Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 Thrshold Bonus Gift Changes?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2008, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
2008 Thrshold Bonus Gift Changes?

I am in position to hit 200k or 250k Q miles for the first time this year. While browsing the Threshold Bonus Gift selection on Aeroplan, I noticed that some new gifts have been added and AC has yanked the ML Lounge, E status and SE status "gifts to a friend". I know those were present 2-3 weeks ago, so this would appear to be a recent change.

Does AC typically modify the gift selection throughout the benefit year? Also... does anyone care if E and SE gifting is no longer available? I thought the E gift was a pretty decent benefit at 200k relative to the other offerings.

SG
Old Apr 5, 2008, 10:46 am

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
They're different every year, and generally the value has gone down each year, as you might expect.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:06 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by Snow Goose
I am in position to hit 200k or 250k Q miles for the first time this year. While browsing the Threshold Bonus Gift selection on Aeroplan, I noticed that some new gifts have been added and AC has yanked the ML Lounge, E status and SE status "gifts to a friend". I know those were present 2-3 weeks ago, so this would appear to be a recent change.

Does AC typically modify the gift selection throughout the benefit year? Also... does anyone care if E and SE gifting is no longer available? I thought the E gift was a pretty decent benefit at 200k relative to the other offerings.

SG
I always thought that Elite status was a good gift, however if one does not already have status, gifting one status means they will likely only get to use it once or twice, so there is not likely to be too much benefit there.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 1:22 pm

Programs: AC SE
I was looking at this a couple of weeks ago. It seems to me that many of the items have been removed. But I remember that some where limited items.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by pmax
They're different every year, and generally the value has gone down each year, as you might expect.

The J class flight pass available at 300k threshold is valued at about 7k (equivalent to the Amex Aeroplan Platinum J pass), which is a pretty nice gift - not that I am likely to hit 300k in any event. However, the previously offered gift of being able to grant SE status to a friend who might be sitting on a huge stash of Aeroplan points earned from credit card purchases is also a pretty big deal. But perhaps that is precisely why they yanked it.

SG
Old Apr 5, 2008, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Snow Goose
The J class flight pass available at 300k threshold is valued at about 7k (equivalent to the Amex Aeroplan Platinum J pass), which is a pretty nice gift - not that I am likely to hit 300k in any event. However, the previously offered gift of being able to grant SE status to a friend who might be sitting on a huge stash of Aeroplan points earned from credit card purchases is also a pretty big deal. But perhaps that is precisely why they yanked it.

SG
Agreed, but the 300k ones are always work a fair bit. Overall they seem to drop in value though. Also offering flights is a cheap out for AC.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 12:20 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I noticed at 300K they have a SuperElite Pass in J. Interesting that they only have 2 of them on a first come first serve basis though. On the other hand, hitting 300K on one airline is probably challenging so maybe they don't really need to offer more than 2.

-----

Super Elite Pass – Executive Class (Limited inventory)
The Air Canada Super Elite Pass—designed specially for Air Canada Super Elite members.

Limit of two gifts available on a first-come, first-served basis.

This exclusive Flight Pass is valid for travel anywhere in North America* in Executive Class® and can be shared with a designated travel companion†!

The Super Elite Pass – Executive Class is a prepaid package of 8 one-way flight credits based on the Executive Class fare option (J booking class) and offers:

Complimentary advance seat selection
Complimentary changes at anytime
Up to 150% Air Canada Status Miles for distance flown
* Excluding Hawaii, Mexico and Alaska.
† Valid for the Super Elite member and one designated travel companion.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by RCyyz
I noticed at 300K they have a SuperElite Pass in J. Interesting that they only have 2 of them on a first come first serve basis though. On the other hand, hitting 300K on one airline is probably challenging so maybe they don't really need to offer more than 2.
Last year I was just a shade under 300k and could have done an easy MR to make up the missing points but this was mid December and by then there was nothing good left. They just try to make most people end up with points I think.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
AC marketing is DEAD from the neck up, after 100k put your miles into another program. [perhaps go to 120 for the extra SSWU]
Old Apr 6, 2008, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by why fly
AC marketing is DEAD from the neck up, after 100k put your miles into another program. [perhaps go to 120 for the extra SSWU]
It's a tough call for me. I still don't see another program that gives me benefits that I would use. Maybe once a year I end up on a UA flight with E+ and I'm in Y... at most. So E+ is not worth it. I typically only fly UA paid F anyway. So far I have only credited flights to Miles and More when AC wouldn't give anything, and spent it all on wifi @ FRA. The big benefit with keeping it all in AC is that I tend to fly all my vacation flights on AC and as SE I can use IKK. I don't split my points, so I can really go anywhere / do anything. And I get all the upgrades I need. Still the gifts could use some improvement.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
UA miles are nice because they cost so much less to use..... thats about the only advantage.
Also if you are flying UA remember when you ahve status you get 100% bonus miles if you are 1k^
Old Apr 6, 2008, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by why fly
Also if you are flying UA remember when you ahve status you get 100% bonus miles if you are 1k^
Do you get the UA bonus miles if you fly on AC metal? I assumed not, since I don't get AP bonus miles when I fly on UA metal.

Last edited by margarita girl; Apr 6, 2008 at 10:53 am
Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Do you get the bonus miles if you fly on AC metal? I assumed not, since I don't get AP bonus miles when I fly on UA metal.
There is no crossover between AC and United or AC and US with respect to elite bonus miles. UA status does grant 100% bonus on US operated flights, but it does not extend north of the border. I suspect Why Fly credits UA metal flights to UA, and AC to AC to get 100% respective bonuses.

I need to sort out my game plan for 2008. One possibility would be to credit 120k+ on AC and 100k+ into M&M. I fly a number of inexpensive first class US flights each year, and the 300% mileage accrural earned through M&M is attractive. I'll need to research M&M a little more first. On the other hand, like pmax I am generally satisfied with Aeroplan since it fits my travel patterns fairly closely.

SG

Last edited by Snow Goose; Apr 6, 2008 at 1:07 pm
Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by pmax
Agreed, but the 300k ones are always work a fair bit. Overall they seem to drop in value though. Also offering flights is a cheap out for AC.

So what if it's a cheap out? Do car companies not run contests giving away cars? The only thing I have ever won from Tim Horton's is a free donut and coffee or two.

It's about how YOU value the threshold benefit, not how much it costs to give it. Considering the upgrade of the J product and the likelihood that it will be well-patronized on many key routes, one can argue that it is a better benefit than it was before, unless the booking criteria have been made more stringent.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Sebring
So what if it's a cheap out? Do car companies not run contests giving away cars? The only thing I have ever won from Tim Horton's is a free donut and coffee or two.

It's about how YOU value the threshold benefit, not how much it costs to give it. Considering the upgrade of the J product and the likelihood that it will be well-patronized on many key routes, one can argue that it is a better benefit than it was before, unless the booking criteria have been made more stringent.
Nothing... I was just pointing out why there are apparently high valued flight related ones in there. It's cheap relative to some of the other gifts from AC's perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.