Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expiration of Aeroplan Points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:32 pm
ALW

Great, thanks, I've cut it really close for a friend's account.

If the Esso points don't post fast enough, am I right that either buying more points, or paying to transfer from mine, is pretty much instantaneous (i.e. same-day)?

Thanks again!
=aw
Old Oct 23, 2007, 1:03 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, ANZ Airpoints
transferring miles

Originally Posted by ALW

If the Esso points don't post fast enough, am I right that either buying more points, or paying to transfer from mine, is pretty much instantaneous (i.e. same-day)?

Thanks again!
=aw
yes ALW, when I did this, it showed up instantly on my account, and the next day on the account I was transferring miles to.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 1:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Tangoer,

Read it again; you tell me.

“ As announced in Oct 2006, Aeroplan has changed its account expiry policy: effective July 01, 2007, Aeroplan Members must have made and continue to make at least one qualifying transaction-either by earning or redeeming miles-every 12 months in order to avoid the closure of their Aeroplan account and expiration of their miles”

May 15 to July 01.......and the answer is?

obviously, you must be one of Aeroplan staff.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ALW

=aw
Esso points usually post the next day, and I've even seen them post the same day. Now why can't Aeroplan do that?
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Sammysllu
Tangoer,

Read it again; you tell me.

“ As announced in Oct 2006, Aeroplan has changed its account expiry policy: effective July 01, 2007, Aeroplan Members must have made and continue to make at least one qualifying transaction-either by earning or redeeming miles-every 12 months in order to avoid the closure of their Aeroplan account and expiration of their miles”

May 15 to July 01.......and the answer is?

obviously, you must be one of Aeroplan staff.
OK, I have no problem with the fact that you had about 6 weeks to do something with your account. And you obviously knew that too, since you've just explained the math to Tangoer.

So the question remains, why didn't you do something to stop losing your points?

If someone came to me and said "you have 6 weeks to secure your property or I'm going to have it confiscated for not following the rules" I wouldn't plan on doing something about it 8 weeks later and expect a different outcome than the outcome you received.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:03 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite, United 1K, Continental Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by getaround
"Good news! Effective October 16, 2006, expired miles are eligible for reinstatement up to 7 years following the last
accumulation or redemption transaction in the account,
whichever is later. You may reinstate a portion or
all of your expired miles for an administrative fee
of C$30 plus C$0.01 per mile reinstated (plus any applicable taxes).
Reinstated miles will be available for redemption for 7
years from the date of reinstatement as long as you remain active in the program."(Statement from the student thread from another poster).
Isn't it amazing how everything AC and Aeroplan does always has a fee...I find this "good news" disturbing. Basically, I read this as "Hello customer, we know you spent thousands and thousands of dollars obtaining the miles you earned, but we're going to steal them so we can charge you more money to reinstate them." Quite simply, if they can be reinstated, why take them away in the first place. You would think they would value their loyal customers, but that doesn't generate revenue like screwing and punishing them.

If I could get a genie to grant me three wishes, my first would be to see AC go bye-bye!
Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:10 am

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by Caroline's Rub
If I could get a genie to grant me three wishes, my first would be to see AC go bye-bye!
Excellent. Then you would curse the rest of us, at least in the short term, to fly around Canada on a LCC with no J class, no real FF program, no alliances, limited lounges, etc.

I hope no genies show up.

Simon
Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:28 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite, United 1K, Continental Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Simon
Excellent. Then you would curse the rest of us, at least in the short term, to fly around Canada on a LCC with no J class, no real FF program, no alliances, limited lounges, etc.

I hope no genies show up.

Simon
So Simon, you'd rather be screwed and treated like a worthless, pain in AC's and AP's backside? With an attitude like that, no wonder they get away with what they do...
Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:34 am

Programs: aeroplan, ba
Technically, isn't it aeroplan not AC which is at fault here?

We can't fault the airline.

I have read so many sob stories about how people have lost thousands and thousands of miles, I can't believe that there hasn't been more of an outcry.

It didn't affect me because I have CIBC aeroplan visa but it did affect my cousins. They were late by 18 days and aeroplan is playing hardball with them.

They have flown with AC for over 35 years but for their loyalty, they got nothing...just a bill for $30 and one cent per mile reinstatement.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:39 am

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by Caroline's Rub
So Simon, you'd rather be screwed and treated like a worthless, pain in AC's and AP's backside? With an attitude like that, no wonder they get away with what they do...
Except I'm not. And if I have to pay for some fees for this and that, then yes, I would most definitely prefer that to sitting in 32" pitch 737 seats on all flights of all lengths.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by dkbc

I have read so many sob stories about how people have lost thousands and thousands of miles, I can't believe that there hasn't been more of an outcry.

It didn't affect me because I have CIBC aeroplan visa but it did affect my cousins. They were late by 18 days and aeroplan is playing hardball with them.

They have flown with AC for over 35 years but for their loyalty, they got nothing...just a bill for $30 and one cent per mile reinstatement.
I believe we can fault the airline...they choose to align themselves with the plan, knowing full good and well how they treat their customers. Pressure on Aeroplan will do no good as long as AC allows them to get away with it. I'd bet $100 bucks that if AC started feeling some pain to their bottom line as a result of things like this, they would put some pressure on Aeroplan to fix things...after all, AC is all about their bottom line.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 9:28 pm
ALW

Esso points usually post the next day, and I've even seen them post the same day. Now why can't Aeroplan do that?
Bought $3 of gas at Esso ~10pm Wednesday (Oct 24), swiped the Aeroplan card at the pump.

1+1 Aeroplan points are in the account as of now, dated Oct 24. Don't know if they hit the account on the 24th or the 25th.

Thanks everyone!

=aw

[pumping the gas was like a Rapidair flight, no cruising. Just as the pump was getting up to speed, it slowed down again (I'd preset it to exactly $3 )].

=aw
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by dkbc

Technically yes, practically no.

Until ACE removes itself from control of the boards of all the ACE units (including AC, Jazz, Aeroplan, etc) and removes itself from any other way in the appointment of the executive officers of each of the units it is all one big corporate entity from a management perspective. The business strategy, attitude to customer service and internal accountability flows from the top. You can therefore rightly blame any or all of ACE, AC and Aeroplan for the problems.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 9:51 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Just learned from an Aeroplan agent that Minor children are exempt from expiring points until they turn 18.^

One less card to use at Esso for a few more years.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 10:21 am

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
Just learned from an Aeroplan agent that Minor children are exempt from expiring points until they turn 18.^

One less card to use at Esso for a few more years.
Wow. AP comes up with a sensible caveat to this stupid policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.