*A BZ class redemption

Old Oct 11, 07, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

*A BZ class redemption

So I have finally learned my lesson and have decided the only real value of my Aeroplan points is to use them on Business/First.

I am trying to get to Asia (Singapore) on NOv 30/Dec1 returning on Dec 11/12. I have called AE a few times and there is not a single Business class redemption on any Star Alliance carrier for the outbound to Asia from Nov 27-Dec 4th! Is that normal???

ONe agent told me that SQ availibility improves as things get closer. Is that true in anyones experience?

Also one suggested to me to go AC Economy and hope for an upgrade. THoughts on this?

Or am I ....-out-of-luck and should I look at just buying.

I really wanted to try SQ new business class. I have 2 SSWUs I could try but am scared I will end up on a non-XM! Would rather save those for early next year and as I am already re-qualified for Elite this year and dont know if I will need to go to Asia next year.

Any advice to this newbie on Star Alliance Business would be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 11, 07, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC*A
Certainly not abnormal that Business availabity doesn't exist for 6-7 weeks out. However it is true that SQ availability opens up closer to departure. I has a First award, but booked in Business on 1 segment. 4 days prior to departure a First seat became available. AE changed it with no charge.

As far as award availabity on SQ's new B773ER - I beleive they are not releasing award seats on these flights given it's an "upgraded" product. The SQ forum may help you there.
Old Oct 11, 07, 7:00 pm

I believe TG availability also is supposed to open up closer to departure date. I certainly had luck booking a pretty last minute award in business via LAX.
Old Oct 11, 07, 7:08 pm

Programs: AC.SE
There has been I availability in SQ's new C (I managed to pick up a seat myself on LAX-TPE-SIN). My whole itin was originally in C, but after booking--and after checking availability on the ANA site fairly regularly--"old" F space on SIN-NRT-LAX appeared on the return, so I grabbed that. I may not get F outbound before departure, but I'm not that concerned.

I've heard that space opens up periodically, and often closer to departure date. It's worthwhile to keep checking. I suspect (but can't prove) that SQ premium class awards may be harder to get this year because of the deployment of the 773-ER on some routes.

Last edited by ylwae; Oct 12, 07 at 12:34 am

Search this Thread