Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Crew dragged AC co-pilot off jet at Shannon after mid-air scare

Crew dragged AC co-pilot off jet at Shannon after mid-air scare

Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Gold - Hyatt Plat - Nexus
The Irish Air Accident Investigation Unit has published the final report on this incident.
One of the FA held a Commercial Pilot License, Multi-Engine and Instrument Rating . Very cool. She took the First Officer seat for the remainder of the flight.

http://www.aaiu.ie/upload/general/11139-0.pdf
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:55 am

Programs: AEROPLAN
Originally Posted by Machdiamond
The Irish Air Accident Investigation Unit has published the final report on this incident.
One of the FA held a Commercial Pilot License, Multi-Engine and Instrument Rating . Very cool. She took the First Officer seat for the remainder of the flight.

http://www.aaiu.ie/upload/general/11139-0.pdf
"Prior to descent, the Commander asked the Incharge Flight Attendant to go the Passenger Information List (PIL) to see if there were any flight crew on board who might be available to assist on the Flight deck for the remainder of the flight. In the event no line pilots were on board, but one of the Cabin attendants held a Commercial Pilot’s Licence, with a Multi-engine Rating, and a non-current Instrument Rating. The Commander requested that the Flight Attendant occupy the right-hand (First Officers) seat for the remainder of the flight to assist as necessary. The Flight Attendant provided usefull assistance to the Commander, who remarked in a statement to the Investigation that she was ‘not out of place’ while occupying the right-hand seat. "
Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:26 am

Programs: E75K, Fairmont Platimum
Originally Posted by st7860
"Prior to descent, the Commander asked the Incharge Flight Attendant to go the Passenger Information List (PIL) to see if there were any flight crew on board who might be available to assist on the Flight deck for the remainder of the flight. In the event no line pilots were on board, but one of the Cabin attendants held a Commercial Pilot’s Licence, with a Multi-engine Rating, and a non-current Instrument Rating. The Commander requested that the Flight Attendant occupy the right-hand (First Officers) seat for the remainder of the flight to assist as necessary. The Flight Attendant provided usefull assistance to the Commander, who remarked in a statement to the Investigation that she was ‘not out of place’ while occupying the right-hand seat. "
I can see the pilots burning up right now with all the FAs saying, "See, we should get paid the same as an F/O" and "It's not that hard to fly." Seriously, good on the FA for stepping up. ^
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by halfmileman
I can see the pilots burning up right now with all the FAs saying, "See, we should get paid the same as an F/O" and "It's not that hard to fly." Seriously, good on the FA for stepping up. ^
No way! The FAs should be paid more than the cockpit crew.

Can you see a pilot doing FA duties? Successfully, I mean.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:04 am

Programs: E75K, Fairmont Platimum
Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
No way! The FAs should be paid more than the cockpit crew.

Can you see a pilot doing FA duties? Successfully, I mean.
Hi Ken,

How are things? Their respective pay rates are certainly debatable - but I'm positive there are some pilots stewing over this one! It gives the FAs a lot to poke fun at them with.

There is animosity that stems from a grievance the FAs filed over discrimination, equating their role to that of a flight engineer (or second officer). I can't recall if that was ever resolved, but it sure did p.o. a lot of the pilots.

hmm
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by halfmileman
I'm positive there are some pilots stewing over this one! It gives the FAs a lot to poke fun at them with.
It shouldn't. The CPL skills the FA had were obtained by years of training and study completely separate from her training as an attendant. Your average FA wouldn't have the faintest idea what all the shiny buttons are.
I'm sure she did an admirable job (and hope she cheekily logged the hours). But a non-pilot FA has no justification for equating any part of their job with any part of a pilot's.

Any pilots stewing should lighten up. I'm sure any captain in the same situation would benefit from a knowledgeable staff member in the right seat, even to help with checklists and radio calls. I know I would.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:50 pm

Read the whole report. Sounds like everything went well, despite the incapacitation.

Given the possible negative outcomes, to the Captain and the crew (FO excluded).. a well deserved thumbs-up. ^
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:09 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
It's not so much what the pilots know but the timing of when to apply it. The rules and regs and procedures for flying transport category jet in controlled airspace must be vast. Not to mention knowing when manipulate the controls, edit the flight computer, make radio calls, interpret ATC's messages. The list is endless.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:41 pm

I hope this fellow gets well soon. Mental health issues are devastating to everyone in the circle - family, co-workers, friends.

All the best for this man
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold - Hyatt Plat - Nexus
Well, you know, everybody has his job to do and I have as much respect for either one.
If a FA gets paid more than a pilot, that's perfectly fine with me. I wouldn't want all the crap they have to face every day for a million dollar.
I am also fully aware of the ridiculous financial sacrifices pilots have to go through before landing their sore b*tt in the front office of a main line aircraft.
At the end of the day, we are all trying our best and we should feel fortunate to be served by people who worked hard to get there.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Did we ever hear what the diagnosis was for the FO? Reading through the incident report it sounds like it was a stress induced breakdown.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:18 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
^ to the FA!
Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:33 pm

Programs: AC E
And also a thumbs-up to the captain who demonstrated outstanding CRM skills and wasn't too proud to ask for help from a fellow crew member - licensed or not.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Story even picked up by cnn at this point.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe....ap/index.html
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Story even picked up by cnn at this point.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe....ap/index.html
As usual... careful fact-checking the original PDF would indicate it was the Captain who was 58, not the co-pilot. Par for the course CNN.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.