Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Airside vehicle activity is dealt with by the "Airport Traffic Regulations" set out in the Government Property Traffic Act (R.S.C 1985, c. G-6). Of interest is the section that relates to speed;

35 No person shall drive a motor vehicle on an apron or manoeuvring area in a manner that is dangerous to persons, aircraft, vehicles or equipment, having regard to all the circumstances including the amount of traffic thereon or reasonably expected to be thereon.

I have highlighted the word dangerous. Technically, if the driver was charged under this section, then the term dangerous is reasonable.
And while the term Aviation Act is not correct, Transport Canada is the legal owner of Pearson international, so I can see why someone could be confused and mix up the reference.
Here's an excerpt from the Airside Traffic Directives (at a different airport, but the same or similar wording would apply at Pearson): Motor Vehicle Act and Criminal Code of Canada

To maintain a valid AVOP, all airside driving rules must be followed. In addition, as airside aprons and roadways are “private road” “highways,” a number of provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act and all provisions relating to motor vehicles in the Criminal Code of Canada apply to the airside operation of motor vehicles.

Note that limited sections of the provincial motor vehicle act would be enforced against industrial users of private road highways.

In reading the enforcement provisions, they are rather toothless, so the accused isn't going to be sweating too much.If convicted there is no provision for demerit points and the only prohibition that can be imposed is a forbidding to drive on government property for up to a year. The penalty also allows for the fines under the applicable Ontario road regulations and at worse, imprisonment of up to 6 months.
To the contrary, if found at fault, this driver will likely lose his or her RAIC (or issued a 'terminal-only' RAIC...unlikely for a Menzies employee), rendering airside employment in any role impossible. The highest category of airside driving violation would result in airside driving privileges being revoked for 12 months. There may be implications for a provincial driver's license, if the OPP or RCMP deems such charges are necessary.

For there to be a charge this fast, there must have been some compelling evidence.
Compelling evidence in the form, say, of major damage to aircraft and truck? The collision would likely have been captured on airport cameras. One of the first things asked when responding to such events is that the security staff find and retain video evidence, and it would be available to investigators within minutes.

Considering the inferno that we just saw in Russia, it would not be an unreasonable expectation if crew and some pax wished to have a "word" in private with the truck driver.
Crew and passengers can sit back down and leave the 'private words' to those in authority. Stripes on a polyester shoulder and/or fear for one's personal safety do not allow for vigilantism.
canopus27 likes this.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; May 11, 2019 at 6:46 pm
Old May 12, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Here's an excerpt from the Airside Traffic Directives (at a different airport, but the same or similar wording would apply at Pearson): Motor Vehicle Act and Criminal Code of Canada

To maintain a valid AVOP, all airside driving rules must be followed. In addition, as airside aprons and roadways are “private road” “highways,” a number of provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act and all provisions relating to motor vehicles in the Criminal Code of Canada apply to the airside operation of motor vehicles.

Note that limited sections of the provincial motor vehicle act would be enforced against industrial users of private road highways.

To the contrary, if found at fault, this driver will likely lose his or her RAIC (or issued a 'terminal-only' RAIC...unlikely for a Menzies employee), rendering airside employment in any role impossible. The highest category of airside driving violation would result in airside driving privileges being revoked for 12 months. There may be implications for a provincial driver's license, if the OPP or RCMP deems such charges are necessary.

Compelling evidence in the form, say, of major damage to aircraft and truck? The collision would likely have been captured on airport cameras. One of the first things asked when responding to such events is that the security staff find and retain video evidence, and it would be available to investigators within minutes.

Crew and passengers can sit back down and leave the 'private words' to those in authority. Stripes on a polyester shoulder and/or fear for one's personal safety do not allow for vigilantism.
Pearson is federal property and subject to federal law. The Ontario Highway Traffic Act does not apply. The federal regulations set out the penalties. The penalties are relatively toothless because a negligent fuel truck driver on the 401 could lose his license for a year or more. However, while a negligent fuel truck driver at Pearson might not be able to operate on the tarmac for a short period of time, that driver could continue to drive on the 401. Violations on federal property do not necessarily appear on the provincially maintained driving record, particularly if they are not entered as an offense under the Highway Traffic Act.

The balance of your opinion on the applicable law is irrelevant, since the laws you reference are inapplicable.

My use of the term compelling, was self evident. Obviously there must have been a credible eye witness(es) or a recording. My understanding is that the fuel trucks can be equipped with speed monitoring/recording devices.

You appear to be oblivious to the fact that a case must be made before any employee can be terminated or subject to a prejudicial change in employment conditions. If the employee is unionized, there will be a lengthy process. Should the employee successfully offer an explanation of fatigue or an underlying illness, it will be difficult to terminate the employee. There are drivers who have had crashes who are still on the tarmacs of airports in Canada. The fact that this information is not disseminated, does not mean that such employees are not present. That is is the reality.

I do not need a lecture on morality. My comment was that it would not be unexpected if crew and some pax wished to have a "word" in private with the truck driver, meaning that the victims would be annoyed and perhaps angry. There was no claim of vigilantism. It is to be expected and no different than what one sees when a speeding vehicle runs a red light and runs into a bus. People do not get off the bus and rush over to congratulate the driver and commend him/her on the execution of the vehicle impact.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Dare I say that the driver should be tested for legal and illegal drugs? Or, if charged already, perhaps he admitted fault or failed some sobriety tests.

I was gonna fuel up the plane, but I was high
I was gonna pull right over and stop but I was high
Now I broke a whole plane - because I got high

Looks like the plane is written off, because I got high
Passengers jumped off the plane, and I know why
- because I got high, because I got high, because I got high....
Old May 28, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Pearson is federal property and subject to federal law. The Ontario Highway Traffic Act does not apply. The federal regulations set out the penalties. The penalties are relatively toothless because a negligent fuel truck driver on the 401 could lose his license for a year or more. However, while a negligent fuel truck driver at Pearson might not be able to operate on the tarmac for a short period of time, that driver could continue to drive on the 401. Violations on federal property do not necessarily appear on the provincially maintained driving record, particularly if they are not entered as an offense under the Highway Traffic Act.

The balance of your opinion on the applicable law is irrelevant, since the laws you reference are inapplicable.

My use of the term compelling, was self evident. Obviously there must have been a credible eye witness(es) or a recording. My understanding is that the fuel trucks can be equipped with speed monitoring/recording devices.

You appear to be oblivious to the fact that a case must be made before any employee can be terminated or subject to a prejudicial change in employment conditions. If the employee is unionized, there will be a lengthy process. Should the employee successfully offer an explanation of fatigue or an underlying illness, it will be difficult to terminate the employee. There are drivers who have had crashes who are still on the tarmacs of airports in Canada. The fact that this information is not disseminated, does not mean that such employees are not present. That is is the reality.

I do not need a lecture on morality. My comment was that it would not be unexpected if crew and some pax wished to have a "word" in private with the truck driver, meaning that the victims would be annoyed and perhaps angry. There was no claim of vigilantism. It is to be expected and no different than what one sees when a speeding vehicle runs a red light and runs into a bus. People do not get off the bus and rush over to congratulate the driver and commend him/her on the execution of the vehicle impact.
Hi TPF, and sorry for the much-delayed response (been rather busy at work the past 2.5 weeks). With respect, and I'm not sure if you're an aviation lawyer, but much of the above retort is laden with inaccuracies. Provincial regulations apply to industrial (ie: airport) roads within each province, but as mentioned previously, those regulations are limited. In the case of Fuel Truck v Dash, the airport authority and likely the local police would attend and each would consider issuing a violation, one to airside-specific vehicle operations, the other for general motor vehicle operation. It matters not that the underlying land is federally-owned and leased to the airport authority. The local (Peel Regional) police department has full jurisdictional authority on airport property - airside or otherwise. Your statement "Violations on federal property do not necessarily appear on the provincially maintained driving record" is true, but not sure why you included it, as it's not a point I was advancing.

Also curious is your comment: "You appear to be oblivious to the fact that a case must be made before any employee can be terminated or subject to a prejudicial change in employment conditions". Well, yes...did I state differently? You might want to go back and parse my comment, which included the phrase "if found at fault". It's fair not to default to an assumption that others are oblivious to the process involved to reach that conclusion.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://globalnews.ca/news/5349341/a...ight-diverted/

Medical emergency diverts Los Angeles-bound Air Canada flight to Salt Lake City
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:06 am

https://simpleflying.com/air-canada-...lon-collision/

An Air Canada Rouge Airbus A321 was in a scare on Sunday. The aircraft is reported to have hit a weather balloon while flying at FL360.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:02 am

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/passing-duckli...port-1.4477470

Passing ducklings delay Air Canada Dreamliner at YVR airport
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:39 pm

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/air-canada-fli...-yvr-1.4479220

An Air Canada flight bound for Alaska was forced to make an emergency landing at Vancouver International Airport Sunday afternoon.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by tcook052

An Air Canada flight bound for Alaska was forced to make an emergency landing at Vancouver International Airport Sunday afternoon.
Fortunately, there was a failure of only one engine. But the action was carried out perfectly!
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
AC8615 (YYZ-YSB) returned to YYZ due to weather. Upon taxiing to the gate it was hit by a Menzies fuel truck. 5 people injured (including all 3 crew) and the driver of the truck has been charged with dangerous driving.

Aircraft involved was a DH3 C-FJXZ

Tweet link:
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
FOR SALE: A slightly damaged Dash-8-300 series!
Looks like they've repaired a lot of the airframe damage already..
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:33 am

Emergency Landing in Hawaii

Honolulu, HI, USA

01:23pm July 11, 2019 EDT

LOCAL NEWS

Haven't see this posted yet.... #BREAKING: An Air Canada flight that took off from Vancouver to Australia overnight has been forced to make an emergency landing in Hawaii, and multiple passengers are believed to be injured. b

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/air-canada-fli...ries-1.4504107
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
If it helps EF shows the following:

Comments:
AC0033/11JUL EQU ACA77WC01
CTY TML ARR DEP GRND AIR CABINS J O Y
YYZ - 2015 - 04.49
YVR 2204 2350 01.46 15.30
SYD 0820*2 TOTAL TIME YYZSYD 22.05
YYZ 2015 YVR 2204 77W
DEP TML T1 GATE --/D41
ARR TML M GATE --/-----
YVR 2350 SYD 0820 77W
DEP TML M GATE --/D51
ARR TML GATE --/-----
RMKS/WAS 77L NOW 77W ACCT FIN 706 DIVERTED TO HNL - UPGAUGE FOR

POSS PRO ACCT DIVERTED AC033/11WAS 77L NOW 77W ACCT FIN 706 DI
VERTED TO HNL - UPGAUGE FOR POSS PRO ACCT DIVERTED AC033/11
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by dr_torch
That is for today's AC33. The incident affected yesterday's AC33. EF doesn't yet have anything reflecting the diversion.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:09 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by dr_torch
A slight tangent, but does anyone know what "PRO" means in this context?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.