Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:06 pm

Is the plane still in Baku? FR24 doesn't show any flights after diversion
Old Oct 29, 2023, 5:04 am

Returned to YVR. Left engine failure.

https://www.flightaware.com/live/fli...455Z/CYVR/CYVR
Old Oct 29, 2023, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by airalmond
Is the plane still in Baku? FR24 doesn't show any flights after diversion
​​​​​It needs an engine change, 747F was being chartered to bring a new engine to it
airalmond likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:06 pm

Regarding the Baiku (Baku) diversion upthread, it looks like Air Canada provided their usual award winning customer service.

In all seriousness, it seems like there were a couple of limited meals on the ground, hotels made available, and some sort of limited catering on board the replacement aircraft (cake?). Doesn't seem like there was an expedited process for visas. It seems like the biggest complaint was the lack of customer service, particularly in other languages.

​​​​​​https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...rgency-landing
Old Nov 1, 2023, 8:06 pm

Programs: Westjet, Air Canada 3MM, Best Western, Marriott
Originally Posted by zappy312
Regarding the Baiku (Baku) diversion upthread, it looks like Air Canada provided their usual award winning customer service.

In all seriousness, it seems like there were a couple of limited meals on the ground, hotels made available, and some sort of limited catering on board the replacement aircraft (cake?). Doesn't seem like there was an expedited process for visas. It seems like the biggest complaint was the lack of customer service, particularly in other languages.

​​​​​​https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...rgency-landing

Where do you think the customer service could/would come from. This aircraft landed in a third world country, where AC doesnít fly. Any service possible would be at best, bad. AC canít control customs or visa issues. Iím guessing most of the diet issues were religious.. I would think in a emergency, one would over look this, if they had to eat something for health reasons. Most religions allow this. Personally, in a emergency, I would want my pilots spending all their time landed the aircraft safely, instead of making announcements, that really have no value. Generally, this National Post is just bad reporting.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 9:23 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by foothills county flier
Where do you think the customer service could/would come from. This aircraft landed in a third world country, where AC doesn’t fly.
On one hand, yes, AC doesn't fly there so the logistics would be difficult.

On the other hand, GYD is actually a really nice, modern, and frankly beautiful airport that has a lot of restaurants with full menus. There's even a McDonalds. Seems like a lot of them are open 24/7, too, unlike some airports I could name that rhyme with "Who though", "Fearsome" and "Ottawa".
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 9:49 pm

Programs: Westjet, Air Canada 3MM, Best Western, Marriott
Originally Posted by warrens

On the other hand, GYD is actually a really nice, modern, and frankly beautiful airport that has a lot of restaurants with full menus. There's even a McDonalds. Seems like a lot of them are open 24/7, too, unlike some airports I could name that rhyme with "Who though", "Fearsome" and "Ottawa".
If this is the case, why wouldnít this pax go to one of these restaurants to eat and give AC the bill for repayment. People need to be able to take some responsibility for themselves. Also, have you been to GYD? Because websites donít always tell the truth.
billdokes likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 11:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by warrens

To be completely honest, I think your post would have been more impactful without "unlike" and everything beyond that word. But I agree.

If this is the case, why wouldn’t this pax go to one of these restaurants to eat and give AC the bill for repayment. People need to be able to take some responsibility for themselves. Also, have you been to GYD? Because websites don’t always tell the truth.
Were they allowed off the plane? I find it hard to imagine a captain with a credit card couldn't arrange food delivery. In this scenario, I'd probably be willing to drop $3k on my card, as a passenger (who can't even remotely attempt to claim it as a business expense) if it meant feeding everyone. But I don't find it hard to imagine that a random passenger without a visa, and with a checked bag, wouldn't be allowed off a plane in a country where the airline has zero service.

I can think of a bunch of amazing countries that I'd love to visit, but wouldn't be able to randomly show up in. And I hold two of the most powerful passports in the world.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 7:57 am

Seems they have an "urgent visa" available online "in from 3 to 24 hours". And Koodo roaming, for one, works.

No idea if you could apply after arriving in the country.

I wonder if anyone gave it a shot.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 8:32 am

Programs: air miles
Not a single person in Baku was able to communicate even with difficulty in English or any other common language? An international airport lacking staff who speak international languages? Despite the airport having flight service to a number of large global centres??? Google translate was unavailable?

I agree, at some point you'd just have to take care of yourself then take up the cost/reimbursement with AC/legal action
Old Nov 2, 2023, 8:42 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
. Iím guessing most of the diet issues were religious.. I would think in a emergency, one would over look this, if they had to eat something for health reasons. Most religions allow this..
During me vegetarian days, I wouldnít have wanted to eat a bunch of red meat and then get on a long haul rescue flight because you can get some pretty intense digestive upset for a week or so until your body gets used to processing that kind of protein again.

Iíll still generally travel with a stash of substantial snacks because I was flying through the tail end of the covid days when food on planes and in airports was more miss than hit and the Clif bars in my backpack were often the best option to be able to push forward a bit but thatís for a couple hours until Ďreal foodí can be procured and not a true meal substitute.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Air Canada A330 was struck in mud at CDG yesterday

Oh my goodness!!

canít you believe that???

they struck in a mud at CDG yesterday.

I saw the post on Facebook from my friend who work for AC.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 9:59 pm

A chorus of "boue" rang out from the passengers on board.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 10:29 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by The Ivory Actuary
A chorus of "boue" rang out from the passengers on board.
Well done!

Old Nov 6, 2023, 7:50 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by N830MH
Oh my goodness!!

canít you believe that???

they struck in a mud at CDG yesterday.

I saw the post on Facebook from my friend who work for AC.
Reminds me of
:-)

Xyzzy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.