Aeroplan to RBC Rewards/Avion Swap

Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Aeroplan to RBC Rewards/Avion Swap

If anyone is looking for a relatively efficient way to transfer from Aeroplan to RBC Rewards, it seems that this may be the least lossy way:

Need Aeroplan, EssoExtra, and RBC Rewards memberships and points.com account.

Transfer between 15000 - 50000 AE "miles" at points.com
to
Esso Extra and transfer at essoextra.com
to
RBC Rewards

Net is 0.693 * AE miles

Might be useful under certain circumstances.

Anyone know of any better transfer method between the two?
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by robsawatsky
If anyone is looking for a relatively efficient way to transfer from Aeroplan to RBC Rewards, it seems that this may be the least lossy way:

Need Aeroplan, EssoExtra, and RBC Rewards memberships and points.com account.

Transfer between 15000 - 50000 AE "miles" at points.com
to
Esso Extra and transfer at essoextra.com
to
RBC Rewards

Net is 0.693 * AE miles

Might be useful under certain circumstances.

Anyone know of any better transfer method between the two?
What if you then transferred from the Avion to the BA 1 !/2 promo.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 12:49 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by getaround
What if you then transferred from the Avion to the BA 1 !/2 promo.
once they are with RBC, you most certainly would be able to transfer to BA. the promo gets you pretty close to 1AE miles for 1BA. Not too bad and no cost.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
If you spend $2500 at Esso, you'll get 2500 Esso Extra points = 1500 RBC points which is 2250 BA points if you take advantage of the often available 1.5 point offer.

On the other hand, spending $2500 at Esso, even with the Aeroplan double point offer, you're only getting 1667 AP miles.

What a rip-off, Aeroplan!
Old Sep 30, 2008, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I wouldn't blame Aeroplan, it is Esso that has to but the points from Aeroplan, and
decides how many they will give to their customers.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 2:53 pm

Programs: AC*E, Fairmont PG, Starwood Gold, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by jarusoba
If you spend $2500 at Esso, you'll get 2500 Esso Extra points = 1500 RBC points which is 2250 BA points if you take advantage of the often available 1.5 point offer.

On the other hand, spending $2500 at Esso, even with the Aeroplan double point offer, you're only getting 1667 AP miles.

If you then use the Avion card to buy the gas, you'll get those points too!
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by fqtvboy
If you then use the Avion card to buy the gas, you'll get those points too!
....exactly....use avion and esso and for $2500 spend get 6000 BA miles on the 1:1.5. better yet, have a company that pays for your gas and do the foregoing and spend nothing and get 2.4 BA miles for every dollar your company spends as they reimburse you for doing your job.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:59 am

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by mkjr
....exactly....use avion and esso and for $2500 spend get 6000 BA miles on the 1:1.5. better yet, have a company that pays for your gas and do the foregoing and spend nothing and get 2.4 BA miles for every dollar your company spends as they reimburse you for doing your job.
Pesky fleet cards with no point accumulation!
Though I don't complain - I (my company) spends 5-6k a year on fuel (minimum), so that nets me a nice few AP miles for no $ out of my pocket
Old Jul 29, 2011, 8:27 pm

no need to post a new thread but does anyone know the limits on the coversion of AP to esso.

trying to move 130,000 AP miles. says can only transfer up to 50K at a time on points.com

want to make sure i can do 50K, 50K and 30K in immediate transactions one after another.

thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 1:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold

I know that this is an old post.. but want to clarfy..

Spending $2,500 on supreme would net you 2,500 esso extra points.. on their double promo would be 5,000 points..

Been collectng esso extra miles for 15 years..
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro

Spending $2,500 on supreme would net you 2,500 esso extra points.. on their double promo would be 5,000 points..

i thought you get 3 for 1$ supreme. do you mean 7500?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold

We're talking AE points..

I think you get 1 point for every $3 spent on regular.. so Supreme triple of regular would be 1 point for every $1 spent.. and double promo would be 2 points for every $1 spent..

You're rght in terms of Esso Extra Ponts..
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:23 pm

We're talking AE points..

I think you get 1 point for every $3 spent on regular.. so Supreme triple of regular would be 1 point for every $1 spent.. and double promo would be 2 points for every $1 spent..

You're rght in terms of Esso Extra Ponts..
given i get way more BA miles, i am not sure i have ever stuck my Ap card into an esso pump.

back to my original Q, anyone know if you can do three immediate AP to esso transfers?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:14 am
Suspended

given i get way more BA miles, i am not sure i have ever stuck my Ap card into an esso pump.

back to my original Q, anyone know if you can do three immediate AP to esso transfers?
You can use any cc including yours for BA miles.. the loyalty card swipe we're talking about in this thread is over and above any cc that you use..

For example, I could use my gold Amex and get double AE points for every dollar I spend on gas at Esso and get what we talked about over and above the cc points..

I can't really answer your transferring question.. but I've long accepted its not worth trying to convert between the two programs for myself..
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:22 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt

You've either mistaken or you've been ripped off. If you're swiping you Esso card, you should be earning 3x Esso points if you buy Supreme gas. So $2500 spending means 7500 Esso points.

Yes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.