Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Jazz Sucks !

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2008, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by Tangoer
So nice to see a Junior Board regular posting using an original FT user name these days.
Lapse in judgment!
Old Feb 9, 2008, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to the AC webcast on Thursday they are in fact refreshing the cabin interiors of the Dash 8 fleet.....they have also recently added some used Dash 8's to the fleet........And they have no intention of replacing them as they are not fuel hungry!
Old Feb 9, 2008, 8:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
While I don't like the tarmac to tarmac service, I have to say for the routes that they are used on (most, not all), they are fine. Fast to load and unload, luggage in skycheck is always there (for me), more reliable than Embraers in cold weather.

On the down side, they are noisy, uncomfortable for more than an hour's flight and there's always that tarmac to tarmac bit . . .
Old Feb 9, 2008, 8:44 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
there's always that tarmac to tarmac bit . . .

Couple of weeks ago we left the warm humid air of AKL, our next breath of fresh outside air was -35 in Fort St John
Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Cool (quite literally!)
Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:52 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
Crash 8's are so sad in my opinion! I flew one YOW-YUL in December and everytime I fly one it reminds me of flying a float plane. I agree these old dogs are due to be put to rest!
Old Feb 10, 2008, 8:14 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by greenlotus
Crash 8's are so sad in my opinion! I flew one YOW-YUL in December and everytime I fly one it reminds me of flying a float plane. I agree these old dogs are due to be put to rest!
What 37-50 seat turboprop (not jet) should they be replaced with?
Old Feb 11, 2008, 7:18 am

Programs: UA Gold - Hyatt Plat - Nexus
Originally Posted by taupo
What 37-50 seat turboprop (not jet) should they be replaced with?
See post #21.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Avis First, HH Diamond
These are brand new compared to NW Diesel 9's. I think a bunch of them still flying were delivered in the 60's!
Old Feb 11, 2008, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Machdiamond
But of course.

Or a mix of Q200 Q300 and Q400. It is a no-brainer.

http://www.bombardier.com/index.jsp?...3_1_2_4_4.html
There is surprisingly little economic gain for AC in buying the Q200/300 and while the Q400 has better economics, it is also to large to replace most of AC's existing Dash 8 fleet. No need for AC to dump perfectly good aircraft that are owned and fully depreciated for a fleet of new planes that would cost hundreds of millions of dollars and not appreciably change the travel experience or improve operating economics.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Academic
I think they must just use the sick ones for YSB. I've had very few problems out of YXU .

A lot more service,IIRC,to and from YXU by Jazz.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 3:22 pm

Programs: S.E, Preferred Select, SPG Platinum
Jazz handled a situation this morning on 7950 absolutely terrible.

It took 1.5 hrs t get fuel delivered to the dusty old Dash 8 and then on top of this logistical nightmare we had to line up in the de-icing bay only to head back to the gate after this lenghty delay becaues the pilot was too ill to fly.

Just like that after 2hrs the flight is cancelled and Jazz leaves us stranded in YYZ east hold satellite terminal with no direction except to deplane and clear cdn customs.

What sort of compensation am I entitled to? My whole day was a write off.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tech question.

How picky are mechanics/pilots becoming before a plane is designated as 'mechanical?'
Could it be that what passed as OK a few years ago,e.g.toilet not flushing(just a loose example folks) would be a mechanical today?

As an extra,flight 7802 a few weeks ago went mechanical at YSB.All passengers deplaned and flight left for YYZ (or perhaps YXU) with only crew aboard.Nothing else was said and many re-booked on later flights or ended up driving to Toronto.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold - Hyatt Plat - Nexus
Originally Posted by Sebring
perfectly good aircraft
I suspect we are using different criteria on that definition
Old Feb 11, 2008, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Machdiamond
I suspect we are using different criteria on that definition
Yes, I consider the Dash 8s perfectly good for the short time one sits in it and for the small markets they serve. Think of them as mini buses with wings.

Putting the economics of acquisitions costs aside, would new turboprops really provide a better dispatch rate than the old Dash 8s. Given that the current fleet is on a maintenance cycle, both hours and cycles, would the new planes have fewer glitches in between main cycles. Before assuming the answer is no because they are new, think of Embraer's issues with reliability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.