Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Serious injuries reported on Calgary flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serious injuries reported on Calgary flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2008, 1:39 pm

Programs: Sans souci
Originally Posted by shore9
I also never thought anything like this was possible, now that I know I will certainly be wearing a seatbelt more often when flying.
That's why they tell you to wear your seatbelt while sitting, even when the fasten seatbelt sign is off.

Many years ago I saw a drinks cart strike a flight attendant when we encountered turbulence. A very sobering sight (especially since the cart hadn't reached me yet).
Old Jan 10, 2008, 1:43 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by RCyyz
And although I have yet toe xperience the new lie flats in the upgraded J, I wonder how practical it is to wear a seatbelt if the seat is fully reclined.
The belt works perfectly and is quite comfortable in the lie-flat position, at least in the 777s. Wear it over the blanket though, so the FAs don't have to wake you up if it gets bumpy.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 1:53 pm

Programs: aeroplan SE
Originally Posted by YYC_BOS_and_Back
Its a measurement problem.

Take the altitudes reported in the flight aware data with a grain of salt. ...

J
Thanks YYC_BOS_and_Back, makes me feel better. My stomach is pretty strong but that sounded unpleasant!

Supporting the mini-poll, I too wear my seatbelt whenever seated. Only once has it mattered: got some major turbulence going YYZ->EWR in a turboprop. Another reason to avoid Newark...
Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting discussion on professional pilots website prune.org.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=307936

There is a mention that computer problem is being considered....post # 27 et al.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:04 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite , Hilton Honors
It is interesting to note that many here wear their seatbelts at all times while seated, I hardly ever do. I also never thought anything like this was possible, now that I know I will certainly be wearing a seatbelt more often when flying.
More often?
I should hope so.
I've been in a dropping 747 where dozens of people were literally flying around and bumping into the roof of the cabin. If you aren't worried enough about where you'll land when the plane suddenly stops dropping, have a thought for the person you might be landing on.

I feel sorry for the cabin staff who are normally not belted in for unexpected events like this one, which I'm just hearing reported as a "control problem".

Commander Bob
Chronic seat belter.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airbus320
Interesting discussion on professional pilots website prune.org.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=307936

There is a mention that computer problem is being considered....post # 27 et al.
And this from CBC:

"An Air Canada flight which rolled suddenly from side to side then plunged in the air may have suffered technical problems, according to passengers interviewed after the plane was diverted to Calgary.

An injured passenger is transported to hospital after an Air Canada plane encountered trouble and made an unscheduled landing at the Calgary airport.
(Larry MacDougal/Canadian Press)
The pilot of Flight 190, heading from Victoria to Toronto, came over the intercom to say there had been a computer failure and that they were flying the plane manually, Richard Kool, a passenger from Victoria, said in an email to CBC News.

Fellow passenger Jayne Harvey, a nurse from Keswick, Ont., said pilots told the flight "the computer had been knocked out."
Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:16 pm

Programs: AC*E and other flirtations
If turbulence is out and a computer glitch is in, the lawyers will be dislocating their ankles trying to be first to YYC.

Not that there's anything wrong with lawyers.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:18 pm

Programs: AEROPLAN
all THREE of an A319\'s flight computers crashed?
Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

now that I know I will certainly be wearing a seatbelt more often when flying.
Some of us know you will spending considerably less time on a plane this year.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:38 pm

It may have been turbulence which exceeded the capabilities of the computer.
There was a "heavy" about 20 miles ahead and 200' above AC190.
Unlikely this was a contributing factor but you never know.
Wake turbulence decends at about 500'/min.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 3:06 pm
B1

details

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/292818
"Harvey said she helped flight attendants, some of whom had their own cuts and bruises, attend to injured passengers.

The 10 were taken to three city hospitals.

“They are all stable. No life-threatening injuries have been identified,” said Dr. Rob Abernathy, associate chief medical officer for the Calgary Health Region

...While they said it felt like the plane fell several hundred metres, the airline said data indicated the altitude drop was about 20 metres."
And from AC - positive news release includes:
"Of the ten individuals transferred to hospital with
non-life threatening injuries, at this time seven have now been released. The
remaining two passengers and one flight attendant in hospital are in stable
condition. Other passengers are continuing their onward travel."

Last edited by B1; Jan 10, 2008 at 3:16 pm
Old Jan 10, 2008, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Good news that all except 3 seem to be OK. Hopefully the last 3 pax + crew will turn out fine after a night in the hospital.

A 20 metre drop doesn't sound like much at all, but maybe the plane was corkscrewing side-to-side as it was dropping relatively slowly. In any case, it'll be interesting to hear the report of what really happened. Must have been scary for those on board at the time!
Old Jan 10, 2008, 3:49 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by zorn
I anxiously await reports of passengers who were not injured but traumatized by the lack of information provided to them about what caused the upset and what was going to happen.
You beat me to it. I'm stunned that this hasn't been posted already!
Old Jan 10, 2008, 4:14 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
It is interesting to note that many here wear their seatbelts at all times while seated, I hardly ever do. I also never thought anything like this was possible, now that I know I will certainly be wearing a seatbelt more often when flying.
I take it you are serious.

How could you not think anything like this was possible?

Did you not listen to the safety briefings?

Simon
Old Jan 10, 2008, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....another classic post !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.