Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flight Pass - Class Action Lawsuit!

Flight Pass - Class Action Lawsuit!

Old Oct 24, 2007, 4:46 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
While I can see where AC's coming from, the flight pass does take away their chance of a pax buying a last minute J fare, this is a big reason why pax buy flight passes in the first place. They should have at least changed it to Z class for new passes bought and kept the existing passes under the original rules. to AC, but what do they care. Seems the real reason that Z become a biz fare class bucket was for the flight passes, at least on NA routes. Very poor for AC not to at least announce this and give warning rather than add to the already confused call center.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xray
This whole thing is really ridiculous. When they take a nice chunk of money from you upfront (12K in my case), the least one can expect is that they won't pull the benefits... Bad decision by someone in some department !
I don'tt think they can legally do that for current pass holders. Contract happened when you purchased. They are not supposed to implement unilateral changes.

If I had a current pass, I would join the class action.

OTOH, for those of us without a pass, this may actually be better in that upgrade chances may go up? At least, if this change dissuades people from buying passes.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:00 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Stranger
I don'tt think they can legally do that for current pass holders. Contract happened when you purchased. They are not supposed to implement unilateral changes.
I would think....I am using an unlimited NA pass, and the upgrades was certainly one of the reasons I purchased it. I was looking to see somewhere in the fine print T&Cs reference to upgrades being based on J availability....can't seem to find that wording anywhere, but I know it used to be there. Anyone have a copy of what that previous actual wording was?

With that in hand, perhaps that will at least allow those of us that have passes to keep getting upgrades until J=0.

Anyone?
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger

If I had a current pass, I would join the class action.

OTOH, for those of us without a pass, this may actually be better in that upgrade chances may go up? At least, if this change dissuades people from buying passes.
AC does what they want, when they want. Same with AP. This is not the first time that something has been changed without notice. I guess their CF situation has improved and they no longer need the cash upfront and this is their way of phasing out the pass.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
From the air canada web site:

https://www.aircanada.com/wallet/ser...milyPageDetail

Upgrades:

Complimentary upgrades are offered with the Latitude fare option only and are subject to availability of the Executive Class fare (J booking class), wherever offered;
Complimentary upgrades can only be requested and confirmed online between 24 hours and one (1) hour prior to the original flight departure time and cannot be processed at the airport;
Complimentary upgrades do not grant access to Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges, nor to any airport lounges;
Air Canada Top Tier upgrade certificates are also permitted, as per the terms and conditions on the certificate.

If they are not allowing the 24h complimentary upgrade even if J=1, then they have changed this term of the pass, without making this change in the list of terms, dealing with complimentary upgrade.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
From the air canada web site:

https://www.aircanada.com/wallet/ser...milyPageDetail

Upgrades:

Complimentary upgrades are offered with the Latitude fare option only and are subject to availability of the Executive Class fare (J booking class), wherever offered;
Complimentary upgrades can only be requested and confirmed online between 24 hours and one (1) hour prior to the original flight departure time and cannot be processed at the airport;
Complimentary upgrades do not grant access to Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges, nor to any airport lounges;
Air Canada Top Tier upgrade certificates are also permitted, as per the terms and conditions on the certificate.
Thanks for that. I do see, though, that the upgrade now gets you lounge access. Which for most of us is a benefit that is worth absolutely nothing.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:37 pm

Programs: AC SE
Hey AC lurkers!

Don't you get tired of screwing your customers? It says J booking class not Z.
What kind of scumbags change the terms on a pre-paid product and don't expect to be sued?

"Complimentary upgrades are offered with the Latitude fare option only and are subject to availability of the Executive Class fare (J booking class), wherever offered"
Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:50 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Hm so far:
- massive price hikes
- deteriorated service up front
- COS bonus taken away without notice
- broken website since forever, yet requirement to use the website
- now upgrades not taken from J but only subset of J
- new passes not even offering what little is left, and using lousy booking classes

What a winner!!!
Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:02 pm

Don't you get tired of screwing your customers?
What do you think?
Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Hmm, wonder when this officially changed on the website. I can no longer see the J class reference in the link below (just get an error message). Can someone scan/pdf the terms and conditions from before. My East-West Pass was purchased October 6 and so far so good (getting rid of a mountain of SWUs) but I don't like what I am hearing on this front.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:18 pm

There are enough AC lurkers on this board that if what is being speculated here was not true, one of them would come out and say it. It's not their fault AC changed the rules, and nor should they take the fall for it, but I do hope that someone high up is getting the message here.

As for where it says J class booking I was unable to find this, but I do recall reading this before. If this airline was honourable they would refund the unused credits for pax who wished to receive a refund due to them buying the pass on a different set of rules. With the cutbacks that have happened this year, I am interested to see what cutbacks they will do for status members packages next year.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Can someone scan/pdf the terms and conditions from before. My East-West Pass was purchased October 6 and so far so good (getting rid of a mountain of SWUs) but I don't like what I am hearing on this front.
Ya, mine was purchased on Sept 7...a PDF of this language would be GREAT...
Old Oct 24, 2007, 9:30 pm

Thumbs down

Just called SE desk to confirm a couple of flight pass upgrades YYZ-YWG-YYZ in a couple of weeks based on this.

I asked the agent if there had been a change to pass upgrades, if they were now being taken out of Z inventory.

She confirmed that they were NOT, that they are still taken from J inventory. The change being made was a directive from Marketing that J=2 or better to issue a pass upgrade, and that direction provided to her was that it was up to the agent to enforce it.

She did say she thought it was wrong, and that if J=1 she's doing the upgrade until she's forced to enforce the new rule.

BAD FORM AC!
Old Oct 25, 2007, 9:51 am

Programs: UA Gold - Hyatt Plat - Nexus
Originally Posted by mjschill
She confirmed that they were NOT, that they are still taken from J inventory. The change being made was a directive from Marketing that J=2 or better to issue a pass upgrade,
Well if that's the case I think it is reasonable for AC to keep at least two seats open in J for those willing to pay full price at the last minute.

If they are still available when boarding starts, they should upgrade those holding Lat flight passes ahead of certificate holders and everybody will be happy. I'm quite sure that's not what they are doing now, are they?

(I just finished up my passes and hesitating to renew in Lat or T+ so I'm following this closely)
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:04 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by Machdiamond
If they are still available when boarding starts, they should upgrade those holding Lat flight passes ahead of certificate holders and everybody will be happy. I'm quite sure that's not what they are doing now, are they?
If you don't get your pass upgrade before going to the airport, you have to use a cert. At that point, you're in line according to status etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.