Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:24 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by tracon
That's quite the diversion from the flight planned route.
Which was to go over Chicago, Detroit, then NYC.
https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA548

The flight held SW of DC, then diverted.

As for the passengers. I think Canada lets in more people than the Americans.
Yup... saw that. Interesting flight. Flight to EWR has now been cancelled.

My question was more of procedure than qualification. Did the 787 pull up at a domestic gate or an International gate? Looking further the AC website indicates gate 54 which is an International gate so I guess after this diversion and waiting hours before cancellation, they needed to clear Canadian Customs and Immigrations to boot. Unless they used the Mirabel buses to route them to a domestic entry point.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
If the audio is correct, both flights cleared to 5000'.
The SID AA was flying turns slightly inside of the SID AC was flying.
Turning AC further to the left cuts off the AA flight.
Unless a transmission was missed by the liveatc feed, AC had not been cleared to 12,000' though the controller thought he had cleared AC to climb to 12,000 based on the traffic advisory given AA.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 11:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I just got home from work. Absolute chaos tonight in the air. Reports of Severe turbulence everywhere. Which are actually a big deal because it creates a ton of paperwork for airlines and the aircraft have to be inspected after so they donít report it lightly. Where there wasnít severe there was pretty constant moderate. Jetstream instead of going west to east in a somewhat straight line like normal pushing aircraft along it was pointing almost straight up and down causing violent wind shear and turbulence.

Ground stop program in IAD, JFK, EWR, etc most every major airport in rhe NE. Pilots actually sounded worried at times on the radio. Chaos.

Happy to be home now. Hope anyone that was flying in the NE USA/Canada today is safe
Old Apr 9, 2024, 9:52 pm

AC997 diverts to BOI.

https://www.flightaware.com/live/fli...210Z/MMMX/KBOI

https://nationalpost.com/news/warnin...nding-in-idaho

On Tuesday, Air Canada said Flight 997 from Mexico City to Vancouver, Canada, diverted to Boise Airport as a precautionary measure after the warning light came on.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 5:56 am

AC997 diverts to BOI.

https://www.flightaware.com/live/fli...210Z/MMMX/KBOI

https://nationalpost.com/news/warnin...nding-in-idaho

On Tuesday, Air Canada said Flight 997 from Mexico City to Vancouver, Canada, diverted to Boise Airport as a precautionary measure after the warning light came on.
Wow... what a really bad article.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Article does not seem to say what the warning was about.

I would guess a fire warning?
Old Apr 10, 2024, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
Article does not seem to say what the warning was about.

I would guess a fire warning?
As usual, Simon to the rescue with clear, non-clickbaity information

https://avherald.com/h?article=5173e388&opt=0

An Air Canada Boeing 737-8 MAX, registration C-FSIP performing flight AC-997 from Mexico City (Mexico) to Vancouver,BC (Canada) with 122 passengers and 6 crew, was enroute at FL380 about 120nm southwest of Boise,ID (USA) when the crew received a cargo smoke indication and decided to divert to Boise. The aircraft landed safely on Boise's runway 10R about 40 minutes later.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PLeblond
As usual, Simon to the rescue with clear, non-clickbaity information

https://avherald.com/h?article=5173e388&opt=0

An Air Canada Boeing 737-8 MAX, registration C-FSIP performing flight AC-997 from Mexico City (Mexico) to Vancouver,BC (Canada) with 122 passengers and 6 crew, was enroute at FL380 about 120nm southwest of Boise,ID (USA) when the crew received a cargo smoke indication and decided to divert to Boise. The aircraft landed safely on Boise's runway 10R about 40 minutes later.
40 minutes later? Would there have been a real fire, they would all have been dead by then.

Was there no closer alternate?
Old Apr 10, 2024, 12:38 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Assuming that the 40 minutes is accurate, it looks like (at least in FlightAware) that BOI was closer than PDX.

And I would assume that their checklist process revealed that it was likely a sensor issue.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Assuming that the 40 minutes is accurate, it looks like (at least in FlightAware) that BOI was closer than PDX.

And I would assume that their checklist process revealed that it was likely a sensor issue.
But it if were clear that the issue was a malfunctioning sensor, there would be no need for a diversion.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If the fire sensor is malfunctioning, you probably don't want to keep flying.
billdokes, Bohemian1 and Joeyjo like this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 1:42 pm

I assume its a little like when I had to respond to the burglar alarm at 2:00am at my old job (600k sq. ft warehourse in the dark):
  • One motion sensor or one door: I would investigae myself assuming it was a false alarm.
  • Multiple zones + door: call Police and have them meet me on site before going in.
Included in the 40 minutes: Run checklists, attempt to correct issue, contact home base and decision made to divert. Simon usually indicates if mayday/Pan Pan Pan call was made and did not in this case so I assume they simply divereted as non emergency but still enough to require a diverson.

Had there been multile alarms or fire suppression system activated, likely they would have diveretd nearest possible airport, including small regional or even an interstate if needed.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If the fire sensor is malfunctioning, you probably don't want to keep flying.
Obviously. But then if there is arisk of fire, 40 minutes will be too much, kind of pointless to divert. Either they'll all be dead, or it will be clear that there was no fire after all.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Obviously. But then if there is arisk of fire, 40 minutes will be too much, kind of pointless to divert. Either they'll all be dead, or it will be clear that there was no fire after all.
There's a difference between declaring Mayday and a diversion. The world is not 1s and 0s.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The issue isn't necessarily whether there's a fire right now. It's whether they'll be able to detect a fire at any point in the rest of the flight.
wrp96 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.