Wiki Posts
Search

AC web site has crashed!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:02 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly-yul
Why would the AE site have the details of my flight pass? I bought the pass from AC not AE. These are seperate companies no? What does one have to do with the other?ble for both AC and AE IT should be fired today. And the clowns at IBM suck too.
Most likely, because AC's main Res system, which is powered by the 1960s technology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainframe_computer), could not handle the flight pass functionality. That's also the reason why AC requires anyone wishing to purchase a flight pass to be an AE member.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:43 am
ALW

Are the agents able to handle the Latitude Pass upgrades as part of the "if you're travelling in 12 hours, call Reservations to book using your Flight Pass"? And if so, AE or AC?

Thanks!
=aw
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:47 am

Programs: AP, WP, AS
Originally Posted by airbus320
Aeroplan is not out of business.....the call centers are operational albeit very busy.

In fact, I just dealt with a call center and the service was good
I just called them and they said they were not able to make reward bookings since yesterday?
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada 35K
Originally Posted by ALW
Are the agents able to handle the Latitude Pass upgrades as part of the "if you're travelling in 12 hours, call Reservations to book using your Flight Pass"? And if so, AE or AC?

Thanks!
=aw
Call the main AC reservation number and press 2 for existing reservations. I did it this morning and was able to upgrade for a flight tomorrow.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why do I have that nasty feeling that lots of people will have problems with the balance not being right after they finish rebuilding their accounting?
Old Apr 26, 2008, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Based on the notice on Air Canada's site, their database is not completely toast... or why would they be asking for you to have your Aeroplan Number handy?

Travel Advisory

* NOTICE: aircanada.com member sign in is temporarily unavailable. Customers may continue to make regular bookings on aircanada.com by continuing as a guest on the Review Flight Details page.
If you are an Air Canada Flight Pass holder looking to make a credit booking please try again later or for travel within the next 12 hours, you may contact Air Canada Reservations for assistance. Kindly have your Aeroplan number or Flight Pass Reference number available.
I think the idea that all the info in their database is going to be incorrect and sending emails out to everyone in your contact list to verify it after it comes back online is over-reacting a little bit, don't you think?
Old Apr 26, 2008, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Golden Toque
Based on the notice on Air Canada's site, their database is not completely toast... or why would they be asking for you to have your Aeroplan Number handy?
I would say to add the flight in after the database gets rebuilt.

I think the idea that all the info in their database is going to be incorrect and sending emails out to everyone in your contact list to verify it after it comes back online is over-reacting a little bit, don't you think?
Not saying they'll send e-mails to everyone. The thing getting so bad that they can't avoid that would be beyond conprehension.

However, given how backward they are, I suspect it's taking so long to get back up because they had to rebuild their data base from something such as tape backups that may be a couple of weeks old. Plus trying to redo all the updates that occurred in the meantime, probably manually.

Or something like that. Which will entail quite a few errors I would think.

Anyway, no matter how you look at this meltdown, it's a major catastrophe. If I were a customer, I would ask them pointed questions. Especially given that their major customers such as banks and credit cards are outfits who understand how you run this sort of things.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Stranger
Anyway, no matter how you look at this meltdown, it's a major catastrophe.
... just like an upgrade not clearing.

Although it could turn out that way, for now I think you may be a little premature in your assessment (or melodramatic).
Old Apr 26, 2008, 1:15 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K
Originally Posted by The Lev
Although it could turn out that way, for now I think you may be a little premature in your assessment (or melodramatic).
In my opinion, having your main web portal down for what 36+ hrs now, for a business which has been trying to get people to solely use that portal, is a complete disaster. I don't think that is melodramatic.

If Google or ebay or iTunes were completely down for 36 hours someone would be fired.

As a secondary comment - I think AER.un should have published a press release on the outage as this could be construed as a material event.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still possible.

It's just that 36 hours off the air comes across to me as something major.

Normally if you have a reasonable system, you would expect that it would not take more than a couple of hours to be back in business. What could take longer than that? (I can't imagine they need to replace hardware in order to be back up. They are bad, but supposedly not *that bad?*)

So my guess is, it's taking a long time because they have to update manually from a somewhat old backup. And they may not have too many people who are able to do that?
Old Apr 26, 2008, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Which is what I'm hearing from some inside contacts, though at their request can't go into details.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Still possible.

Agree that something major has happened within IT. That department should see this as a major catastrophe.

Normally if you have a reasonable system, you would expect that it would not take more than a couple of hours to be back in business. What could take longer than that? (I can't imagine they need to replace hardware in order to be back up. They are bad, but supposedly not *that bad?*)
Fire in the server room - now that could be a major catastrophe.

So my guess is, it's taking a long time because they have to update manually from a somewhat old backup. And they may not have too many people who are able to do that?
Hopefully they back up their data daily. If they have to re-load everything from tapes, it could take a while given the amount of data they have.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC SE
Agree that something major has happened within IT. That department should see this as a major catastrophe.

Hopefully they back up their data daily. If they have to re-load everything from tapes, it could take a while given the amount of data they have.
A company of this size should have a real-time back up system and secondary data center location ready to go. Unless there were fires at each location there is no reason they are still in the toilet.

I think they will be giving out a couple of cardboard boxes for packing up personal effects on Monday.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Banks would cope with that. So should they, but I would bet they could not.

Hopefully. But I would not hold my breath... I would not be surprised if their backup were say weekly.

Maybe they found their tapes are useless and they are trying to find out what to do next?
Old Apr 26, 2008, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyway, I just checked, my last e-mail statement was April 11, and I just have one credit, from Amex, later than that. Looks like I started keeping a spreadsheet just at the right time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.