
Old Nov 29, 2008, 7:18 pm

Programs: A Few
Remember guys. For entirely AC itinerarys going to Asia/South Pacific/Tel aviv you are allowed 1 stop on top of point of turn over AND one open jaw

I just booked a *A Asia award yesterday and the agent told me that effective December 8 you will be allowed 2 stopovers, or 1 stopover and 1 open jaw(Asia awards).

Bestof2k9...can you confirm I was accurately informed?

If correct, it's a nice enhancement...gives you 3 destinations on one award.^
Old Nov 29, 2008, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
I just booked a *A Asia award yesterday and the agent told me that effective December 8 you will be allowed 2 stopovers, or 1 stopover and 1 open jaw(Asia awards).

Bestof2k9...can you confirm I was accurately informed?

If correct, it's a nice enhancement...gives you 3 destinations on one award.^
Hey Yycworldtraveler,

Unfortunatly I cannot confirm or deny this at the present time, there has been a briefing given regarding changes to *A rewards at our offices, but since I have been away for a month on vacation I have yet to receive it. As soon as I do get all the info I will keep you guys informed. Cheers!
Old Nov 29, 2008, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, BA, DL, AA, JL
Originally Posted by mad
The big question yet unanswered is why OP chose to change the flights in the first place. My feeling is that the AC at a higher redemption level was the more expeditious route, yet the other award ticket was available for fewer miles, so gamble on the change and hope to get away with it. Otherwise quit the caterwauling and go back to the original itinerary, don't worry about being dunned for the extra miles and even more importantly don't ris your flight because you are a right fighter.
Sorry, mad, but you're totally incorrect in respect of the emboldened and italicised text.

Why I chose to change my Trans-Pac flight to Canada is irrelevant. The only things that are relevant in this instance are what I was told the award would cost and what I agreed to pay for same.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, BA, DL, AA, JL
As I am supposed to fly tomorrow, and those many weeks ago my local Air Canada ticket office told me I wold have to call today by today and authorise the release of those extra 15,000 reward miles, I'm bumping this one last time to see if anyone has some last-minute thoughts on how to proceed. Starting to doubt myself; don't want to lose my reward seat.

If I call Air Canada to confirm the ticket, they are likely to ask for the 15,000 miles, I would think. (I would be calling the local ticket office,I guess.)
Old Dec 10, 2008, 5:48 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Maclock
As I am supposed to fly tomorrow, and those many weeks ago my local Air Canada ticket office told me I wold have to call today by today and authorise the release of those extra 15,000 reward miles, I'm bumping this one last time to see if anyone has some last-minute thoughts on how to proceed. Starting to doubt myself; don't want to lose my reward seat.

If I call Air Canada to confirm the ticket, they are likely to ask for the 15,000 miles, I would think. (I would be calling the local ticket office,I guess.)
I highly doubt the ticket has been cancelled, you would have informed. The worst that will happen, is the ckin agent may tell you that another 15,000 miles will be debited from your account.
In reality, I'm sure nothing but will happen, except a fun filled adventure just as you planned. Enjoy the trip.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 8:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Hey Yycworldtraveler,

Unfortunatly I cannot confirm or deny this at the present time, there has been a briefing given regarding changes to *A rewards at our offices, but since I have been away for a month on vacation I have yet to receive it. As soon as I do get all the info I will keep you guys informed. Cheers!
Is this from a MPM point of view a valid routing:

Canada via YVR to Sydney on AC,
stopover in Sydney,
Sydney to Auckland on Air NZ
stopover in Aukland,
Auckland to YVR via Air NZ

If this is a valid routing, am I allowed one more stopover, as per the new Aeroplan enhancements? If so, when will these new enhancements be announced on the Aeroplan web site?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.