Wiki Posts
Search

Sin from YYZ via LAX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Sin from YYZ via LAX

Hi all just a quick question. I will be flying to Singapore from YYZ via LAX. I will be in business class for all my flights, with a 6 hr stopover in LAX. Now my question is about the star A* lounge at LAX at Bradly terminal. Do I have to check in again when I arrive at LAX, or can I do it from YYZ and get my boarding pass for my LAX to Singapore Leg of the flight????
Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:16 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

If it's on one ticket, you should receive your LAX-SIN BP as well when you check in at YYZ and your bags tagged all the way to SIN. (Sounds like you're connecting from AC791 to SQ011)
Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
If it's on one ticket, you should receive your LAX-SIN BP as well when you check in at YYZ and your bags tagged all the way to SIN. (Sounds like you're connecting from AC791 to SQ011)
My flights are AC799 TO SQ37 so then I can go straight to star A* lounge at Bradly without to check in again.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by Ramz
My flights are AC799 TO SQ37 so then I can go straight to star A* lounge at Bradly without to check in again.
I haven't done it in LAX, but I do know that at EWR, although AC gave me a boarding pass to SIN, when I got to security they would not less me through with the AC boarding pass and said they only accepted the SQ pass. Despite my protests, they forced me to go to check-in and get a new boarding pass. Of course check-in did not open until three hours before flight so I had to wait around for them to open.

That was a few years back and EWR isn't exactly a *A hub, so hopefully you have better luck in LA.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
We did the same trip back in October and had to go to the SIN desk to get our boarding passes. Our luggage was checked right through but the AC agent was not able to give us a boarding pass. You also have walk to the international terminal and go through security again.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anishm
We did the same trip back in October and had to go to the SIN desk to get our boarding passes. Our luggage was checked right through but the AC agent was not able to give us a boarding pass. You also have walk to the international terminal and go through security again.
Thanks for the Info. What did you end up doing for the 6 hr stopover.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 9:22 am

LAX Transit

Ramz what day is your flight to SIN. I got the same booking for April 8th 2008. I posted a similar question in the Singapore Airlines – KrisFlyer Forum and was given a number of options of how to waste 7 hours of time in LAX.

From what I understand it will be highly unlikely that you (we) will be able to get a SQ boarding pass from the AC check in counter in YYZ. Given the fact that the SQ check in counter does not open in the Tom Bradley Terminal till 3hours before the flight and LAX security will not likely allow you to enter the secured area where the somewhat new Star Alliance lounge is that leaves almost 4 hours to wander LAX aimlessly.

I was told to do one of the following. Stay inside T2 where the AC flight arrives and use the Maple Leaf lounge or the Air New Zealand lounge in T2. While some have suggested the NZ lounge is a little more comfortable they have also said that depending on how busy they are they might not allow you in. However this goes against some of the basic Star Alliance lounge requirements that indicate a passenger holding on outbound Business Class or higher ticket can use any Star Alliance partner lounges. If you can’t get in to the NZ lounge then you should be able to get in to the MLL with no problem. Once the SQ check in counter opens then leave T2 and walk, (take the bus … but is only a 5-7 min. walk) to Tom Bradley and check in with the SQ counter where you will get an SQ boarding pass and access the to the airside Star Alliance lounge.

You can read the whole thread I started by searching LAX- Transit from T2 to Tom Bradley - Lounge Access in the Singapore Airlines – KrisFlyer Forum or by doing a search of posts I have made.

Have you looked into “Booking the Cook” on the SQ- thread. I still haven’t made up my mind as to what I want, the 1) Seared Chilean bass with creamy saffron sauce, baby vegetables and wild rice or 2) Peppered fillet mignon with mustard jus, chanterelle mushrooms, fava beans, and paprika red potatoes. I plan on calling them this week to confirm my choices.

If you are outward bound before the 8th .. please make a posting as to your experience of waiting in LAX. I will do the same if you are outward bound after the 8th of April.

Good Luck.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:56 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=concol;9494373]Ramz what day is your flight to SIN. I got the same booking for April 8th 2008. I posted a similar question in the Singapore Airlines – KrisFlyer Forum and was given a number of options of how to waste 7 hours of time in LAX.

From what I understand it will be highly unlikely that you (we) will be able to get a SQ boarding pass from the AC check in counter in YYZ. Given the fact that the SQ check in counter does not open in the Tom Bradley Terminal till 3hours before the flight and LAX security will not likely allow you to enter the secured area where the somewhat new Star Alliance lounge is that leaves almost 4 hours to wander LAX aimlessly.

I was told to do one of the following. Stay inside T2 where the AC flight arrives and use the Maple Leaf lounge or the Air New Zealand lounge in T2. While some have suggested the NZ lounge is a little more comfortable they have also said that depending on how busy they are they might not allow you in. However this goes against some of the basic Star Alliance lounge requirements that indicate a passenger holding on outbound Business Class or higher ticket can use any Star Alliance partner lounges. If you can’t get in to the NZ lounge then you should be able to get in to the MLL with no problem. Once the SQ check in counter opens then leave T2 and walk, (take the bus … but is only a 5-7 min. walk) to Tom Bradley and check in with the SQ counter where you will get an SQ boarding pass and access the to the airside Star Alliance lounge.

You can read the whole thread I started by searching LAX- Transit from T2 to Tom Bradley - Lounge Access in the Singapore Airlines – KrisFlyer Forum or by doing a search of posts I have made.

Have you looked into “Booking the Cook” on the SQ- thread. I still haven’t made up my mind as to what I want, the 1) Seared Chilean bass with creamy saffron sauce, baby vegetables and wild rice or 2) Peppered fillet mignon with mustard jus, chanterelle mushrooms, fava beans, and paprika red potatoes. I plan on calling them this week to confirm my choices.

If you are outward bound before the 8th .. please make a posting as to your experience of waiting in LAX. I will do the same if you are outward bound after the 8th of April.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the info. I send you an IM. But if you didn't get it, I leave May 21st from YYZ.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 2:26 pm

Don't forget to have the credit card you booked the flight with as SQ will more than likely ask for it when you try and get your BP.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 7:59 pm

Can the OP not check in on the website with SQ ( PNR + name), have the boarding pass printed at home and then go to the MLL or *A lounge?
Old Mar 31, 2008, 9:04 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Interested to know why you not using the shorter YYZ-YVR-SIN (AC/SQ) or YYZ-HKG-SIN (CX and cheaper) route? Obviously the CX flight will not earn you AP points/status even it is cheaper.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spot planes
Interested to know why you not using the shorter YYZ-YVR-SIN (AC/SQ) or YYZ-HKG-SIN (CX and cheaper) route? Obviously the CX flight will not earn you AP points/status even it is cheaper.
Using my aeroplan points for this trip. Tried that route but no seats.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 8:30 pm

AC799 to SQ37 - wait in LAX

Hi

Last week I did the same route, AC 799 connecting to SQ37.

At check in YYZ I was able to check my bags all the way through but not able to get an SQ boarding pass. I was told I have to check in at the SQ counter in LAX.

Upon arrival at LAX T2 I went straight to the MLL and had to explain to the lounge attendant my story as to why I should be able to use the MML until the SQ counter opens. At first she didn’t really want to let me in but after I should her my itinerary, my AC799 boarding pass and my luggage tags she reluctantly let me in.

The lounge is nothing special, no hot food, just cheese and crackers. It has a few computers, and one large TV, no washrooms (use of common public washrooms outside the lounge), no showers.

I stayed at the lounge until 3.5 hours before SQ 37 was scheduled to leave and then walked over to TB to SQ check in counter. It is about a 5min walk, and a good chance to stretch your legs before a 17hour flight.

The SQ check in was a breeze and was given an invitation to the Star Alliance lounge on the 5th floor. What a difference to the MLL. The inside of the lounge is very comfortable and your food choices are endless. Hot soups, Asian rice, cold sandwiches, sushi. Fully stocked bar.

The first I did was ask to have a shower and a private bath room was opened up and was provide a set of clean towels and hairdryer. After a long hot shower I relaxed in the lounge and waited for the boarding announcement. For this particular flight SQ uses a remote gate requiring a bus to the aircraft so boarding starts a little earlier than normal.

In short I managed to waste some time in the MLL lounge and then a lot more time in the Star Alliance lounge. The one thing I would to differently next time is to try and get into the NZ – Koru Club lounge located next to the MLL in T2. They apparently have showers, and a better food selection then the MLL.

Last edited by concol; May 10, 2008 at 8:54 am
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:48 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan ;BA GOLD;HH GOLD;FAIRMONT PREMIER;SPG GOLD;PR PASS.
If you have time, go and have some good Italian food at Vinces in Torrance.

Yummy!!!
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC *SE, Westjet PLAT, UA Prem, Alaska MVP, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by concol
The one thing I would to differently next time is to try and get into the NZ – Koru Club lounge located next to the MLL in T2. They apparently have showers, and a better food selection then the MLL.
Yes, the Koru Club lounge is much better than the MLL at LAX. They do have showers and that's the excuse I have used a few times to get entry into that lounge while flying on Air Canada (because I had Air Canada boarding pass, the lounge lady wanted me to go and use the MLL. I told her that I needed to shower and that the MLL didn't have showers - then she let me in, no problems).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.