Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
From the CBC article (this photo wasn't there earlier today)

A large dent can be seen beneath the cockpit of the plane. (Submitted by Daniel Demers)

Prop looks bent too!
Old May 10, 2019, 8:59 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by CleverJesse
From the CBC article (this photo wasn't there earlier today)

A large dent can be seen beneath the cockpit of the plane. (Submitted by Daniel Demers)

Prop looks bent too!
Wow!

Looks gnarly and could have been really, really bad.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
AC8615 (YYZ-YSB) returned to YYZ due to weather. Upon taxiing to the gate it was hit by a Menzies fuel truck. 5 people injured (including all 3 crew) and the driver of the truck has been charged with dangerous driving.

Aircraft involved was a DH3 C-FJXZ

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...sion-1.5130624
Not sure if this is sloppy reporting, etc...

The collision occurred around 1:36 a.m. ET Friday as Flight 8615 was taxiing to a gate in Terminal 1 with 51 passengers aboard.
51 pax on a DH3?

According to Peel Regional Police Sgt. Bancroft Wright, the tanker truck struck the plane and the driver has been charged with dangerous operation of a vehicle under the federal Aviation Act.

"The plane was pretty much written off," Wright told CBC Toronto.
How would Sgt. Wright know that the plane was a write off? Looks like body damage near the stairs and possible propeller damage. Is this the aircraft equivalent of a fender bender? Maybe due to the age of the plane it isn't worth replacing, but wouldn't a full assessment and quote be needed to make this determination?

If AC will actually be 1 aircraft short in the fleet, the timing sucks with the 7M8 groundings, etc.

Although this could have been catastrophic. Imagine if the fuel tank on the tanker truck had ruptured...
Old May 10, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by YEG USER
51 pax on a DH3?
Could either be 51 people (incl crew), or 50 pax + 1 lap child.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:12 am
5mm
Suspended

51 pax on a DH3?

How would Sgt. Wright know that the plane was a write off? Looks like body damage near the stairs and possible propeller damage. Is this the aircraft equivalent of a fender bender? Maybe due to the age of the plane it isn't worth replacing, but wouldn't a full assessment and quote be needed to make this determination
Looks more than a fender bender to me. The truck most likely destroyed the radar and cockpit electronic.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

51 pax on a DH3?

How would Sgt. Wright know that the plane was a write off? Looks like body damage near the stairs and possible propeller damage. Is this the aircraft equivalent of a fender bender? Maybe due to the age of the plane it isn't worth replacing, but wouldn't a full assessment and quote be needed to make this determination?

If AC will actually be 1 aircraft short in the fleet, the timing sucks with the 7M8 groundings, etc.

Although this could have been catastrophic. Imagine if the fuel tank on the tanker truck had ruptured...
Grain of CBC salt... or in this case, a truckload.

(I had the exact same thoughts as you when reading the article)
Old May 10, 2019, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I think the most interesting part of that story is the charge of "dangerous operation of a motor vehicle". We've seen a few airside collisions in this thread, but I don't think any ever resulted in criminal charges.
D582 and Transpacificflyer like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think the most interesting part of that story is the charge of "dangerous operation of a motor vehicle". We've seen a few airside collisions in this thread, but I don't think any ever resulted in criminal charges.
Not sure what he was actually charged with. The article states "dangerous operation of a vehicle under the federal Aviation Act" but there is no "Aviation Act", there is an Aeronautics Act and it doesn't contain "dangerous operation of a vehicle" clause that I could find.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by acysb87
Not this time Appreciate you thinking about my well being^
Originally Posted by acysb87
Was not on that flight, either
Glad you weren't part of either one!
Old May 10, 2019, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by robsaw
Not sure what he was actually charged with. The article states "dangerous operation of a vehicle under the federal Aviation Act" but there is no "Aviation Act", there is an Aeronautics Act and it doesn't contain "dangerous operation of a vehicle" clause that I could find.
"According to Peel Regional Police Sgt. Bancroft Wright, the tanker truck struck the plane and the driver has been charged with dangerous operation of a vehicle."

I assumed that was just the Criminal Code offense.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:57 pm

Dangerous operation is usually code for being on a cell phone.
Old May 10, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by s_yvr
Is that illegal in Ontario? Basically touching your phone while driving is illegal in Alberta.
Old May 10, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s_yvr
lol btw just wrect ac dh3 fml brb!

(too soon?)

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Is that illegal in Ontario? Basically touching your phone while driving is illegal in Alberta.
Yes, illegal in Ontario, as part of the HTA.
expert7700 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by robsaw
Airside vehicle activity is dealt with by the "Airport Traffic Regulations" set out in the Government Property Traffic Act (R.S.C 1985, c. G-6). Of interest is the section that relates to speed;

35 No person shall drive a motor vehicle on an apron or manoeuvring area in a manner that is dangerous to persons, aircraft, vehicles or equipment, having regard to all the circumstances including the amount of traffic thereon or reasonably expected to be thereon.

I have highlighted the word dangerous. Technically, if the driver was charged under this section, then the term dangerous is reasonable.
And while the term Aviation Act is not correct, Transport Canada is the legal owner of Pearson international, so I can see why someone could be confused and mix up the reference.

In reading the enforcement provisions, they are rather toothless, so the accused isn't going to be sweating too much.If convicted there is no provision for demerit points and the only prohibition that can be imposed is a forbidding to drive on government property for up to a year. The penalty also allows for the fines under the applicable Ontario road regulations and at worse, imprisonment of up to 6 months.

In respect to the aircraft, I will not be surprised if this is a constructive total loss. The impact tore into the flight deck. The force was such that both vehicle and aircraft spun with the fuel truck then hitting the propeller, implicating the engine and wing, and then hitting the rear of the aircraft. Tom Podelec's twitter feed has some horrifying photos. It is understandable why the pilots and front FA would have sustained their injuries. I don't think anyone would want to fly on a small aircraft which has suffered this type of extensive structural damage.

For there to be a charge this fast, there must have been some compelling evidence. Considering the inferno that we just saw in Russia, it would not be an unreasonable expectation if crew and some pax wished to have a "word" in private with the truck driver.
Old May 11, 2019, 4:09 pm

VASAviation has posted ATC and further details on this event:

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.