Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC Sunday Morning - From Air Passenger Bill to Monte Brewer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC Sunday Morning - From Air Passenger Bill to Monte Brewer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2008, 1:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by YUL2YEG
Except then no one would ever pay to get on an earlier flight.
Fair point. I'll make some of my own:

1. People would book seats on the earlier flights because the later would be sold out if "everyone" was booking the later flights. Or, in an ideal world, the earlier flight would be canceled due to low numbers, they'd put a larger plane on for the later flight and then they'd only be running one plane and making more money for themselves (one crew, one set of landing fees, etc. etc.)

2. AC is missing out on the goodwill/customer service component. If I get to the airport early and they have an empty seat and I get home early, I feel good about the airline.

3. The more passengers that are at their destination, the fewer passengers who need to be rebooked when weather or mechanical happens. Of my 7 flights this year, 5 have been delayed by hours due to mechanical or weather (mainly mechanical.) If my travel is a fair sample (and I didn't fly through ORD once!) then there must be some real $$$ to be save by Air Canada if they deliver passengers who are at the airport, ready to go, early, instead of making them sit around while problems mount and then having to figure out how to reroute them.

4. It would save AC money at the lounges (I'm not sitting in there eating/drinking/taking up space waiting for a flight when an empty seat could have taken me away.)

5. Even if it is fair to charge for changes, why is the fee $150 on my $283 flight this week and only $40 on my flight $156 flight in May? (Perhaps because AC has several flights I could change to on this week's route but only offer one flight a day on the route in May, therefore they can offer a cheaper change fee simply because there are no flights to change to.) Both are Tango Plus fares.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 2:12 pm

Programs: AC 25K
Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
Fair point. I'll make some of my own:

1. People would book seats on the earlier flights because the later would be sold out if "everyone" was booking the later flights. Or, in an ideal world, the earlier flight would be canceled due to low numbers, they'd put a larger plane on for the later flight and then they'd only be running one plane and making more money for themselves (one crew, one set of landing fees, etc. etc.)

2. AC is missing out on the goodwill/customer service component. If I get to the airport early and they have an empty seat and I get home early, I feel good about the airline.

3. The more passengers that are at their destination, the fewer passengers who need to be rebooked when weather or mechanical happens. Of my 7 flights this year, 5 have been delayed by hours due to mechanical or weather (mainly mechanical.) If my travel is a fair sample (and I didn't fly through ORD once!) then there must be some real $$$ to be save by Air Canada if they deliver passengers who are at the airport, ready to go, early, instead of making them sit around while problems mount and then having to figure out how to reroute them.

4. It would save AC money at the lounges (I'm not sitting in there eating/drinking/taking up space waiting for a flight when an empty seat could have taken me away.)

5. Even if it is fair to charge for changes, why is the fee $150 on my $283 flight this week and only $40 on my flight $156 flight in May? (Perhaps because AC has several flights I could change to on this week's route but only offer one flight a day on the route in May, therefore they can offer a cheaper change fee simply because there are no flights to change to.) Both are Tango Plus fares.
I'd agree with most of what you said (though points 1 and 5 are a bit unclear). You just have to have a way to value each additional component, estimate certain associated quantities, assign probabilities, and incorporate all these into a the model. If you want a realistic model it would get really complicated pretty quickly since things are seasonal, factors change all the time due to weather, demand, competition (ok maybe not competition), etc..

Maybe AC have done this, maybe they haven't. Sometimes I doubt it (and we shouldn't give them any ideas). Anyway, since this is a bit off topic maybe we should start a new thread titled "Reverse Engineering AC's Revenue Management Model"
Old Mar 3, 2008, 10:32 pm

Programs: AC, BW, National
I'll jump in ..... cowabunga!

And while they talked about the software AC had to maximize revenues and how an airline seat is perishable and worth nothing when the gate closes; they didn't address the fact that AC will let a seat go empty if a passenger confirmed on a later flight is standing at the gate willing to fly earlier but unwilling to pay the change fee. If they are interested in maximizes profits, I'd think they'd fill the empty seat leaving in a few minutes and hope to sell the later seat at full price with a last minute traveler.
They will move you up to the earlier flight, nut at their convienance. I phoned the day before LHR - YVR and asked if we could move to the noon departure from the 1:45 departure. The answer, sure for $100 each. We show up at LHR and guess what, they ask, would you mind leaving on the noon flight. My wife says yes, I don't want to becuase, we have duty free shopping to do, VAT receipts to turn in and the lounge to hit. Guess what, we left at noon.

So they will do it, just when you don't appear eager.

..... SC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.