Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS

Toms phrasing implies pure airport fault, but its a casual tweet.

Halifax is now cleaning up from the prototypical NS storm, 10cm of snow turning to freezing rain, then am hour of rain, then (now) -3c. HIAA would be about 5c colder than here on the peninsula, but the same cycle. HIAA ops would have had about an hour window to clear of snow and water before it froze solid.
Yhztraveller likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
"Tom Podolec Aviation‏ [MENTION=17545]TomP[/MENTION]odolec 48 minutes ago

Update Halifax Airport all runways closed; likely for another hour. Heavy ice conditions. Flights diverting being told to avoid Fredericton as hotel availability now limited due to other diversions. Air Canada #AC614 still stuck after sliding off the runway. Waiting for a tow."

Other diversions????

EDIT TO ADD: So, Fin 638 C-FTCA B763 is not going anywhere tonight so AC 621 is cancelled, so.......

Last edited by 24left; Mar 4, 2019 at 6:16 pm
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by 24left
"Tom Podolec Aviation‏ [MENTION=17545]TomP[/MENTION]odolec 48 minutes ago

Update Halifax Airport all runways closed; likely for another hour. Heavy ice conditions. Flights diverting being told to avoid Fredericton as hotel availability now limited due to other diversions. Air Canada #AC614 still stuck after sliding off the runway. Waiting for a tow."

Other diversions?
The crew of KE288 lobster express would consume all available hotel rooms of either Moncton or F'town
Yhztraveller and smallmj like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:22 pm
Suspended

In related diversion non-lobster news

Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Post Passenger delays YVR-YYZ flight due to fish not being available as meal choice

Just saw this in the news.

Perhaps this was a paid J non-status passenger who got asked his meal choice last?

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/fishgate-passe...elay-1.4320500

Anyone here on this fight?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, DL Plat, AF Plat, PD something, Bonvoy Life Plat
Not me. But sounds like someone really wanted their Hawksworth... exacerbated by predeparture wine..
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by daniellam
Just saw this in the news.

Perhaps this was a paid J non-status passenger who got asked his meal choice last?

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/fishgate-passe...elay-1.4320500

Anyone here on this fight?

Yup, already being discussed here

Originally Posted by newfbc

Fishgate: Passenger threw 'hissy fit' over fish dinner, causing flight delay

An unruly passenger caused turbulence on a flight from Vancouver because he didn't get the meal option he wanted, according to other travellers.

I hope this wasn't one of you....

Ron.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Hmm, this was almost me on this exact flight last Friday lol. I don't understand why they can't allow pre-orders or seem to be able to use data to get the mix right.

If they can't figure out the IT/data, why not enough to give everyone in J their choice and then let PY deal with whatever is left, instead of giving PY less choices anyways.

They also ran out of newspapers and had no amenity kits.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:13 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Pre-orders?

What a radical concept.

The logistics would be mind boggling.
24left, DNAwizard and jc94 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Incompetent flight attendant

If this passenger has a food allergy, why couldn't the flight attendant in the interest of making sure the flight departs on time simply ask multiple passengers who ordered the fish meal to see if they also have a second choice? Some passengers who fly the route frequently enough would probably have tried all three options and may be rather indifferent as to what they get. It is likely one of the passengers might be willing to give up their fish to this passenger.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
If this passenger has a food allergy, why couldn't the flight attendant in the interest of making sure the flight departs on time simply ask multiple passengers who ordered the fish meal to see if they also have a second choice? Some passengers who fly the route frequently enough would probably have tried all three options and may be rather indifferent as to what they get. It is likely one of the passengers might be willing to give up their fish to this passenger.
That's how I am. I either tell them option #1 and #2 or just ask them to surprise me .
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:14 pm

If this passenger has a food allergy, why didn't he order the special meal corresponding to his food allergy, rather than hope he gets his first choice?

Also, I feel like there is an invention waiting to be made that is essentially an emergency vehicle that can mate with the plane. Think along the lines of a catering truck with police officers that goes out to meet the plane when there is this sort of incident.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
If this passenger has a food allergy, why didn't he order the special meal corresponding to his food allergy, rather than hope he gets his first choice?
The diabetic meal is typically the worst possible thing you could feed a diabetic.

I can't speak for other SPMLs.

As SE, I know I'll get something that works for me, but not everything on the regular menu is great (i.e. a high-carb pasta would not cut it).

But my thoughts are that if you can't eat 1 of the 4 options, just risk it. If you can't eat 3 of the 4, come prepared (SPML or your own food).
YOWCDNFF and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:52 am

Adults having tantrums. Is there anything more pathetic?
nancypants and 5mm like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
From the CTV story (boldface mine): The flight was supposed to take off from YVR at 2 p.m. but was already more than an hour behind schedule when #fishgate happened.

Uh huh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.