Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Old Dec 16, 2023, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Lloydbraun1976
turns out AC 895 into MXP could not see ground and had to abort, went around & landed on other runway that was wide open so why make approach to rwy that was obviously less accessible?

I suppose I should count myself lucky so few times but 2023 MXP won’t be forgotten.
I don't know all the circumstances, but ElAl landed about 5 minutes you went around.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 10:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tracon
I don't know all the circumstances, but ElAl landed about 5 minutes you went around.
Interesting, I get weather conditions change all the time, so I asked friend who is long-time P-I-C on Delta who to MXP. Says they have something called CAT III which is high precision instruments for landing, so unsure why AC would need to go around.

But she also said that depends on aircraft and crew, not just ground system, so who knows whether AC ready?

Anyway, strikes me going from landing mode to take-off mode in a split-second cannot possibly be an easy maneuver and ripe for error.

The fact that for some of us long-time flyers its pretty rare tells me best it stay that way.
C-FMWQ likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 11:36 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Unless INOP, the equipment that AC flies into MXP is most capable of CAT III approaches as are the crews.

But CAT III landings require a fair degree of setup and even CAT IIIb can only get you so far in tricky weather situations. Factor in potentially different ATC procedures, and it's not as simple as pushing the (metaphorical) green autoland button.

Having been through more than one missed approach in the fog at YVR, discretion is not only the better part of valour, following SOP is too.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Unless INOP, the equipment that AC flies into MXP is most capable of CAT III approaches as are the crews.

But CAT III landings require a fair degree of setup and even CAT IIIb can only get you so far in tricky weather situations. Factor in potentially different ATC procedures, and it's not as simple as pushing the (metaphorical) green autoland button.

Having been through more than one missed approach in the fog at YVR, discretion is not only the better part of valour, following SOP is too.
From time to time have reason to fly on client's private aircraft. The owner boasts he pays the flight crew to say “no” to him, the rest he says is routine.

I suppose same for AC, crew entrusted to say “no” when conditions warrant.

and thanks for explanation- although none of this improves my comfort level going forward.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 12:24 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Lloydbraun1976
and thanks for explanation- although none of this improves my comfort level going forward.
I understand. But sometimes being informed can be an effective way to reduce stress.

If it helps, here's a video with a not too-technical and explanation of what actually goes on in a CAT III landing. It's quite amazing what modern aircraft are capable of doing.

And a discussion and plan for go-arounds is part of every pre-landing briefing, and are also a key part of periodic simulator work as well.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 11:05 am

Scary, in that Canadian Airlines is apparently back in business.

Bohemian1 and salteen like this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 11:08 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Was it the brand-new A319 in the back of that photo that had the incident, or the little Fokker in the foreground?
billdokes likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 11:15 am

Neither.

According to the report, the incident happened shortly after midnight on Oct. 15, 2022 when an Air Canada Boeing 737 was on its final approach for the runway.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 11:20 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Wow, we knew AC was short on aircraft, but how desperate are they to bring back a 50-year-old Fokker F28!
Old Dec 20, 2023, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Wow, we knew AC was short on aircraft, but how desperate are they to bring back a 50-year-old Fokker F28!
If they bring it back, can I get credit for my 1.3 mllion CPAir miles so I can be SE3M.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Wow, moth-balled in YXE for years...really!
Old Dec 20, 2023, 11:32 am

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by tracon
According to the report, the incident happened shortly after midnight on Oct. 15, 2022 when an Air Canada Boeing 737 was on its final approach for the runway.
Whoah! I actually flew into Pearson from SFO that evening.... my flight arrived right around the same time.

Here's a link to the full report. It was AC174 from Edmonton.
https://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rappor.../a22o0146.html
Old Dec 22, 2023, 9:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I swear I saw a landing gear issue reported yesterday with AC but closed all my tabs

In looking at the usual sites I saw this report came out yesterday for a YYZ-MAD diversion due to smoke in cabin. reminded me of the Dreamliner we saw in Newfoundland a few years back during Earn Your Wings

https://www.flightaware.com/live/fli...125Z/CYYZ/LEMD

https://avherald.com/h?article=512a72c5&opt=0

Last edited by expert7700; Dec 22, 2023 at 11:31 am
Old Dec 22, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by expert7700
I swear I saw a landing gear issue reported yesterday with AC but closed all my tabs

In looking at the usual sites I saw this report came out yesterday for a YYX-MXP diversion due to smoke in cabin. reminded me of the Dreamliner we saw at St John's a few years back during Earn Your Wings

https://www.flightaware.com/live/fli...125Z/CYYZ/LEMD

https://avherald.com/h?article=512a72c5&opt=0
MAD not MXP
Old Dec 22, 2023, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by expert7700
reminded me of the Dreamliner we saw at St John's a few years back during Earn Your Wings
Pretty sure it was Gander

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.