Where has Montie Brewer been hiding?

Old Oct 7, 07, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Where has Montie Brewer been hiding?

I was most amused yesterday to read his column in the October enRoute magazine, regarding the recent "inconsistencies" in AC product as the update their fleet. Seems he's unaware that "consistently inconsistent" has been the defining characteristic of Air Canada for most of the past decade. He must have a pretty good cave to only finally realize it. Seems the rose-coloured glasses were long ago replaced with opaque blinders.

Like the A321 I was supposed to be on yesterday, that got downguaged to an A320 (just like on Thursday.) But this weren't no ordinary A320 -- it was an "Antiques Road Show" special. The IFE consisted solely of aisle-mounted drop down CRT screens, something I haven't seen in years. Better still was the audio kept cutting out, both during the safety announcments (which had to be completed "by hand") as well as the single movie.

Good thing was that everyone who paid the $5 IFE charge got a voucher worth $2.50 towards a future viewing (only a refund since they still got to enjoy the "video half" of the IFE.)
Old Oct 7, 07, 10:39 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer View Post
...The IFE consisted solely of aisle-mounted drop down CRT screens, something I haven't seen in years...

Good thing was that everyone who paid the $5 IFE charge...
You mean that they're charging $5 to watch a movie on a drop-down screen? Seriously? I thought the IFE charge was to be for AVOD only.
Old Oct 7, 07, 10:42 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
I had a real odd-ball A320 a few months ago actually. Looked like US Air interior furnishings IIRC, but had 20J configuration. The seats were so close together up front I could barely slide into my window seat, which turned out to be rather broken too. I took a picture of the [lack of] leg room it was so funny. Any chance it was this one? And where did it come from?
Old Oct 7, 07, 10:59 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmax View Post
And where did it come from?
From here .
Old Oct 8, 07, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are the a/c the OP speaks to not Canadian Airlines a/c that were intigrated into the AC mainline fleet?
Old Oct 8, 07, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acysb87 View Post
Are the a/c the OP speaks to not Canadian Airlines a/c that were intigrated into the AC mainline fleet?
Indeed the aircraft with the drop down monitors are ex-CP 320s.
Old Oct 8, 07, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Like the A321 I was supposed to be on yesterday, that got downguaged to an A320 (just like on Thursday.)
I had to do the YOW-YYZ-YOW-YYZ commute at the end of last week.

AC was using 321s on my flights as the loads were very high.

Your 321 probably was in the triangle doing Rapidair flights.

I had forgotten how uncomfortable those ugly green seats were...there is a bump in the seat at the base of the headrest. Thank God it was only an hour flight.
Old Oct 8, 07, 8:04 am

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
I liked the line in the intro that said that people were often surprised when they didn't get the a/c they booked. He said soon on ac.com you'd be able to see what a/c you'd have to avoid disappointment. Sounds like a good antidote to downgauging - wonder how accurate his statement was.
Old Oct 8, 07, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kellytoronto View Post
I liked the line in the intro that said that people were often surprised when they didn't get the a/c they booked. He said soon on ac.com you'd be able to see what a/c you'd have to avoid disappointment. Sounds like a good antidote to downgauging - wonder how accurate his statement was.
Unless you have a uniform long haul wide body fleet, there is still no guarantee that the featured aircraft type will be at the gate at time of boarding.
Old Oct 8, 07, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Oh no, he was quite specific. You'd be able to select the plane of your choice by selecting the appropriate flight (or at least know which type of plane you'd be on.) He also went on about how certain routes now had a dedicated type of plane.

While I understand that an equipment change might be required, the tone of the article suggests that as far as Montie Brewer is concerned, changes are an exceptionally rare occurance, rather that the 1 in 3, or greater, chance that most of us experience.
Old Oct 8, 07, 9:03 am

Programs: Sans souci
... changes are an exceptionally rare occurance, rather that the 1 in 3, or greater, chance that most of us experience.
I really must be doing something right (or wrong). I recollect only one swap in the last four years, and that was an A343 substituting for an A345 ex-HKG. So that's a rate of 1 in about 120.
Old Oct 8, 07, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by AnselmAdorne View Post
I really must be doing something right (or wrong). I recollect only one swap in the last four years, and that was an A343 substituting for an A345 ex-HKG. So that's a rate of 1 in about 120.
That is probably because you are being realistic instead of being a sh** disturber. Aircraft changes are a fact of life in any airline and unless you have spare aircraft of every kind lieing around unused you are bound to have those situations occur from time to time.
Old Oct 8, 07, 10:33 am

Oh no, he was quite specific. You'd be able to select the plane of your choice by selecting the appropriate flight (or at least know which type of plane you'd be on.) He also went on about how certain routes now had a dedicated type of plane.

While I understand that an equipment change might be required, the tone of the article suggests that as far as Montie Brewer is concerned, changes are an exceptionally rare occurance, rather that the 1 in 3, or greater, chance that most of us experience.
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
It may be for you, but for 99% of people booking three plus months out, it is not. Equipment changes. Now changing equipment a week out, or running a 763 on a YVR-HNL-SYD routing after Dec 14, that would be a different situation with a different entitlement. The 77L is not intended to be a primary North Atlantic aircraft like the 77W, A330 or 763. It was probably slotted into the LHR route for training purposes. In any case, by then you will have a high probability of getting an XM 763.
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Please go out on Yonge Street this afternoon and ask people what the difference is between an Airbus 319, a Boeing 767-200ER and a Embraer 190.
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Fair enough.

You would, in all likelihood, get approximately the same answer.

Simon
I am surprised that MB would bother with the trouble (and the relevant costs associated) since based on the above comments from another thread, the overwhelming majority of travellers do not consider equipment type to be an important integral part of the travel arrangement process and most travellers would not know the difference between an A319, 762 and an E90 anyway. Thank you AC for taking care of those minority.
Old Oct 8, 07, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by airbus320 View Post
I had to do the YOW-YYZ-YOW-YYZ commute at the end of last week.

AC was using 321s on my flights as the loads were very high.

Your 321 probably was in the triangle doing Rapidair flights.

I had forgotten how uncomfortable those ugly green seats were...there is a bump in the seat at the base of the headrest. Thank God it was only an hour flight.
Well you can also grab the 777 most days at 2pm not just a 321 missing from Kens routes... hows that for a high load on YUL-YYZ....

OH and starting soon you will be able to get a 777 from YYZ-YVR. [new 777 service starts Dec 14th] Now who will complain about those two UPGRADES?????

Ken you are picking the wrong routes some get massive upgrades

Last edited by why fly; Oct 8, 07 at 11:00 am Reason: to add info dates for 777 service
Old Oct 8, 07, 2:11 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Given the IFE fiasco, I don't know if anybody is there. Sounds like some flights they are already charging, who the hell told them to do that? As for a/c downgrades, on NA flights they happen all the time, however INTL I don't think they happen too often as many routes are already operated with the 343 and there's nothing to downgrade them to further. However the state of some of the 763's is quite disgusting, even if they are planning to be re-done in the next few months.

Search this Thread