Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by 24left
Here she is, my little Fin 733, an hour ago at the HKIA HAECO facility.

I hope she is getting the care and attention she needs and at least she's not alone there.

Photo taken by a friend at 9:56am Sunday December 30, 2018.

Good to see AC is entering a JV with UA! Look forward to accessing E+ seating on future AC flights

-James
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by After Burner
No, we were not kept on the TB side. All pax had to clear Canadian Customs and repeat security and preclearance.
Blech

Any ideas why this is a requirement? I suppose there was a chance that the flight could be cancelled and they'd be forced to enter land-side but I always thought it was one of those things where they'd cross that bridge when they get there. What am I missing here?

-James
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Blech

Any ideas why this is a requirement? I suppose there was a chance that the flight could be cancelled and they'd be forced to enter land-side but I always thought it was one of those things where they'd cross that bridge when they get there. What am I missing here?

-James
its happened to me several times on TB flights even when theyve gone mechanical at the gate. Its apparently a US customs requirement - passengers are pre-cleared based on a specific aircraft. You need to be cleared by US customs a second time. Big issue at YYZ when this happens after US customs closes
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by martyYOW

its happened to me several times on TB flights even when theyve gone mechanical at the gate. Its apparently a US customs requirement - passengers are pre-cleared based on a specific aircraft. You need to be cleared by US customs a second time. Big issue at YYZ when this happens after US customs closes
I always thought YYZ never closes!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by RangerNS
As far as any given brand not costing more than that brand does outside of an airport? I don't believe you. And/or, I would not necessarily want to purchase food at a $10/meal fast food place, and the randomly branded sit-down places for sure cost more than random sit-down places anywhere else.
To prove that I'm mistaken, please go out and buy any item(s) sold at Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Burger King, Hudson News, Absolute Spa, White Spot, 7-11, Wendy's, Booster Juice, Vera's, Carl's Jr etc - at any of their outlets throughout Metro Vancouver, and again at their YVR stores. Report back with the price differences.

Originally Posted by MartyYow
It’s apparently a US customs requirement - passengers are pre-cleared based on a specific aircraft. You need to be cleared by US customs a second time.
It's a Canadian CBSA requirement that any passengers that have officially left Canada (via US pre-clearance or any other means) need to be processed on their first return to Canada, even if their feet didn't touch foreign soil. If passengers have been processed back into Canada and wish to depart on a transborder flight - they'll need to be cleared by US immigration. Embarking upon an aborted flight-to-nowhere does not alter these requirements.

Originally Posted by 24left
Fin 733, an hour ago at the HKIA HAECO facility.
It will be out of service for at least one month.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
To prove that I'm mistaken, please go out and buy any item(s) sold at Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Burger King, Hudson News, Absolute Spa, White Spot, 7-11, Wendy's, Booster Juice, Vera's, Carl's Jr etc - at any of their outlets throughout Metro Vancouver, and again at their YVR stores. Report back with the price differences.
That would be a $2k experiment for me, but I would never go to any of those places for ore than a coffee, which I grant, may well be the same. Its the sit down non-chain restaurants which have inflated prices.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by RangerNS
That would be a $2k experiment for me, but I would never go to any of those places for ore than a coffee, which I grant, may well be the same. Its the sit down non-chain restaurants which have inflated prices.
Let's take this to a different thread. There are no sit-down non-chain restaurants at YVR (the Globe & Jetside belong to the Fairmont). I admire your tenacious adherence to defend your claim.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Did every passenger receive $500+ in compensation? Was it offered proactively or did you have to ask for it ? Was it cash or a voucher ?
I didn't talk to any other pax so I don't know what they received. I didn't ask for compensation. I was handed $30 in meal vouchers at the gate, received two emails shortly after arriving back at YVR: one was a promotion code for a discount and the other an eCoupon.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:37 pm
5mm
Suspended

A spokesperson from Air Canada told CTVNews.ca in an email that passengers were given discount for future travel, free meals on board and there was also a special buffet meal at the gate while they were waiting to board the aircraft.

This is the problem with social media, FT included. People state things as fact, without knowing anything about the situation.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm
A spokesperson from Air Canada told CTVNews.ca in an email that passengers were given discount for future travel, free meals on board and there was also a special buffet meal at the gate while they were waiting to board the aircraft.
Seems moderately acceptable No doubt our friend Gbor will chime in that this is a perfect example of why we need a passengers bill of rights! Using his logic, Gate Agents should have a bill of rights for the amount of abuse they receive from DYKWIA and kettles!

-James
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Seems moderately acceptable No doubt our friend Gbor will chime in that this is a perfect example of why we need a passengers bill of rights! Using his logic, Gate Agents should have a bill of rights for the amount of abuse they receive from DYKWIA and kettles!

-James
Hey wait! Weren't you the most vocal about how unreasonable AC has been in this thread?
canadiancow and 5mm like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer

It will be out of service for at least one month.
Yikes. I didn't have much luck with some of the other 777 fleet over the holidays, either. In addition, noticed a few 777 flights cancel over the past week.
Outbound to YYZ for the holidays, got asked to move out of 5A while already taxiing as the footrest would not stow completely.
Today on the way back to YVR, tray table wouldn't stay locked (5A again!) so was moved across the aisle. That seat was stuck in the up and locked position (service director: "now I remember why there's no one sitting there!") so I was between both seats for the flight depending on what I was trying to do. Mid J lav out of service. Front lav had no water for the sink, just a bunch of wipes a la CRJ. Yikes!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Hey wait! Weren't you the most vocal about how unreasonable AC has been in this thread?
Yes, based on the information at the time which was AC only provided a $10 voucher. I think anyone with a sense of decency would realize that if it were true that would be completely unreasonable. Now that we hear that AC did the right thing all along, the real question should be how did this "fake news" come about in the first place?

-James
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yes, based on the information at the time which was AC only provided a $10 voucher. I think anyone with a sense of decency would realize that if it were true that would be completely unreasonable. Now that we hear that AC did the right thing all along, the real question should be how did this "fake news" come about in the first place?

-James
You're the one who started the $10 voucher discussion in this thread. There was an article where a passenger sarcastically mentioned a $10 voucher.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 31, 2018 at 12:20 am Reason: snark
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Okay, let's please move on from the whole $10 meal voucher discussion.

tcook052
AC Mod.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.