Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I wonder how long it takes to repair that type of damage?
I am thinking that question will be answered in March or April, when someone notices it is back in service.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/smell-...onto-1.4237695

Smell of burning plastic forces Air Canada flight to return to Toronto
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I wonder how long it takes to repair that type of damage?
Good question, I suspect it could take just a couple weeks*, but the realities of having the necessary parts and technicians not previously committed to other jobs will stretch it out over several additional weeks. Given the time of year, AC might not be in a particular hurry to get the aeroplane back into service, and thus can afford to wait until a suitable repair slot opens up. If it were the height of the summer season, they might pull out all the stops to get it repaired, with work around the clock, paying extra to bump forward in the priority queue. A Zone 1 repair, as it were.

Two company sources indicate it will be March before it flies again.

* disclaimer: I don't know the extent of the damage beyond an "oooooh, that looks bad" assessment from a company AME.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Having it out of service for months could delay wifi installations, though.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I flew that tail strike Fin 733 to HKG and posted photos on FT from inflight. And yes, that this fin is 1 less 777 in service in the fleet, may cause other fins that do not have wifi, not to be able to go out of service to get it.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by 24left
I flew that tail strike Fin 733 to HKG and posted photos on FT from inflight. And yes, that this fin is 1 less 777 in service in the fleet, may cause other fins that do not have wifi, not to be able to go out of service to get it.
I wonder if this incident why my YYZ-LHR in a week seems to have been downgauged from a 77W to 77L (only for a single day, the day I'm on it).
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
It could impact some 789 installs, but they are working on a mitigation plan. In addition, one a330 is out for a heavy check.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
It could impact some 789 installs, but they are working on a mitigation plan. In addition, one a330 is out for a heavy check.
Which I suggested in my comment

.....And yes, that this fin is 1 less 777 in service in the fleet, may cause other fins that do not have wifi, not to be able to go out of service to get it.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:56 pm

Which I suggested in my comment
I am not disputing that at all.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I am not disputing that at all.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
On the upside, the later it returns to service, the closer they'll be to a solution for expensive aerial park benches.

I flew that tail strike Fin 733 to HKG and posted photos on FT from inflight.
I'm not sure anybody is unaware of this. Perhaps you need to work on your landings.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
I am due to fly a 777 later this month. I am getting EF alerts as to plane swaps constantly. All within the 777 family so far. And I seem to keep my seat. But it is interesting to see the back and forth.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
It's a Canadian CBSA requirement that any passengers that have officially left Canada (via US pre-clearance or any other means) need to be processed on their first return to Canada, even if their feet didn't touch foreign soil. If passengers have been processed back into Canada and wish to depart on a transborder flight - they'll need to be cleared by US immigration. Embarking upon an aborted flight-to-nowhere does not alter these requirements.
Just catching up on FT after a while away and stumbled across this... if this is indeed a CBSA requirement, someone forgot to tell the folks handling our flight. I’m sitting comfortably in the YUL TB after our US-bound plane returned to the gate for a MX problem. We were guided directly to the gate area — not the passage that leads to Canadian customs — and sat there a while waiting for news. We were given meal vouchers, a new departure time, and allowed to wander the TB section of the terminal at will.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:03 am

@ffsim You're fortunate. Even with large and ponderous government agencies, discrepancies occur. Or maybe because they're large and ponderous. I was allowed to wear a hat and smile for my Nexus card picture. US CBP officers in some airports have expressed amazement at the deviation from cheerless passport-style rules. Isn't this where the YMMV acronym comes into play?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Isn't this where the YMMV acronym comes into play?
YMMV has never really been my experience, or expectation for that matter, when it comes to a country’s entry requirements. Passengers “need[ing] to be processed” isn’t really something that’s up to a CBSA or airline agent’s discretion.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.