Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Old Nov 7, 2008, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gglave
I don't entirely understand what you mean by "extra flights for your groups" but if you mean "put on extra airplanes." It's not as simple as it sounds.
Old article that you quote there.

About "his groups," the guy says he is a meeting planner. So, he organizes group travel. Furthermore, from his article, it seems he normally has means to give ample advance notice. So it's not like he is talking about getting an extra plane in service at the last minute, but about the sort of extra flights that can be planned for.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by gglave
I don't entirely understand what you mean by "extra flights for your groups" but if you mean "put on extra airplanes." It's not as simple as it sounds.

With some exceptions, generally airlines don't have multi-million dollar airworthy aircraft just sitting around to take up slack. If they own a plane it's flying, and if it isn't flying there's a good reason, such as a service interval. There are certainly aircraft out there available for charter, but that's a different beast altogether.
UA and AA have lots of extra planes laying around now
Old Nov 27, 2008, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here is one that raises potential issues with the quality of AC maintenance

http://avherald.com/h?article=410cbe69&opt=0

How could these guys not be aware of other people's fuel caps?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow....a close one... !!!!

Incident: Air Canada A319 and NavCanada DH8A at Ottawa on Dec 15th 2008, runway separation lost

An Air Canada Airbus A319-100, registration C-FZUG performing flight AC446 from Toronto,ON to Ottawa,ON (Canada) with 98 people on board, was on an IFR approach to runway 25 of Ottawa and cleared to land runway 25. At the same time a NavCanada de Havilland Dash 8-100 was executing a VFR low approach to runway 32 performing calibration and inspection of the ILS. The tower informed both planes about the presense of the other. After touch down during roll out the crew of the Airbus noticed, that the Dash came along crossing runway 32 at a height of 50 feet, and applied maximum braking to avoid arriving at the intersection of the two runways at the same time as the Dash.

NavCanada is investigating based on the assessment, that runway separation was not adequately ensured.

Source: Aviation Herald

319: Height 11.76 m. (38' 7")
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:07 am

Isn't this a bit like the RCMP investigating the RCMP?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://avherald.com/h?article=41288d16

The crew of an Air Canada Airbus A320-200, registration C-FDSU performing flight AC-921 from West Palm Beach,FL (USA) to Toronto Pearson,ON (Canada) with 135 passengers, experienced a loud popping sound associated with an unexpected yaw while climbing towards 10.000 feet during departure from West Palm Beach. Reporting mechanical trouble the crew decided to return to West Palm Beach to have the airplane inspected, but did not declare emergency or request the presence of emergency services. In coordination with Air Canada's dispatch it was decided in the end to divert the airplane to Fort Lauderdale,FL, where the airplane landed safely about one hour after takeoff.

Air Canada dispatched a replacement aircraft to Fort Lauderdale.

The FAA and Air Canada said, that the airplane may have hit a bird during departure.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 8:49 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by tcook052
http://avherald.com/h?article=41288d16

The crew of an Air Canada Airbus A320-200, registration C-FDSU performing flight AC-921 from West Palm Beach,FL (USA) to Toronto Pearson,ON (Canada) with 135 passengers, experienced a loud popping sound associated with an unexpected yaw while climbing towards 10.000 feet during departure from West Palm Beach. Reporting mechanical trouble the crew decided to return to West Palm Beach to have the airplane inspected, but did not declare emergency or request the presence of emergency services. In coordination with Air Canada's dispatch it was decided in the end to divert the airplane to Fort Lauderdale,FL, where the airplane landed safely about one hour after takeoff.

Air Canada dispatched a replacement aircraft to Fort Lauderdale.

The FAA and Air Canada said, that the airplane may have hit a bird during departure.

My mother was on this flight. The usual extreme lack of information/
communication from AC. It ended up being around a 9 hour delay, and
AC was generous enough to give the pax a $10 food & bev voucher

There was no info on AC.com, and calls to concierge was the only way
to figure out that a replacement aircraft was being sent to get the pax.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
My mother was on this flight. The usual extreme lack of information/
communication from AC. It ended up being around a 9 hour delay, and
AC was generous enough to give the pax a $10 food & bev voucher

There was no info on AC.com, and calls to concierge was the only way
to figure out that a replacement aircraft was being sent to get the pax.
Standard AC operation.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by airbus320
Incident: Air Canada A319 and NavCanada DH8A at Ottawa on Dec 15th 2008, runway separation lost

An Air Canada Airbus A319-100, registration C-FZUG performing flight AC446 from Toronto,ON to Ottawa,ON (Canada) with 98 people on board, was on an IFR approach to runway 25 of Ottawa and cleared to land runway 25. At the same time a NavCanada de Havilland Dash 8-100 was executing a VFR low approach to runway 32 performing calibration and inspection of the ILS. The tower informed both planes about the presense of the other. After touch down during roll out the crew of the Airbus noticed, that the Dash came along crossing runway 32 at a height of 50 feet, and applied maximum braking to avoid arriving at the intersection of the two runways at the same time as the Dash.

NavCanada is investigating based on the assessment, that runway separation was not adequately ensured.

Source: Aviation Herald

319: Height 11.76 m. (38' 7")
This report doesn't make sense (to me).
  1. There is 6000' of runway between the Rwy 25 threshold and the intersection at Rwy 32. Does an A319 really need maximum braking to stop in that distance? I thought that would be a pretty leisurely stop.
  2. With another aircraft on an approach to 32, even without intent to land, surely AC446 would not have been cleared to cross 32. Wouldn't he have been issued a LAHSO (land and hold short) clearance?
  3. Regardless of the clearance (and I'm still convinced it would've been LAHSO) wouldn't the AC446 pilot really want to plan to stop before rwy 32 just out of caution? Otherwise, what was he thinking? "I'm on a collision course with an aircraft on an intersecting runway, but I'm pretty sure he's going to pull up and go around, so I won't worry about him."
  4. Wouldn't the pilot of AC446 be trying to exit on taxiway E anyway, which is prior to the rwy 32 intersection, instead of continuing across 32 and then backtracking?
  5. The following statement: "the Dash came along crossing runway 32" makes no sense at all. If the Dash was on an approach to (and, presumably, aligned with) runway 32, how did it suddenly change its direction to "cross" rwy 32? Did they mean to say "crossing runway 25"?
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:00 pm

http://avherald.com/h?article=4129ccf8

An Air Canada Embraer ERJ-175, registration C-FEJB performing flight AC-1043 from Toronto Pearson,ON (Canada) to Dallas Ft. Worth,TX (USA) with 72 people on board, was in the initial climb out of Toronto, when a smoke detector in a lavatory went off. The crew decided to return to Toronto for a safe landing.

Maintenance suspects that the smoke detector was triggered by fumes from residual detergent following a compressor wash of both engines earlier the day.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by After Burner
This report doesn't make sense (to me). [LIST=1][*]There is 6000' of runway between the Rwy 25 threshold and the intersection at Rwy 32. Does an A319 really need maximum braking to stop in that distance? I thought that would be a pretty leisurely stop.
The pilots may have been expecting a leisurely landing. When a DH8 was about to pass near their windshield. Extra braking would have been applied.
Most AC flights land on 8000'+ of runway. 6000 is not a lot of room, even for a 319. Most touchdowns occur 1200' from the threshold. That is where the glidepath takes the airplane.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by tracon
The pilots may have been expecting a leisurely landing. When a DH8 was about to pass near their windshield. Extra braking would have been applied.
Most AC flights land on 8000'+ of runway. 6000 is not a lot of room, even for a 319. Most touchdowns occur 1200' from the threshold. That is where the glidepath takes the airplane.
Fair enough, not "leisurely." But not maximum braking either. (There's no GP on rwy 25; it's LOC(BC) MDH 287'. )

I'd be curious to hear the tower transmissions. Was he cleared with "dash 8 traffic on approach to runway 32, hold short of 32" or was it just a "no factor" type of traffic advisory? What I don't get is if the AC pilots were already aware of the DH8 then how did the need to avoid crossing the intersection come as a surprise.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:39 pm

http://avherald.com/h?article=4129cb8e

An Air Canada Embraer ERJ-190, registration C-FHNP performing flight AC-294 from Vancouver,BC to Winnipeg,MB (Canada) with 98 people on board, was climbing through 17000 feet, when the crew received a slat fail message. The crew decided to continue the flight, reported the slat failure to air traffic control and requested emergency services to stand by for the landing in Winnipeg. During approach into Winnipeg the slats did not extend, the crew landed safely with slats retracted and flaps in position 2.

Post flight examination revealed, that the slat skew sensor for the right hand slats #3 and #4 was misreading. The sensor was replaced and the airplane returned to service.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:40 am

http://www.newstalk650.com/story/20090102/10375

An auxiliary power unit is being blamed for filling the cabin of an Air Canada Jazz jet on the ground in Regina with potentially deadly carbon monoxide.

A flight attendant and pilot headed out to the 50-seat regional jet to prepare it for a morning flight from Regina to Edmonton when they noticed something amiss: fumes, and the carbon-monoxide detector going off.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 3:12 pm

Programs: AC E
What's the point here?

Why are we being updated with incidents and occurrences each time an AC plane suffers some sort of anomaly? Are these 'somewhat scary' events? Did they all take place near Winnipeg? How are they relevant?

There are other public internet sources for reported airline hazards, incidents and accidents that we could visit if so inclined. I'm not sure the need to be informed each time somebody's news story alerting system gets a positive hit on certain keywords.

Last edited by threepoint; Jan 2, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.