Family Denied Access to RCC

Old Mar 17, 08, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Thumbs down Family Denied Access to RCC

Today I was traveling with my family thru ORD (Terminal C). We went to the RCC and were told that my family could not enter the club (wife and 2 children), the lady said that *G privileges’ allow only 1 guest for AC E/SE entering RCC, so I would have to purchase additional guest passes for my 3 yr old and 3 month old! I debated the issue with her for some while, since I had recently checked the RCC website and it states on the
Terms and conditions” page “Member guest limit for Clubs in the United States is two, or spouse and dependent children. Member guest limit in Clubs outside the United States is one, or spouse and dependent children.” She said that it was an issue for many AC travelers and that it was a strict UA policy…

I’ve never had that happen before, Is she for real?
Old Mar 17, 08, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are four RCC's at ORD. Just try another one.
Old Mar 17, 08, 3:23 pm

Programs: Gold [A|Club], Privilège [VIA], Basic [AP, AS, SPG]

Last edited by The Ivory Actuary; Jul 4, 08 at 8:10 pm Reason: I can't believe I made such a terrible joke...
Old Mar 17, 08, 8:49 pm

This is UA policy for Star Alliange Gold travelers, but i've never had a problem. Next time, just send them in while you check in with the matrons (or dragons as the UA posters call em)
Old Mar 17, 08, 9:23 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AP Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
sram,

Here it is from the Aeroplan site, my bolding:
Star Alliance Airport Lounges

As a Star Alliance Gold member, you have complimentary access to Star Alliance airport lounges worldwide displaying the Star Alliance Gold symbol. Whenever you fly any Star Alliance member airline:

Present your Air Canada Elite card and Star Alliance member airline boarding pass or confirmed ticket for a same-day departing flight to the lounge reception agent.
You can invite one complimentary guest, who must accompany you and provide an eligible boarding pass or confirmed ticket for a same-day departing flight.
Lounge access is subject to certain terms and conditions as well as space availability.
Visit each Star Alliance carrier's web site for lounge locations and guest policies
From the UA site:
United reserves the right to restrict, alter or modify the fees, amenities, services, Club hours, locations, reciprocal lounge agreements at anytime with or without written notice to our members and customers

Last edited by taupo; Mar 17, 08 at 9:28 pm
Old Mar 17, 08, 10:19 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sram View Post
Today I was traveling with my family thru ORD (Terminal C). We went to the RCC and were told that my family could not enter the club (wife and 2 children), the lady said that *G privileges’ allow only 1 guest for AC E/SE entering RCC
The lady was correct. As an AC E/SE, the 'lounge access for the entire family' benefit applies only at AC's own lounges.

since I had recently checked the RCC website and it states on the “Terms and conditions” page “Member guest limit for Clubs in the United States is two, or spouse and dependent children. Member guest limit in Clubs outside the United States is one, or spouse and dependent children.”
Those are the rules for RCC members, which you are not.

The *G lounge access rules can be found at http://www.StarAlliance.com/en/trave...s/lounges.html:
Star Alliance Gold card holders and one guest, have access to any lounge around the world that is identified with a Star Alliance Gold lounge sign when departing on a Star Alliance flight, no matter which class of service they travel in. Just look for the Star Alliance Gold sign outside the lounge and present the ticket for your same-day Star Alliance flight, your boarding pass and your frequent flyer programme card featuring the Star Alliance Gold logo. Guests must enter the lounges with an eligible Star Alliance Gold member and must depart on a Star Alliance member airline, but may travel on a different flight.

Eligible Guests
Any guest of an eligible customer (International First, Star Alliance Gold card holders, and eligible paid member) must enter the designated lounge with the eligible customer. The guest must also depart on a Star Alliance carrier, but may travel on a different flight.
Old Mar 17, 08, 11:32 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Abuse will lead to less privileges.

*alliance rules are clear and allowing to bring one guest for gold members is already generous.

If we continue to abuse and pretend, we may soon loose these privileges too. Claiming to bring three people along is a little bit over the top. And on the other hand we complain about crowded lounges...

Should lounge access be important may I suggest to buy tickets in the corresponding service class .
Old Mar 18, 08, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Wink

Originally Posted by behuman View Post
*alliance rules are clear and allowing to bring one guest for gold members is already generous.

If we continue to abuse and pretend, we may soon loose these privileges too. Claiming to bring three people along is a little bit over the top. And on the other hand we complain about crowded lounges...

Should lounge access be important may I suggest to buy tickets in the corresponding service class .
Thanks for the clarification. I did believe that we could bring child dependants into to the RCC as RCC's terms and conditions are referenced on their UA *G lounge page here (at the bottom): http://www.united.com/page/article/0,1360,3113,00.html
That was my primary point of dispute with the agent. As for trying another lounge at ORD, that's not my intention, to 'sneak' into the lounge.
As for the comment about "abuse", i think that's a little over the top; to think that bringing in a in-lap 3 mo old infant into the lounge is "abuse" of lounge access.
Old Jul 4, 08, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
Star Gold / US Lounges

I've spent 15 minutes searching but haven't found the answer to these questions:

a) If I get 35k status miles on AC, am I entitled (through Star Alliance Gold) to the US/UA (and soon CO) lounges in the US, on a purely US domestic itinerary?
I ask because US airlines sometimes treate Canada as a domestic destination, and therefore not eligible for these types of benefits.

If the answer is yes, this seems to be a very good deal for the occasional star alliance flyer (like me), who often hits around 35k but would never reach 50k...

b) Would a UA ticket booked in D (which is not full fare business, but not the cheapest either) qualify for 100% or 150% status miles?

Thanks a lot,
Shawn
Old Jul 4, 08, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K, Ex-DL Plat, SPG Plat, IC Plat, Hilton Gold
I am sorry but I think there should be a minimum age for entry into a lounge. Doesn't matter where they are dependents or not. Many of us seek refuge in the lounge to escape to escape the young ones and the antics (noise) that will follow.
Old Jul 4, 08, 7:03 pm

Programs: NZ *G
While as a childless bachelor I sorta want to agree with you..... even I realise that is a bit over the top..

Perhaps what is needed instead are more lounges like the NZ AKL one (and others I'm sure) which have a childrens area... Fine idea that! (Seems to be stocked with toys etc... not entirely sure about that- just glanced in as I went past...)

Shawn... as an NZ *G I have had no trouble accessing RCC's/US Clubs on purely domestic itins.. I assume the same holds for an AC *G????
Old Jul 4, 08, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC E35K
Originally Posted by Shawn02139 View Post
I've spent 15 minutes searching but haven't found the answer to these questions:

a) If I get 35k status miles on AC, am I entitled (through Star Alliance Gold) to the US/UA (and soon CO) lounges in the US, on a purely US domestic itinerary?
I ask because US airlines sometimes treate Canada as a domestic destination, and therefore not eligible for these types of benefits.

If the answer is yes, this seems to be a very good deal for the occasional star alliance flyer (like me), who often hits around 35k but would never reach 50k...

b) Would a UA ticket booked in D (which is not full fare business, but not the cheapest either) qualify for 100% or 150% status miles?

Thanks a lot,
Shawn
Since everyone is worried about the posts from March, I'll take a stab.

AC Elite will gain you access into any *Gold lounge as long as you're travelling on a *A airline. No difference between domestic or international itineraries.

Here is the accumlation rules for Aeroplan on UA flights:

Mileage earned‡§

You’ll earn 500 Aeroplan Miles on flights of up to 500 miles and 100% of the miles you fly on flights of over 501 miles.

Class of Service Bonus:

First Class: 50%
Full fare Business Class: 25%
Discounted Business Class: 100% of miles flown with a minimum of 500 Aeroplan Miles.

So I would guess, you would not receive COS bonus.
Old Jul 4, 08, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today I was traveling with my family thru ORD (Terminal C). We went to the RCC and were told that my family could not enter the club (wife and 2 children), the lady said that *G privileges’ allow only 1 guest for AC E/SE entering RCC, so I would have to purchase additional guest passes for my 3 yr old and 3 month old! I debated the issue with her for some while, since I had recently checked the RCC website and it states on the
Terms and conditions” page “Member guest limit for Clubs in the United States is two, or spouse and dependent children. Member guest limit in Clubs outside the United States is one, or spouse and dependent children.” She said that it was an issue for many AC travelers and that it was a strict UA policy…

I’ve never had that happen before, Is she for real?
These days, would you be surprised that agents start throwing the book at you if they can make some extra money to keep their job?
Old Jul 4, 08, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
STARGolds from all programs except those of UA and US can access the RCCs and US Clubs on any itinerary containing STAR space out of the appropriate airport, domestic, transborder or international. It is only the two American carriers that restrict STARGold access to their own members except when flying outside NAmerica. So an AC STARGold can use any US or UA club even when flying on a fully intra-USA itinerary on one or the other of the two carriers.

As for guest policy, it is clearly stated as one guest (family member or no) and the other clauses relate only to RCC members, not STARGolds.
Old Jul 4, 08, 9:21 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
At MCO RCC in early February I was told my wife and my three month old counted as two guests. I gave a very confused lookto the Agent who said that was the policy, but she would let it go this time. Maybe under 24-months should not count, just like they don't pay for a seat. Do they really think I would pay $50 to take my three month old son into the lounge?

Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
As for guest policy, it is clearly stated as one guest (family member or no) and the other clauses relate only to RCC members, not STARGolds.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: