Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Old Jun 8, 2024, 2:20 am

Programs: AC 50K
Originally Posted by The Lev
Wasnít Maverickís accident in Top Gun a compressor stall? Guess ACís just happy the aircraft wasnít in a flat spin and no one has to eject?
Old Jun 10, 2024, 10:29 am

Flight from PUJ to YUL. Engine shut off!

Hey folks, was just returning from PUJ on AC rouge flight 1791 and we had to turn around and land (greeted by safety vehicles/fire truck etc) pilot said they had to shut off engine number 1. Does anyone know where I could find out more details about this incident?

I've attached some pics.

Old Jun 10, 2024, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Halifax718
Hey folks, was just returning from PUJ on AC rouge flight 1791 and we had to turn around and land (greeted by safety vehicles/fire truck etc) pilot said they had to shut off engine number 1. Does anyone know where I could find out more details about this incident?

I've attached some pics.
Things like this often shw up at AVHerald.com.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 7:01 am

Programs: air miles
The firefighters look like shock troopers!
allbrosca likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 4:13 pm

An engine failure aboard an Air Canada Express commuter flight from Sacramento International Airport caused the pilots Tuesday to turn around and return to the capital cityís airport.

The plane had some issues southbound the night before and was grounded by maintenance.
This happened on the attempted ferry flight northbound.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...-fjjz#35a1724b

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article289182999.html
Old Jun 12, 2024, 6:04 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by tracon
An engine failure aboard an Air Canada Express commuter flight from Sacramento International Airport caused the pilots Tuesday to turn around and return to the capital city’s airport.

The plane had some issues southbound the night before and was grounded by maintenance.
This happened on the attempted ferry flight northbound.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...-fjjz#35a1724b

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article289182999.html
From the SacBee article, regarding an engine failure on the second ferry flight :"The problem got worse".

No kidding.
Old Yesterday, 8:32 am

Anyone know what happened to AC42 this Monday (July 15)? The flight track looks like it got a little while east of Labrador, pulled a U-turn and flew back to YYZ. It ended up being a 9.5 hour flight to nowhere. I think it flew again the next day as AC2042.

What would cause a need to turn back but still let it fly an extra 4-5 hours to get to home base?
Old Yesterday, 11:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Deathray
Anyone know what happened to AC42 this Monday (July 15)? The flight track looks like it got a little while east of Labrador, pulled a U-turn and flew back to YYZ. It ended up being a 9.5 hour flight to nowhere. I think it flew again the next day as AC2042.

What would cause a need to turn back but still let it fly an extra 4-5 hours to get to home base?
I can't pull the status for Monday flights anymore, but a tweet suggests "after what an official described as an engine issue onboard the aircraft". That particular fin went to London the next day.

There are any number of issues which are between "land now" and "keep going". And could well be commercial considerations, too. There are issues that take an hour to fix, and issues that might take much longer. That the particular aircraft flew the next day could well mean it was a 6 hours fix. But even if it was a 20 minute fix, it would take 20 minutes of looking at it to know. Spare aircraft, spare partss and mechanics are in YYZ. AC is in a better place to accommodate PAX at their main hub. Past Newfoundland there is a lot of water, and not that far along lots of places to land, but not places with the AC presence of YYZ.
Old Yesterday, 12:42 pm

Programs: air miles
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I can't pull the status for Monday flights anymore, but a tweet suggests "after what an official described as an engine issue onboard the aircraft". That particular fin went to London the next day.

There are any number of issues which are between "land now" and "keep going". And could well be commercial considerations, too. There are issues that take an hour to fix, and issues that might take much longer. That the particular aircraft flew the next day could well mean it was a 6 hours fix. But even if it was a 20 minute fix, it would take 20 minutes of looking at it to know. Spare aircraft, spare partss and mechanics are in YYZ. AC is in a better place to accommodate PAX at their main hub. Past Newfoundland there is a lot of water, and not that far along lots of places to land, but not places with the AC presence of YYZ.
I'm reminded of the flight that diverted to some random airport that AC doesn't fly to, which wasn't really equipped to handle a wide body aircraft's worth of passengers.

In other words, yes, there is a calculus that is done to determine continue, divert, or return to sender.
Old Yesterday, 9:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
I'm reminded of the flight that diverted to some random airport that AC doesn't fly to, which wasn't really equipped to handle a wide body aircraft's worth of passengers.

In other words, yes, there is a calculus that is done to determine continue, divert, or return to sender.
The difference between 300 people at the Gateway in Toronto and 300 people at the Turkmenbashi Motel 8 might very well be the calibrated wrench + quarter turn that someone in YYZ is qualified to turn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.