Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Jagboi
That was partly why I wondered why they stopped in a third country that some passengers may not have had visa's/permission to enter etc, rather than continuing when they know the passengers all have clearance to travel to Australia. I can't imagine it's any easier for the family to repatriate the body from the USA vs Australia.
Australian customs laws are crazy strict. Declaring "just a chocolate bar" puts them on high alert-half the border control force rushes up to inspect the ingredients list for any milk/nuts/seeds.

I'd imagine an airline declaring a body would be 1000x worse.

Edit: they could also have diverted due to crew feeling unwell / unable to serve their safety duties for the rest of the long flight.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by expert7700
Australian customs laws are crazy strict. Declaring "just a chocolate bar" puts them on high alert-half the border control force rushes up to inspect the ingredients list for any milk/nuts/seeds.

I'd imagine an airline declaring a body would be 1000x worse.

Edit: they could also have diverted due to crew feeling unwell / unable to serve their safety duties for the rest of the long flight.
I didn't read the article, but I am assuming the deceased person is not an Australian citizen? If that person is Australian then it makes sense to carry the body to Australia. Otherwise I would imagine transporting the body back to Canada would be very expensive at least, and I am not sure what kind of legal work is required.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by N830MH
Very sad news about male passenger who died during mid flight from YVR-BNE.
He was only 38. Really sad.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/passenger-decl...lulu-1.4765356
N830MH likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by songsc
I didn't read the article, but I am assuming the deceased person is not an Australian citizen? If that person is Australian then it makes sense to carry the body to Australia. Otherwise I would imagine transporting the body back to Canada would be very expensive at least, and I am not sure what kind of legal work is required.
Agree. Repatriations of remains from Australia likely to be much higher than from U.S. and that could've been a factor in the diversion decision.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
I wonder if they put the UM up with a pair of stranger grandparents?
The links state Visitor Aloha Society of Hawaii hired a nurse to look after the UM.

Why would they need to divert if the passenger is already dead? There doesn't seem to be any advantage to offloading the body in HNL, vs carrying on to BNE.
I'm no medical expert, but aren't there parameters with declaring someone dead?
I suspect this can be done with the help of medlink.
Had the flight already turned towards Hawaii while the passenger was still being resuscitated?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by tracon
The links state Visitor Aloha Society of Hawaii hired a nurse to look after the UM.

I'm no medical expert, but aren't there parameters with declaring someone dead?
I suspect this can be done with the help of medlink.
Had the flight already turned towards Hawaii while the passenger was still being resuscitated?
Legally speaking I doubt anyone on board can declare the person “died”. Flight crews may not have the authority. If there are doctors on board, they can’t either. Canadian doctors can’t practice outside of Canada. Even if the flight is still in Canada, I doubt they would be willing to do the paperwork. It’s usually the local police declares someone died and issues documentations.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052
Agree. Repatriations of remains from Australia likely to be much higher than from U.S. and that could've been a factor in the diversion decision.
There is a good chance that he was Australian though.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
There is a good chance that he was Australian though.
So it seems

"An Australian man travelling with his wife and five children on an Air Canada flight to Brisbane has died during the journey."

https://10daily.com.au/news/world/a2...sbane-20200113
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
Why would they need to divert if the passenger is already dead? There doesn't seem to be any advantage to offloading the body in HNL, vs carrying on to BNE.
I don't know what the SOP is, but a passenger died on my flight from YYZ-HND once. I was seated in the front J cabin and the only thing I noticed was that they called for a doctor and an FA ran by with a medical kit. We were somewhere around Alaska at the time if I recall. I only knew what happened after landing when the captain came on and.asked everyone to remain seated because someone had passed and the Japanese authorities were coming on board. They did not remove the individual at that time. My FA friend told me they usually try to move people away from the deceased during but the flight was J0 Y0 (this was before PY). Difficult situation for a lot of passengers I'm sure.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by 24left
Yes, he did. He was too young to died. He will be missed.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:24 pm
Suspended

AC 739 is not having a good day.

DOAC739/14JAN
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * AC 739 -1 TU 14JAN20
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

YYZ ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 2315
DELAY NON-SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE
AIRCRAFT FORCED TO RETURN
AIRCRAFT LANDED YYZ 2209
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* AC 739 -1 TU 14JAN20
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
YYZ 1905 TU JCDZPR/M Y/F 333 5:48

Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by 24left
So it seems

"An Australian man travelling with his wife and five children on an Air Canada flight to Brisbane has died during the journey."

https://10daily.com.au/news/world/a2...sbane-20200113
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...er-to-brisbane

A man who died in front of his family on an Air Canada flight from Vancouver to Brisbane, Australia, on Saturday boarded the plane sick, according to a media report.

Tanya Woodgate told Daily Mail Australia that her husband (38-year-old Christopher Woodgate) had a non-contagious form of meningitis that led to his death on board Air Canada flight AC035.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...er-to-brisbane

A man who died in front of his family on an Air Canada flight from Vancouver to Brisbane, Australia, on Saturday boarded the plane sick, according to a media report.

Tanya Woodgate told Daily Mail Australia that her husband (38-year-old Christopher Woodgate) had a non-contagious form of meningitis that led to his death on board Air Canada flight AC035.
That raises more questions than it answers though.

Article claims the form of meningitis he suffered from was treatable with antibiotics, but was not contagious, When seems like a contradiction: treatable with antibiotics implies it was bacterial, i.e. normally the most contagious form of meningitis. And the most dangerous.

Then there is the question, how did they know? This was a potentially dangerous situation and they should never have taken the flght but sought treatment in Canada before flying home.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:48 am
Suspended

Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Two comments: the meningitis condition was widely known before flight and the man was cleared by all parties to board. And a diversion due to wind at destination is not an incident; it's a planned part of every flight.
jaysona likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.