AC no longer partnering with UA?

Old Oct 5, 07, 3:45 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 459
AC no longer partnering with UA?

Okay, I'm pretty sure I would have heard it here but I was just chatting with a colleague about getting flights for a conference and she said that, as of the end of this month, AC will no longer be partnered with UA.

When I expressed surprise/doubt, she said that she 'heard it from the horse's mouth'- which turned out to be a friend who works in baggage handling for AC at YYZ.

Any truth to this?
frontenac551 is offline  
Old Oct 5, 07, 4:55 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 48,837
Originally Posted by frontenac551 View Post
Any truth to this?
I doubt it. AC & UA partnership runs quite deep within and without the *A and I doubt anything has changed in that relationship, or at least nothing I've heard about. I also can't believe such a monumental change could take place without anyone hearing about it or word leaking here.
tcook052 is offline  
Old Oct 5, 07, 5:01 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,391
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
I doubt it. AC & UA partnership runs quite deep within and without the *A and I doubt anything has changed in that relationship, or at least nothing I've heard about. I also can't believe such a monumental change could take place without anyone hearing about it or word leaking here.
Every six months I hear rumors that AC is either breaking up with UA or LH and it always turns out to be false. If AC relocates to another terminal at a US airport where someone other than UA handles its flights, that tends to start a round of stupid speculation. They have moved recently in BOS and DEN and are moving soon in SFO.

The ending of the UA or LH alliance would be what the stock market calls "material news", likely to influence the share price. "Material news" has to be disclosed promptly and in a manner accessible to all investors large or small. That usually means a press release. In addition, formally leaving an alliance usually requires notice of 6-12 months, and no such notice has been given.
Sebring is offline  
Old Oct 5, 07, 5:31 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
Posts: 1,315
To me it sounds so silly even to think about the news of such scale from a baggage handler: they are supposed to be the last people who hear corporate news.

Originally Posted by frontenac551 View Post
Okay, I'm pretty sure I would have heard it here but I was just chatting with a colleague about getting flights for a conference and she said that, as of the end of this month, AC will no longer be partnered with UA.

When I expressed surprise/doubt, she said that she 'heard it from the horse's mouth'- which turned out to be a friend who works in baggage handling for AC at YYZ.

Any truth to this?
lespoir is offline  
Old Oct 5, 07, 5:33 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,391
Originally Posted by lespoir View Post
To me it sounds so silly even to think about the news of such scale from a baggage handler: they are supposed to be the last people who hear corporate news.
Or first to invent it.
Sebring is offline  
Old Oct 5, 07, 5:49 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: YUL
Programs: AC*E SPG*G CO*Silver Hyatt*Plat
Posts: 123
The source of that might be that AC lost the contract for United Express flights (check-in, gate, etc) out of YUL (and other canadian airports?). This is second hand information, maybe someone else has a link to a press release about this?
YULbigfoot is offline  
Old Oct 5, 07, 6:25 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Posts: 199
[QUOTE=Sebring;8516231]Every six months I hear rumors that AC is either breaking up with UA or LH and it always turns out to be false. If AC relocates to another terminal at a US airport where someone other than UA handles its flights, that tends to start a round of stupid speculation. They have moved recently in BOS and DEN and are moving soon in SFO.

QUOTE]

Regarding DEN move I understand that as UA needed more gates AC was required to move to another terminal. Personally I'm very happy about this as the Continental lounge that AC uses now is far far superior to the RCC.

PJB
ACePJB is offline  
Old Oct 5, 07, 6:35 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,391
[QUOTE=ACePJB;8516749]
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Every six months I hear rumors that AC is either breaking up with UA or LH and it always turns out to be false. If AC relocates to another terminal at a US airport where someone other than UA handles its flights, that tends to start a round of stupid speculation. They have moved recently in BOS and DEN and are moving soon in SFO.

QUOTE]

Regarding DEN move I understand that as UA needed more gates AC was required to move to another terminal. Personally I'm very happy about this as the Continental lounge that AC uses now is far far superior to the RCC.

PJB
Understood. I believe the BOS move also was well-received.
Sebring is offline  
Old Oct 5, 07, 9:04 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YYZ
Programs: Aeroplan 100K
Posts: 222
would this then mean the news came from the other end of the horse?
rodric is offline  
Old Oct 5, 07, 9:37 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: YVR
Posts: 9,999
are moving soon in SFO.
They've already moved, to the UA terminal.
Ken hAAmer is offline  
Old Oct 6, 07, 6:35 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,774
Originally Posted by rodric View Post
would this then mean the news came from the other end of the horse?
More than likely, baggage handler wouldn't really be in the loop with much me thinks
AndDee is offline  
Old Oct 6, 07, 11:35 am
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Toronto YYZ UA-1K 1MM,QFgold
Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Posts: 14,285
UA and AC are always changing things in there relationship....

UA has stopped using AC baggage service at YYZ... this week [no fu*king kidding] because of horrific service. UA has contracted swissport to do the work... not sure if it will be any better...
why fly is offline  
Old Oct 7, 07, 11:43 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 271
Within the Star Alliance priority is usually given to other Star carriers when negotiating contracts for services at airports where AC would not have their own staff or vice versa. However, as with any good business and contracts ,the main priority is still cost and if someone is offering a better deal ,then more often then not the partnerships will be set aside. Nothing is cast in stone that a Star carrier has to use another Star carrier to handle their third party work.
roll-x is offline  
Old Oct 7, 07, 1:54 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 459
Originally Posted by why fly View Post
UA and AC are always changing things in there relationship....

UA has stopped using AC baggage service at YYZ... this week [no fu*king kidding] because of horrific service. UA has contracted swissport to do the work... not sure if it will be any better...
Which would probably explain why the "friend in baggage handling" said that UA and AC are no longer connected. I figured that she was way off base, but I just wanted to confirm.
frontenac551 is offline  
Old Oct 7, 07, 2:29 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 11,902
Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer View Post
They've already moved, to the UA terminal.

True .Departed gate 61 this am.The old "American" imprint is still on the wall.

RCC,although spacious,offers very little compared to the MLL and is a little bit of a hike to gate.
acysb87 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread