Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Duct tape making its appearance on 777's

Old Sep 30, 08, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold

Flew AC033 to SYD on a 77L and noticed (shock and horror) use of duct tape in the J cabin where the metal flashing on the pods meets the aisle carpet.

I was also the lucky guy with a pod seat that needed to be manually re-set any time it was brought to the full upright position before it could be lowered.
Old Sep 30, 08, 8:24 am

That's a shame! I took AC033 YYZ-YVR recently, and ran into only a couple issues: dead power port at my seat, and the weird lack of under-seat space, which I wasn't expecting.

I chalk up the flight as a win though, because the crew allowed me up into the crew rest area to geek out. Great fun to see in person!
Old Sep 30, 08, 10:30 am

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
Flew AC033 to SYD on a 77L and noticed (shock and horror) use of duct tape in the J cabin where the metal flashing on the pods meets the aisle carpet.
I've seen that too - and on my beloved 6K!
Old Sep 30, 08, 8:56 pm

Programs: Accidental AC E35K
Oh. After spending more time than I care to remember on 762s I thought duct tape and baling wire were perfectly legitimate ways of maintaining aircraft.
Old Oct 1, 08, 6:11 pm

Programs: AC-E
Hmm...

I wonder if Red Green is an AC maintenance consultant...

Wooe
Old Oct 1, 08, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA

At least the duct tape isn't on the engine ala SQ once upon a time ago!
Old Oct 1, 08, 8:45 pm

Programs: AC *G, A3 *G

I was also the lucky guy with a pod seat that needed to be manually re-set any time it was brought to the full upright position before it could be lowered.

Yes your right.

Its Fin 701 or 702 I forget which one from my flight on AC 16 back in early Aug. with the duct tape on the floor piece in my pod and the wifes aswell - 6K and 6G there may have been more but did not look.

Cheers
Old Oct 5, 08, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM), BA Gold, Marriott Platinum (Lifetime), National Exec
I must say that I am a little disillusioned with the build quality on the 777's.

I've not seen the duct tape but I have noticed foam bulging out of the seams where the J pods meet the bulkheads. Makes me wonder if they weren't screwed down properly in the first place and they are starting to move due to torquing of the plane's airframe?

All that said, I'm extremely happy to have the 777's replacing the worn out 767's for those long hauls.
Old Oct 5, 08, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC S100K 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Platin Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thai1 View Post
Yes your right.

Its Fin 701 or 702 I forget which one from my flight on AC 16 back in early Aug. with the duct tape on the floor piece in my pod and the wifes aswell - 6K and 6G there may have been more but did not look.

Cheers
Just saw it on 77W FIN 731 last week, as well at seat 6K.
Old Oct 5, 08, 6:35 pm

I must say that I am a little disillusioned with the build quality on the 777's.
Keep in mind that the people who "build" the interiors are not necessarily the same people who build the plane.
Old Oct 6, 08, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
the PODS for sure have a design flaw, lot of the floor plastic parts are broken, however its an easy fix with duct tape Wait another year till the other design flaws come out Lets hope AC got a good long customer return policy on the seats.... maybe like Costco and they can return after 1 year for full credit.
Old Oct 6, 08, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by why fly View Post
the PODS for sure have a design flaw, lot of the floor plastic parts are broken, however its an easy fix with duct tape Wait another year till the other design flaws come out Lets hope AC got a good long customer return policy on the seats.... maybe like Costco and they can return after 1 year for full credit.
You think the people who designed the table did the best they could to get your fingers caught?

(As to the footrest that's not meant as a seat, that seems to be an AC decision.)

Seems like AC's purchase process precisely matches the very thing I would stay away from. Reminds me of my father and his lemons. :-(
Old Oct 6, 08, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
I did a RTW trip a few months back, and SQ both the seat and VOD were broken on my J flight SIN-MEL. Next LH SIN to FRA, had a broken seat in F and moved us before we got on the flight... so nobody seems to have GREAT equipment.
Old Oct 6, 08, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
You think the people who designed the table did the best they could to get your fingers caught?

(As to the footrest that's not meant as a seat, that seems to be an AC decision.)

Seems like AC's purchase process precisely matches the very thing I would stay away from. Reminds me of my father and his lemons. :-(
OMG ... Do I agree or what!!! Those tables!
I think whoever is doing the buying for these seats ( or selling them for that matter) should be required to sit in one of them for a minimum of 12 hours straight before any contract gets signed. I dare say that we would see a real improvement in the design and quality of seats and amenities.
Old Oct 6, 08, 2:48 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by internationalgal View Post
OMG ... Do I agree or what!!! Those tables!
I think whoever is doing the buying for these seats ( or selling them for that matter) should be required to sit in one of them for a minimum of 12 hours straight before any contract gets signed. I dare say that we would see a real improvement in the design and quality of seats and amenities.
No way! The seats have been installed and AC won't spend any more money to improve them! Other airlines have pods like AC. The CX 777 pods are similar in size but way better designed. The tables won't bite your fingers! And there is no blue LED lights to bug you in your sleep!

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: