Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I guess for the short term the best way to get to India is via the ME3 carriers since they do not have to pass thru PAK airspace. Or via Asia.
They likely will plan an alternate route quickly - like they had to do during the Iran-Iraq war, etc. Wonder if some of the long haul flights have enough fuel to follow a possibly longer alternate route.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by vernonc
I guess for the short term the best way to get to India is via the ME3 carriers since they do not have to pass thru PAK airspace. Or via Asia.
They likely will plan an alternate route quickly - like they had to do during the Iran-Iraq war, etc. Wonder if some of the long haul flights have enough fuel to follow a possibly longer alternate route.
I think the bigger concern is going there if a full blown war on.

Esp DEL. Much blustering but exhortations for calm. Both nuclear equipped.

If it settles down today likely airspace will reopen quickly.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Tweet link:

Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Not an expert, but it looks like they did a full 360 somewhere over Norway?
Hopefully just a 180 ...

CTV coverage: https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/air-canad...pace-1.4314924
Mauricio23 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Having been involved in In-Flight diversions often winding up in places that have limited resources, staff, clearance facilities, etc. this is infinitely the best option under very difficult circumstances.
worldtrav, Jazzed91, wrp96 and 8 others like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I seem to remember AC flying over Crimea a lot longer than anyone else(??). If so, it wasn't closed airspace, just a bad idea.

Not a lot of places closer into Pakistan that one would want to be forced to land at.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Having been involved in In-Flight diversions often winding up in places that have limited resources, staff, clearance facilities, etc. this is infinitely the best option under very difficult circumstances.
Fair comment, and am in no way questioning the decision to return to Toronto, but I fail to understand how any of the likely European diversion airports might be considered limited in any of the stated resources/infrastructure, nor how this was a particularly difficult circumstance.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Fair comment, and am in no way questioning the decision to return to Toronto, but I fail to understand how any of the likely European diversion airports might be considered limited in any of the stated resources/infrastructure, nor how this was a particularly difficult circumstance.
What is the point is going elsewhere if they'll need to bring both plane and passengers back to Canada anyway?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
What is the point is going elsewhere if they'll need to bring both plane and passengers back to Canada anyway?
As I said, I'm not disputing the decision to return to Toronto. It makes sense for a bunch of different reasons. I was questioning ACYYZ/SD's rationale re: en route diversion airports - the reasons he/she listed don't seem to apply in this case.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Feb 27, 2019 at 10:58 am Reason: Reworded for clarity
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
As I said, I'm not disputing the decision to return to Toronto. I was questioning ACYYZ/SD's link between this instance and the fact that some diversion airports he/she has flown to are limited in terms of staff, resources and infrastructure.
Even busy AC stations in Europe might well not have resources to make the experience comfortable. An extra aircraft is going to be a burden to the gate or two worth of crew AC has on station... especially if they land in some window when the crew are all at home.
24left likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Even busy AC stations in Europe might well not have resources to make the experience comfortable. An extra aircraft is going to be a burden to the gate or two worth of crew AC has on station... especially if they land in some window when the crew are all at home.
Exactly. Sure, they could have gone to LHR or FRA, but then the DEL flight is still cancelled, and AC would have a bird in the wrong county, with a whole plane full of people who AC would be on the hook to fly somewhere else ....

At the end of the day, if those people are all already on a plane (and they were) and that plane has enough fuel to get back to the origin (and it did), it's hard to imagine a better option.
24left, jc94 and AceReport like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
If there were numerous passengers holding Indian passports, they would need an EU visa for entry into any schengen country no?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:26 am

@RangerNS Fair point, and was likely considered at the time, or more likely, before the aircraft departed Toronto.
@trek604...yes. This would have been an airline and/or passenger limitation, not an airport one.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Difficult certainly for the Customers who were unable to get to their intended destination and comprehend the decision for turning around mid-flight.

There are no offshore stand-by Crews in the event of a timeout, limited contract staff at various airports, and in the end probably easier for a portion of the Customers to return to the their home base (YYZ) rather than to sit in a hotel or await alternative arrangements until the current political situation is sorted out. Just my opinion based on past experience. Dropping in unexpectedly also carries with it a multitude of visa and documentation issues.
sram, canadiancow, 24left and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Difficult certainly for the Customers...There are no offshore stand-by Crews.
Understand the difficulty for the customers. Was thinking solely in diffilculty-for-the-airline terms - it seemed to be a straightforward response to a predictable, if not routine, circumstance.
Appreciate the point about standby flight crews. I was thinking there's lots of AC ground staff at the busier destinations in Europe, particularly given the time of day the plane did its turnaround.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.