Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Ooops - avoiding AP miles expiry in London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2007, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, SK Diamond, Finnair Gold, BA Silver

I'm trying to avoid expiry of about 60k miles in my wife's account (deadline Nov 14). We're based on London and don't intend to travel before then.

I have 3957 orphan miles in my AP account. Does any of the following qualify as account activity?

1. I transfer ("share") minimum 1000 miles from my account to hers and pay the $20 fee.

2. She purchases the minimum miles allowed.

Reading the AP website doesn't really suggest that the above qualifies, but I'd like to hear from the experts with proof here.

As a last resort I would redeem the miles - any suggestions for the most bang for the buck globally?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 7:00 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Last week I did an Esso purchase in Canada, and submitted the AP number
of another FT'er based in London whose points were expiring.

While I don't intend to make a regular practice of this, maybe someone else
can step up this time ( I am overseas for the enxt few weeks).

It just takes a $3 gas purchase for the min 1 mile.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Paying the $20 fee seems to be the easiest solution...
Old Nov 5, 2007, 8:16 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Last week I did an Esso purchase in Canada, and submitted the AP number
of another FT'er based in London whose points were expiring.

While I don't intend to make a regular practice of this, maybe someone else
can step up this time ( I am overseas for the enxt few weeks).

It just takes a $3 gas purchase for the min 1 mile.
you can also purchase at uniprix for just $1
Old Nov 5, 2007, 8:25 am

Go to www.points.com and sign up for their service, they give 100 Bonus Aeroplan miles. I think it's under $10 for the month, then cancel it.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Aeromove

You can get 250 Aeroplan miles for free for registering with Aeromove at www.aeromove.ca.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 6:01 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, ANZ Airpoints
Originally Posted by RoarAhead
I'm trying to avoid expiry of about 60k miles in my wife's account (deadline Nov 14). We're based on London and don't intend to travel before then.

I have 3957 orphan miles in my AP account. Does any of the following qualify as account activity?

1. I transfer ("share") minimum 1000 miles from my account to hers and pay the $20 fee.

2. She purchases the minimum miles allowed.

Reading the AP website doesn't really suggest that the above qualifies, but I'd like to hear from the experts with proof here.
I did exactly what you are proposing, transferred 1,000 miles (the minimum I believe) to my partner's account, because his miles were about to expire. It worked perfectly, he still has his miles and the transaction was very quick, showed up in his account the next day.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, SK Diamond, Finnair Gold, BA Silver
Thanks for all comments. I went for the minimum mileage transfer - which is already on the account. AP has confirmed this is sufficient activity, so we have hopefully pushed expiry out another year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.