Wiki Posts
Search

Bose.ca/aeroplan promotion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2008, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Bose.ca/aeroplan promotion

Last year I bough the Bose Wave to my entire satisfaction. Had it not been for the Aeroplan triple miles promotion, I would have never found out about that product.

This year the triple miles promo is back, and I am undecided but tempted to acquire their QC2 or QC3 headphones.

Can anyone recommend one or the other? The promo runs till the end of September.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 6:33 pm

Programs: AC*E, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
I bought a QC2 set (actually I bought them in the US as the Bose stores there had a free promo which included a cell phone adaptor.... and it was cheaper) as I like the over the ear style better. I find the over the ear style blocks out more noise passively - thus reducing the total noise reduction.

Some people find them uncomfortable - they prefer the "on ear" QC3s. Another disadvantage to the QC3 is the built in battery which requires recharging. when my QC2 battary is low, I just pop in a new AAA battery and I'm good.

Lastly I hear the QC3 has a bluetooth adaptor if such a thing is important to you, the QC2 does not.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 6:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Personally ... even with triple miles, I find the value in the Bose headphones to be rather low. There are many manufacturers now making NC headphones; it's worth your while to stop in at a store and try them out before forking out $350 for the Bose logo.

Personally, I bought a paid of Sony MDR-NC22 in-ear headphones. Less than $100 and they go in a tiny pouch that takes next to no space in my computer bag. While the noise reduction level is not quite as high, the increased portability makes up for it for me.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 7:11 pm

Programs: AC*SE
I just bought BOSE ear phones (buds) for my new Ipod and they are great!

Recommendation is in order but, as you all liely know, expensive - $129.00.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 7:52 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Yeah, I'd echo the recommendation to rethink this decision. For around/over-the-ear, Bose probably is the best out there (in terms of absolute reduction). Problem is, there's quite a price premium.

However, compared to in-ear, I believe there is no comparison (meaning in-ear is far better). You have a combo of passive and active noise cancellation. The difference was quite noticeable the first time I tried them.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 7:56 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I say the QC2s over the QC3s - the battery convenience alone makes it worth it - and they do a great job canceling noise. I've purchased three pairs so far... (one for my SO, one when I left a set on a plane) their warranty support is fantastic, the quality is very good, and most people I know find the in-ear models uncomfortable.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
I say the QC2s over the QC3s - the battery convenience alone makes it worth it - and they do a great job canceling noise. I've purchased three pairs so far... (one for my SO, one when I left a set on a plane) their warranty support is fantastic, the quality is very good, and most people I know find the in-ear models uncomfortable.
In-ear comfort is indeed a personal thing (though I find some around-the ear ones uncomfortable for long flights, too) -- but there are many different in-ear designs, and some may fit you better than others.

But the big thing for me is that QC2/QC3-style on/over-the-ear headphones just take way too much space -- I prefer a compact computer bag, and that conflicts with the storage of large headphones.

P.S. Watch out plugging nice headphones into the headphone jack in AC's new J pods. Reclining the seat can shear off the cord from the plug ... BTDT!
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:09 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by tomh009
Personally, I bought a paid of Sony MDR-NC22 in-ear headphones. Less than $100 and they go in a tiny pouch that takes next to no space in my computer bag. While the noise reduction level is not quite as high, the increased portability makes up for it for me.
That's what I am now using. I managed to break one and am now using the second set. Way better than my (old) Bose QC2 in terms of comfort and sound quality.

If you find the in-ear models uncomfortable, I think the key is to find the correct ear-plug size. You won't feel it if the size is right.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by Vaclav
Last year I bough the Bose Wave to my entire satisfaction. Had it not been for the Aeroplan triple miles promotion, I would have never found out about that product.

This year the triple miles promo is back, and I am undecided but tempted to acquire their QC2 or QC3 headphones.

Can anyone recommend one or the other? The promo runs till the end of September.

I have the QC3 and love them. I take them with me everywhere I travel. On any flight or train ride. Demo both and find the one you like. Its truly a matter of personal preference. They are best NC head phones.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:32 pm

Programs: AC 50K, MR Plat
I have recently purchased the Phillips SHN9500 which are over the ear and have found them quite good. They too are AAA battery powered, and collapse flat just as the QC3. I'm not sure how good the active noise cancellation is relative to the Bose, but for a fraction of the cost, I'm quite happy. I paid $59 at a Costco in the US. In Canada I've seen them going for $79. Overall, quite happy, and with Costco's return policy I'm in case I have a problem with them in the future.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 6:28 am

Although I've heard in-ear is supposed to be better for noise canceling, I've found that they lack in low (bass) reproduction when compared to larger headphones.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 6:37 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
It is very much a question of personal preference. I like the on ear style, although they get get uncomfortable after several hours. I have both QC3s and a pair of Senneheiser 300s. The Bose are maybe a little better, but the Senns are mcuh cheaper and come in a more convenient carrying case.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Vaclav

Vaclav go to a Bose store (there is one in Yorkdale mall) and try the QC2 vs QC3 - best way to find out what you like
Old Sep 15, 2008, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by omkhar
Vaclav go to a Bose store (there is one in Yorkdale mall) and try the QC2 vs QC3 - best way to find out what you like
I believe Vaclav is located in YUL so going to Yorkdale mike prove a little challenging.

In any case, I'm sure there's a Bose outlet somewhere in YUL where you can try them. I personally prefer the on ear experience as I found over the ear to be tiring after a few hours. Having said that, even the on ear experience hurts my ears (from having them pressed in, not from a volume perspective) after listening for more than 5 - 6 hours.

I've found that the battery issue of QC3 is not an issue - it lasts for YYZ - HKG so that's good enough for me. Once I get to the hotel, I just recharge and it's no big deal.

As others have pointed out there are many choices now in noise cancelling and noise isolating headsets so it really comes down to personal choice these days.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 8:43 am

doesn't look like there is a Bose store in YUL...

http://www.bose.ca/controller?event=...er_locator.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.