Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits

Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun

International

eUpgrade Clearance Windows

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:22 am

Ok - the same thing is happening with my next two cabin flight, looking to eUp.

I keep checking BCD, which tells me J3, though I can see via ac.com View Seats that it should say J7. R space is consistently 0, though all other flights on that day have tons of R. It's on a A319-100. J3 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V5. One odd thing is that all the other flights that day show double or more letter code availabilities.

I wasn't checking BCD when I booked (new to eUps). I'm Flex G, and likely picked this particular option for price, though it could have simply been availability. Often when reviewing options, there will be one or two withe a clear lowest price (in a brand class) - which I assumed was purely based on open space, but now I'm not so sure.

I can try EF shortly when I slide into my eUp window, but I have my doubts based on other flights on that day showing R etc far in advance.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eracerblue
I keep checking BCD, which tells me J3, though I can see via ac.com View Seats that it should say J7
The seat map shows you which seats are booked/blocked, and unassigned.

You can buy a ticket without selecting a seat, in which case, it might go from J8 to J7, but there'd still be 8 unoccupied seats on the map.

Never trust the seat map.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
(Nearly?) all TA booked travel won't automatically reserve a seat. And you can buy yourself without doing so, which always strikes me as odd but it happens. Or you could buy a seat and the AC site won't let you pick seats.
If you don't have EF try buying 2/3/4/5/6/7 seats and see when the AC website stops offering that flight.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The seat map shows you which seats are booked/blocked, and unassigned.

You can buy a ticket without selecting a seat, in which case, it might go from J8 to J7, but there'd still be 8 unoccupied seats on the map.

Never trust the seat map.
Hmm, I always figured that anything but heavily discounted seats were pre-assigned in some fashion.

So my travel plans have changed, but I'm keen to figure out what was happening here with AC221 today, so I can do this better in future.

I have an EF trial, which now shows:
J4 C1 D1 Z0 P0 R0 Y9 B9 M8 U6 H4 Q2
V0 W0 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0
compared to BCD on Feb 7: J3 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V5
I believe I saw J as high as 6 at one point.

For this and many dates (Monday's etc) in to the future R is 0 on this flight, while most all others on that day have >R1. It feels like something other than simple formulas in the background, as on several occasions I would have figured R would have been released. Is R more manual than that? Do they block it off on certain flights for undisclosed reasons?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:17 pm

PS. I did create an R1 alert several days ago, which never triggered.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@eracerblue!

How dare you try this hard to eUpgrade onto a one hour flight! You're less of a person because of this (according to the RCHHMP constables here)
(your eUps are expiring month-end and you need to use them? invalid reason! you can only use your eUps two days prior to expiry and anymore prior to that must mean you are a petty individual!)
You hear me! I'm judging you!

eracerblue and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
@eracerblue!

How dare you try this hard to eUpgrade onto a one hour flight! You're less of a person because of this (according to the RCHHMP constables here)
(your eUps are expiring month-end and you need to use them? invalid reason! you can only use your eUps two days prior to expiry and anymore prior to that must mean you are a petty individual!)
You hear me! I'm judging you!

Right? Definitely makes it all worth it, that dreamy 1hr J upgrade I had last year... a couple of bevvies and turned my nose at the snack. That, playing R-games, EYW, and the IT treats.... what's not to love?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: SPG Plat., AC Alt. E50+, AP DD; BA Gold, OW Emerald
Question Upgrade Advice - E50K April 16/18 YYZ-YVR 787-9

HI All,

I'm new to E and trying to figure out the best ways to use my e-ups. Where I work for a nonprofit I am usually booked into Tango.

1. It would be difficult to justify paying for an upgrade, though I could do so out of pocket, are upgrades every available on T with just e-ups and without paying cash?

2. What is the best strategy for trying to get this particular flight upgraded?

3. Recently (February/18) I was on a flight to Chicago, and was very new to E status, I stopped by AC customer service at YYZ to ask if I could upgrade my seat they said they would add me to the waitlist and that I would more than likely get the upgrade. In the end I did and my e-ups were only reduced by 1 from 40 to 39. Is this normal? Is it a better use of E-ups to do it at the airport on the day of?

Thank-you in advance for help.

PS I'm happy to do some reading on my own, is there some recommended reading on how best to use the system?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Error in judgement.

Last edited by Seat13F_AC_CRJ; Apr 28, 2018 at 2:38 pm Reason: Hindsight,
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:21 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
System wide upgrade coupons are back???
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:46 pm

Question Upgrade process - E50K - YYZ-YYC AC009

Hi All --- Just looking for some advice. I'm hoping to e-up on YYZ-YYC AC009 - May 2. There has been zero R space since the 14 day window (i'm a nominee for a SE).

What happens between now and t-24?

At t-24 what is the priority in terms of the upgrades being given out?

Thanks all.

PK
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:40 pm

Between now and then, they may clear people off the waitlist. You have SE priority at this point.

After checkin, your priority drops to your own status (E50K).
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:47 pm

Thanks for explaining. I'm more concerned about YVR-YYZ redeye two weeks from now. So I have cancelled the SE upgrade request and moved it to my own. This was really helpful
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by pkdi
Thanks for explaining. I'm more concerned about YVR-YYZ redeye two weeks from now. So I have cancelled the SE upgrade request and moved it to my own. This was really helpful
You're aware that lowers your priority, right?
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:41 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Hi I’m looking for info or a link. { I had an AC link save , but it now goes to cyberspace}

AC824 June 1 yyz-ams. Blue square not available on upgrade page. Expert flyer shows P9.

If I recall correctly , Lat fare should be upgradeable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.