Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC web site has crashed!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2008, 3:30 pm

SAN crashed

According to a reliable source, AC's storage area network crashed, and they're working on restoring the backup....
Old Apr 26, 2008, 3:44 pm
ALW

Banks would cope with that.
Wasn't TD down completely (EasyWeb, Visa, everything) for an extended period in the last couple of years? Not necessarily almost 48 hours but a long time for a bank.

=aw
Old Apr 26, 2008, 3:48 pm
Cam

Programs: ACMM, Hilton Diamond, IEEE, PTC, CPS, CSBC, USBI
So what's the upshot of all this? Effective immediately, all those registered as E or SE this year will be automatically upgraded to SE in 2009 just to appease all the FF'ers. ^
Old Apr 26, 2008, 4:06 pm
ALW

Call the main AC reservation number and press 2 for existing reservations. I did it this morning and was able to upgrade for a flight tomorrow.
Just tried it and it worked fine. Thanks.

OLCI wasn't working 5min ago, now it is (used Aeroplan number).

=aw
Old Apr 26, 2008, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ALW
Wasn't TD down completely (EasyWeb, Visa, everything) for an extended period in the last couple of years? Not necessarily almost 48 hours but a long time for a bank.

=aw
Not that I recall, and I bank with them.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:00 pm

Programs: AC50K, HH Dia.
19:00 and still down, so I will book with another airline.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:15 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
This is a good lesson for anyone who is responsible for electronic data.

You don't want a backup plan - you want a recovery plan.

Heads ought to roll for this.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100, Bonvoy Platinum Elite
What a joke - this is the saddest I.T failure I can ever recall of an airline, especially in the 'modern' day (self-serve customer portals). I mean, I seriously hope they fire the CIO, the VP's in I.T and everyone of the useless architects that created this stupid infrastructure that has 0 fail-safe's and proven backup procedures. This is I.T 101 stuff people - even the lowliest junior I.T person can spot these things.

I have made 2 bookings in the last 24 hrs on United due to this, to bad A.C - my next switch will be to United points instead of Aeroplan.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:20 pm

Insider transactions filed on Apr. 24, 2008
Source: SEDI

ACE Aviation Holdings Inc. sold 20.4 million shares of Aeroplan Income Fund at $17.50 each on Apr. 21, 2008. ACE still has 19,892,088 Aeroplan shares after this transaction.

The plot thickens...
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:28 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by Flews
Insider transactions filed on Apr. 24, 2008
Source: SEDI

ACE Aviation Holdings Inc. sold 20.4 million shares of Aeroplan Income Fund at $17.50 each on Apr. 21, 2008. ACE still has 19,892,088 Aeroplan shares after this transaction.

The plot thickens...
Next time you shave you may wish to borrow Hanlon's Razor.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by zorn
Next time you shave you may wish to borrow Hanlon's Razor.
lol - I ALWAYS shave with Hanlon's Razor.

Cheers,
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:46 pm

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by Flews
lol - I ALWAYS shave with Hanlon's Razor.

Cheers,
Or is it Occam's Razor......?

AP's IT incompetence is the problem, plain and simple. I can only hope that after the dust settles an improved web interface is the result. Come on AP!!
Old Apr 26, 2008, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by gurka
I have made 2 bookings in the last 24 hrs on United due to this, to bad A.C - my next switch will be to United points instead of Aeroplan.
I'm not sure I get why you would book on United unless you were planning to do so in the first place. - you can still book online at AC.com as a "guest".
Old Apr 26, 2008, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gurka
What a joke - this is the saddest I.T failure I can ever recall of an airline, especially in the 'modern' day (self-serve customer portals). I mean, I seriously hope they fire the CIO, the VP's in I.T and everyone of the useless architects that created this stupid infrastructure that has 0 fail-safe's and proven backup procedures. This is I.T 101 stuff people - even the lowliest junior I.T person can spot these things.
Quite. But they are clueless apparently. I don't think they have real IT people, at least at a level of responsibility that's high enough given the importance to their business. Their "IT people" are in reality marketing people. Whose knowledge about computers came from their "experience" as users of personal computers. With low level of expectation.

I have long argued on FT that in a well-managed, competently run business, these people would have been fired long ago. Or at least, moved back to a harmless position.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 7:26 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
And I think we can all be fairly sure that the CIO will once again emerge unscathed when this is all over.

Simon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.