Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Struggling to get from Seattle to Golden (Banff)

Old Apr 8, 08, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond

Myself and Mrs Globalste are flying to Seattle to burn our SAS points and managed to get 2x business class return in October.

We fly into Seattle on the 1st October and are stopping there until the 3rd when we travel to Golden, we will be staying there until the 10th and then return to Seattle for our 18:50 flight back to Copenhagen.

When we booked these SAS flights back in October, Im certain flights to Vancouver and Calgary were around $200. But now they seem to be closer to $400!

Am i booking at the wrong time or something? I am using ITA software to find flights and the best I can find so far is Seattle-Calgary and drive, or Seattle-Kelowna and drive, both with Air Alaska.

Any help would be much appreciated. I posted this on the Air Alaska board originally so apologies for double post.
Old Apr 8, 08, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Wait. AC sells the cheap tickets for travel only a few weeks or months ahead. Right now, cheap travel within Canada is only until 25 June (they don't sell travel cheap during the holidays which in this case is Canada Day - not sure if you'll be affected by a Canadian thanksgiving embargo (1st Monday of October)). You might want to sign up for the AC newsletter which announces fare sales usually for a few days midweek and then buy as soon as your dates are covered.
Old Apr 8, 08, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by globalste View Post
Myself and Mrs Globalste are flying to Seattle to burn our SAS points and managed to get 2x business class return in October.

We fly into Seattle on the 1st October and are stopping there until the 3rd when we travel to Golden, we will be staying there until the 10th and then return to Seattle for our 18:50 flight back to Copenhagen.

When we booked these SAS flights back in October, Im certain flights to Vancouver and Calgary were around $200. But now they seem to be closer to $400!

Am i booking at the wrong time or something? I am using ITA software to find flights and the best I can find so far is Seattle-Calgary and drive, or Seattle-Kelowna and drive, both with Air Alaska.

Any help would be much appreciated. I posted this on the Air Alaska board originally so apologies for double post.
Must have been a fantastic sale to get a fare closer to $200, because with all the fees and taxes on a transborder route, that would imply a fare of like $60 each way.

I just checked your dates on AC and the lowest RT, all taxes in, works out to around $321 for SEA-YLW and a few dollars more for Seattle-Kamloops. Indeed, you might get lucky and get a seat sale, but it's not likely to bring the price much below $290, and a sale might not materialize. Caveat emptor.
Old Apr 8, 08, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Can you not add on segments on your SK booking? Use SEA as a stop, then continue to YYC with the return from YYC to CPH (or YVR if you go that route?)
Old Apr 8, 08, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I was looking for flights from SEA or PDX to YYC last week and didn't find anything reasonable for less than $400 either.
Old Apr 8, 08, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC E
The nice thing is you have lots of options. Adding onto your existing booking, as mentioned, may be your best bet. From SEA, you can fly Horizon to YLW or YYC, or you could fly AC Jazz to YLW, YYC or YKA. Driving from Kelowna or Kamloops to Golden takes you about 4-4.5 hours. Driving to Golden from YYC is about 2.5-3 hours. Either way , the scenery is great.

I'd suggest flying SEA-YYC for $404 CAD apiece on Horizon or $368 on Jazz (via YVR on the return flight). Driving & airport connection times are entirely possible.
Old Apr 8, 08, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
FWIW, SEA-YLW could be had OW for $110 a/i a few weeks ago. These fares go up and down so you really do have to keep an eye on them.
Old Apr 8, 08, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Why don't you rent a car and drive?

The scenery is stunning and you can do it in less than 10 hours each way. That way you have a car in Golden and can tour the area.

Cost all in would likely be $400-500 including car rental and gas.
Old Apr 8, 08, 8:37 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

I second The Lev's recommendation. I drive the route from YYC - YVR several times a year when I don't take the plane.

Sanosuke!
Old Apr 8, 08, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Sanosuke View Post
I second The Lev's recommendation. I drive the route from YYC - YVR several times a year when I don't take the plane.

Sanosuke!
Yep, the run from Revelstoke to Golden is quite something.

I would note that the OP bracketed Banff. Golden and Banff are a fair bit apart. I assume his destination is Golden - that's too specific to be there by accident. But if the OP is really heading for Banff, then the drive from SEA or YVR is a bit longer.
Old Apr 8, 08, 10:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold/SPG Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Yep, the run from Revelstoke to Golden is quite something.

I would note that the OP bracketed Banff. Golden and Banff are a fair bit apart. I assume his destination is Golden - that's too specific to be there by accident. But if the OP is really heading for Banff, then the drive from SEA or YVR is a bit longer.
I totally agree with the car rental and driving to Golden. Plus if Banff is the the destination then they can come up from the south through Cranbrook to Radium Springs and take the Kootenay route which is much more relaxing to drive since you aren't dealing with much tractor trailer traffic.
Old Apr 9, 08, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
apologies, i wrote Banff National Park incase people didnt know which "Golden" i meant (Googlemap comes up with about 20 of them).

Golden is the place we are headed to.

Unfortunately cant add routings to the booking as SAS doesnt recognise the route to Calgary et al - although i admit i havent actually called up SAS to see if it can be done, ive only looked on the internet.

Many thanks for all the ideas noted down so far though!
Old Apr 9, 08, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by globalste View Post
Unfortunately cant add routings to the booking as SAS doesnt recognise the route to Calgary et al - although i admit i havent actually called up SAS to see if it can be done, ive only looked on the internet.
If you are really intent on flying, then do call SAS - if their on-line booking engine is anything like aeroplan's, the "live" agents have access to far more seats/locations than are ever posted on the internet. This is particularly true for flights on Star Alliance partners.

Just keep in mind that if you include the time to drive to the airport, check-in, flight itself, clearing customs, picking up bags, car rental and drive to Golden from Calgary, you will do well if you manage it in 6-7 hours, so it really is not that much faster than driving.