Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Do I need to carry a passport if I have Nexus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I need to carry a passport if I have Nexus

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I would think the airline would be your biggest problem - ie. at US airport trying to come home. Customs here should be pretty simple, not so sure US Customs would be as accommodating.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:37 pm

dunno why, but every time i cross the border by car via NEXUS - they still ask to see my passport.....

also when i did YYZ-YVR-SEA, the NEXUS kiosks were not present on the US Customs @ YVR......

So passport does come handy
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
They are certainly there but not from the transfer side. They also of course have global entry which I used last week and liked that system as you need not fill out the declaration form in advance but do it on the screen.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I always bring my passport because I rarely cross by land and I always use the GE kiosks when available.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
They are certainly there but not from the transfer side. They also of course have global entry which I used last week and liked that system as you need not fill out the declaration form in advance but do it on the screen.
prob the day i was there it was down, they even ran out of ink on my stamp
Old May 18, 2015, 9:17 am

Here's the rule of thumb using Nexus:
1. When doing land border crossings, Nexus is all you need. And I've done about 100+ land crossings and never carried my passport. Make sure you passport is valid (not expired) and linked to your Nexus, or you will be in trouble. If your passport expires, do not attempt to use Nexus until after you get your replacement and go online to link the new passport number to your Nexus account.
2. When flying, Nexus is all you need for customs... however, you will likely have problems with various airlines that still expect to see your passport. Obviously if you are flying outside of Canada/USA, you have to bring your passport.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Kris Morness
2. When flying, Nexus is all you need for customs... however, you will likely have problems with various airlines that still expect to see your passport. Obviously if you are flying outside of Canada/USA, you have to bring your passport.
You always have to carry your passport as per NEXUS program rules. Also how do you use global entry with just your NEXUS card? You need your passport for the machine.
Welcome to FT
Old May 18, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Quote:

You always have to carry your passport as per NEXUS program rules. Also how do you use global entry with just your NEXUS card? They scan your passport now.

Welcome to FT
GE machines read nexus card or passport. I always use my nexus card but do travel with my passport. Technically I don't believe you require a passport when entering the U.S. but you do need one for Canada if arriving by plane.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
The rules of Nexus clearly state that you must carry your passport when using the card.
Flaunt them at your pleasure.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
GE machines read nexus card or passport.
Good to know. Thanks. I didn't know that! Was the first incarnation when they switched from the red NEXUS machines to the GE ones at YYZ the ones where they only read passports or did they read NEXUS cards from day one?
Old May 18, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
The rules of Nexus clearly state that you must carry your passport when using the card.
Flaunt them at your pleasure.
You actually don't need a passport anymore to apply for Nexus if you're a US or Canadian citizen. So it would make sense that a passport is not required to be carried if you're a US or Canadian citizen. If you're a PR or on a visa, then yes you will need your passport with you.

I also checked the Nexus website and despite seeing that requirement in the past, I see no mention of it now.
Old May 18, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
GE machines read nexus card or passport. I always use my nexus card but do travel with my passport. Technically I don't believe you require a passport when entering the U.S. but you do need one for Canada if arriving by plane.
I really thought that GE machines at US pre-clearance sites need a passport, interesting!
Old May 18, 2015, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by guessaaa
You actually don't need a passport anymore to apply for Nexus if you're a US or Canadian citizen. So it would make sense that a passport is not required to be carried if you're a US or Canadian citizen. If you're a PR or on a visa, then yes you will need your passport with you.

I also checked the Nexus website and despite seeing that requirement in the past, I see no mention of it now.
I lost my NEXUS card recently and was advised I must bring my passport when I inquired over the phone. I didn't know you don't need a passport anymore for applying; however, I have traveled enough times with just my NEXUS card in the US. Be prepared for grief if you don't bring your passport
Old May 18, 2015, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Here's the rule of thumb using Nexus:
1. When doing land border crossings, Nexus is all you need. And I've done about 100+ land crossings and never carried my passport. Make sure you passport is valid (not expired) and linked to your Nexus, or you will be in trouble. If your passport expires, do not attempt to use Nexus until after you get your replacement and go online to link the new passport number to your Nexus account.
If you have any special circumstances, like a visa, you absolutely need your passport for land border crossings.

I was told when I applied that I needed to carry my passport for air travel. And given the number of times I've been asked for my passport when using NEXUS (a number greater than 0), it's just not worth the risk.

I've also been told very explicitly by several CPB officers to not use my NEXUS card in the GE machine. They can tell by the receipt printout, and they don't like it.
Old May 18, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've also been told very explicitly by several CPB officers to not use my NEXUS card in the GE machine. They can tell by the receipt printout, and they don't like it.
That's interesting, I have been doing this for a while now and it was never mentioned to me (most of my crossings are at YYZ). On the other hand, there are machines that will read your NEXUS card and reject it as an invalid document (in YOW for instance) forcing you to use your passport.

Once in a while, CBP will ask to see my passport to check if my work visa is still valid. They explained to me that the machine is unable to check that for some reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.