Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Crew dragged AC co-pilot off jet at Shannon after mid-air scare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crew dragged AC co-pilot off jet at Shannon after mid-air scare

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:46 pm

I was also surprised that they just didn't continue on to London.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:47 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by TA
if the situation was stable, does anyone know what considerations might taken about just continuing to London? It's only 300 or so more miles (1 hour or so), and would be so much easier to not to have to divert, and plus afterwards, how is Air Canada going to look after its sick pilot at an irregular station with no staff?

correction: or how about even diverting to Dublin? AC has service there.
The worst possible scenario would be for both pilots to become incapacitated.

So the overriding concern is that there is only one person capable of flying the plane. So it needs to be put on the ground at the earliest possible opportunity. Therefore, the PF puts on an oxygen mask and lands the plane.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Imagine my surprise today when I grabbed an Evening Standard on my way to the tube and saw "a post on flyertalk.com" quoted:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...jet/article.do

It's a sad thing that I'm surprised doesn't happen more often - mainly due to the sheer number of pilots in the sky and the chance of someone having a breakdown not being zero.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 4:00 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by zorn
The worst possible scenario would be for both pilots to become incapacitated.

So the overriding concern is that there is only one person capable of flying the plane. So it needs to be put on the ground at the earliest possible opportunity. Therefore, the PF puts on an oxygen mask and lands the plane.
but there were more than 2 pilots, for a transatlantic, right?
Old Jan 30, 2008, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TA
but there were more than 2 pilots, for a transatlantic, right?
Wasn't this a YYZ flight? So I would not think there was.

From YYC or YVR, yes there would be a reserve pilot. In which case, you would think they might have continued to LHR.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by Lost In Saigon
I was also surprised that they just didn't continue on to London.
After his co-pilot's removal, regulations would have required the captain to don his oxygen mask and land at “the nearest suitable aerodrome,” said Yvan-Miville Deschênes, a former flight controller.

“It's standard procedure. When there's only one person left in the cockpit, he puts on an oxygen mask in case the cabin depressurizes,” he said. “Continuing to London would have been a security breach.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...l_gam_mostview
Old Jan 30, 2008, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichMSN
Evening Standard on my way to the tube and saw "a post on flyertalk.com" quoted:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...jet/article.do
Yup. Reply #3 on this very same thread.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by payam81
I wonder why AC is protecting the co-pilot and not releasing his name or how long he's been with the airline!
I think its called common sense and Human Resource confidential information.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Well, I think it's proper that the onus should be on the airlines to screen pilots for anything of the kind. And it's not like there are no precedents.

someone mentinoed the Egyptair crash. Then there was the Silkair crash. Older than that, the JAL DC-8 that landed in the San Francisco bay. At least in the latter case, the airline did take quite a bit of flak.

Anyway, on one hand, sure it's hjard for the airlines to monitor the mental health of pilots. On the other hand, as a customer, I still think that it's only fair that I expect them to be successful at it.

And if bullying tactics (as mentioned by the quoted article) don't work, then maybe there are other ways?

But bottom line: I deal with the airlines. I have no contractual relationship with airlines employees. So from my vantage point the airline has to be the party responsible for not having noticed a problem earlier.

impossible to do as i witnessed very similar incident back in sep of 07 with my business partner.

I have known this man for years, probably spend more time with him than my gf over the years. a normal, big, healthy, happy go lucky guy, married to a wonderful, beautiful woman for over 20 years, 2 teanage sons, nice house, vacations, cars, boat, etc.

in may of 07 his wife and one of his sons were killed in an automobile accident. If that wasn't enough, he lost some major personal stock investments to a major fraud here in town literally couple of weeks after the tragic accident. then our business took a major dive in mid july (although it has recovered since). His other son was acting up, drugs, alcohol and such.

i did notice that he wasn't himself and perhaps drank little more than he use to, but overall his dedication to the company and his work ethics were unquestionable,

until we flew together mia-lax with aa on a very memorable september morning. i knew something was not right when we checked out of the hotel, but i assumed he was just tired and perhaps distracted by his tragic thoughts. we had a light conversation on the way to and at the airport, although some of it sounded little strange. we boarded the plane, had a breakfast, and started to do our own thing when he just went psychotic. he thought that i along with all our mutual friends were trying to kill him. he thought that all the people in j cabin were our friends and i was the leader.

trust me, pretty scary. the purser contacted the captain, the captain talked to me. we were over dfw at about this time. the purser made an announcement for a doctor. the 4 of us had a brief consultation together and it was decided that the doctor will try to see if he can calm him with the drugs available on board. the captain and aa dfw hdq made a decision to continue on to lax, probably because i was his friend and with the doctor there we all thought that as strange as his behavior was, we can control him. (also, perhaps because the 777 was needed for nrt flight later that day) the doc gave him some over the the counter pills. the doc and his wife were moved up to j and they sat right next to us across the aisle. he calmed down a bit and we made it to lax. we were met by police and paramedics. the police just made a report but my friend started to become more and more irrational so it was decided that emergency room will be his next stop. after few hours there, the doctors decided to baker act him (a mandatory 72 hour hold at a psychatric facility).

he was released 4 days later. he followed up with private medical and psychiatric help and he's back as good as new. the way it was explained to me that he had a nervous breakdown, hearing voices, seeing things, he was depressed, suicidal plus drinking more alcohol and not eating/sleeping regularly contributed to that memorable september morning. trust me, i've never seen anything like it.

my point is this. i work with this guy for 8-10 hours a day. i'm also his best friend, i was with him almost constatntly after the tragic events in may of last year, yet i didn't see it coming, so unless the airlines will make every pilot do an extensive physical/mental check up every few weeks, these things will happen and there is no way to avoid it.

when it comes, it's too late.

the only thing anybody can hope for in this kind of situation is that the person is not too proud to admit that the pressure is building and they need to step up and deal with it. unfortunately in most cases, especially succesful people, are the last to come forward and ask for help, thus contributing even more to the big nervous meltdown.

Last edited by nacirema; Jan 30, 2008 at 6:06 pm
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:46 pm

Programs: AF Plat, SPG Titanium
Originally Posted by dodo
“It's standard procedure. When there's only one person left in the cockpit, he puts on an oxygen mask in case the cabin depressurizes,” he said. “Continuing to London would have been a security breach.”
I know we live in overly paranoid times, but surely he meant safety breach.

Originally Posted by nacirema
impossible to do as i witnessed very similar incident back in sep of 07 with my business partner.
Thanks for sharing this. An interesting insight into this type of thing.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wsommerv
I know we live in overly paranoid times, but surely he meant safety breach.
Definitely.

Original must have been in French, in which case, in this instance, "securite" (with proper accents) should have been translated not as "security" but as "safety."
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Stress load on pilots rising, union says

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...bad5a7&k=56247

Canadian pilots are dealing with more stress and fatigue than ever before, says the union that represents Air Canada's 3,300 pilots.

"Pilots are flying more hours a month, more days a month," Andy Wilson, president of the Air Canada Pilots Association, said Wednesday. "The pressures are greater. It has a cumulative effect."

His comments follow an apparent mental breakdown by an Air Canada co-pilot this week that forced a London-bound flight to land in Shannon, Ireland.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 3:21 am

Programs: several

in may of 07 his wife and one of his sons were killed in an automobile accident. .
How tragic. That would surely send me over the edge too.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nacirema,thanks for sharing your personal experience.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in may of 07 his wife and one of his sons were killed in an automobile accident. If that wasn't enough, he lost some major personal stock investments to a major fraud here in town literally couple of weeks after the tragic accident. then our business took a major dive in mid july (although it has recovered since). His other son was acting up, drugs, alcohol and such.

i did notice that he wasn't himself and perhaps drank little more than he use to, but overall his dedication to the company and his work ethics were unquestionable,
Well, I would say, if he were a pilot, that's plenty of signs that there is a serious risk of the guy falling apart. For good reasons too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.