Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Crew dragged AC co-pilot off jet at Shannon after mid-air scare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crew dragged AC co-pilot off jet at Shannon after mid-air scare

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:18 am

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by pr0digy25
As usual... careful fact-checking the original PDF would indicate it was the Captain who was 58, not the co-pilot. Par for the course CNN.
In their hasty attempt to generalize, CNN made numerous assumptions.

Was the FO hospitalized in an Irish mental ward? The report merely states he was in hospital for 11 days.

Was there a struggle in removing the FO? The report mentions an FA's wrist was injured in the process, but can we make that leap?

Did the captain search for "any passenger who was a qualified pilot" or just for deadheading AC pilots on the manifest? I interpreted it as likely the latter. I would assume (AC staff please correct as required) that a captain might opt to continue the diversion solo as opposed to accepting an unknown stranger into the cockpit of his airplane - regardless of the flying skills and good intent of that passenger. Fortunately, the CPL-rated FA provided an excellent solution.

Finally, did her expired instrument rating mean that she no longer had a valid "license to read cockpit instruments"? My word.

And some geeks on airliners.net would have a field day with the accompanying picture of the four-engined 767 with winglets...
Old Nov 20, 2008, 4:46 am

Irish newspaper coverage

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...d-1546207.html
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:01 am

Programs: UA Gold - Hyatt Plat - Nexus
Originally Posted by threepoint
Finally, did her expired instrument rating mean that she no longer had a valid "license to read cockpit instruments"? My word.
Not being "current" is not as strong as "expired". All it means is that she did not perform six instrument landings in the preceding six months, but she was instrument rated nonetheless.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:14 am

and Fox

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,455064,00.html
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:38 am

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
Originally Posted by threepoint
Your average FA wouldn't have the faintest idea what all the shiny buttons are.
I was called to assess a passenger with a medical emergency on a flight a couple of years ago and discovered that the flight attendant had been an RN (registered nurse). Her assistance was very helpful.
Sure, it wasn't helping to land a plane, but it did point out to me that people become flight attendants for various reasons and that many may have specialized skills that go beyond doling out the BOB or making certain I have my seatbelt fastened.

Kudos to the whole crew with regards to the Irish incident.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 2:44 pm

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by Machdiamond
Not being "current" is not as strong as "expired". All it means is that she did not perform six instrument landings in the preceding six months, but she was instrument rated nonetheless.
Yes, I know, thanks. My point was that there is no such thing as a "license to read cockpit instruments" and that every pilot is so rated, so to speak. It was classic journalistic simple-speak. The validity or expiration date of an instrument rating is merely semantics and regulatory and in no way supports any pilot's physical or mental ability to conduct an Instrument Rules flight.

Originally Posted by dibby
I was called to assess a passenger with a medical emergency on a flight a couple of years ago and discovered that the flight attendant had been an RN (registered nurse). Her assistance was very helpful.
Sure, it wasn't helping to land a plane, but it did point out to me that people become flight attendants for various reasons and that many may have specialized skills that go beyond doling out the BOB or making certain I have my seatbelt fastened.
Yep, agreed. I stated "the average FA..." and I stick to my assertion. There are licensed commercial pilots who work as flight attendants, which is great, but what percentage of the ranks do they represent? But most of the others, I maintain, wouldn't know a trim wheel from a flap handle. It was wonderful coincidence that a staff member with valid flying training was available to assist in this case.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one flight attendant admitted she held a current commercial pilot’s license but said her license for reading cockpit instruments had expired.

“The flight attendant provided useful assistance to the commander, who remarked in a statement to the investigation that she was `not out of place’ while occupying the right-hand seat,” the report said.
awesome ^
Old Nov 21, 2008, 1:08 am

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
I also saw an article on a newspaper this morning in HKG. I guess it makes a ''unusual'' aviation story and get attention worldwide. Article also mention the very professional way this situation has been handled by the Captain and the crew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.