AC no longer partnering with UA?

Old Oct 5, 07, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

AC no longer partnering with UA?

Okay, I'm pretty sure I would have heard it here but I was just chatting with a colleague about getting flights for a conference and she said that, as of the end of this month, AC will no longer be partnered with UA.

When I expressed surprise/doubt, she said that she 'heard it from the horse's mouth'- which turned out to be a friend who works in baggage handling for AC at YYZ.

Any truth to this?
Old Oct 5, 07, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by frontenac551 View Post
Any truth to this?
I doubt it. AC & UA partnership runs quite deep within and without the *A and I doubt anything has changed in that relationship, or at least nothing I've heard about. I also can't believe such a monumental change could take place without anyone hearing about it or word leaking here.
Old Oct 5, 07, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
I doubt it. AC & UA partnership runs quite deep within and without the *A and I doubt anything has changed in that relationship, or at least nothing I've heard about. I also can't believe such a monumental change could take place without anyone hearing about it or word leaking here.
Every six months I hear rumors that AC is either breaking up with UA or LH and it always turns out to be false. If AC relocates to another terminal at a US airport where someone other than UA handles its flights, that tends to start a round of stupid speculation. They have moved recently in BOS and DEN and are moving soon in SFO.

The ending of the UA or LH alliance would be what the stock market calls "material news", likely to influence the share price. "Material news" has to be disclosed promptly and in a manner accessible to all investors large or small. That usually means a press release. In addition, formally leaving an alliance usually requires notice of 6-12 months, and no such notice has been given.
Old Oct 5, 07, 5:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
To me it sounds so silly even to think about the news of such scale from a baggage handler: they are supposed to be the last people who hear corporate news.

Originally Posted by frontenac551 View Post
Okay, I'm pretty sure I would have heard it here but I was just chatting with a colleague about getting flights for a conference and she said that, as of the end of this month, AC will no longer be partnered with UA.

When I expressed surprise/doubt, she said that she 'heard it from the horse's mouth'- which turned out to be a friend who works in baggage handling for AC at YYZ.

Any truth to this?
Old Oct 5, 07, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by lespoir View Post
To me it sounds so silly even to think about the news of such scale from a baggage handler: they are supposed to be the last people who hear corporate news.
Or first to invent it.
Old Oct 5, 07, 5:49 pm

Programs: AC*E SPG*G CO*Silver Hyatt*Plat
The source of that might be that AC lost the contract for United Express flights (check-in, gate, etc) out of YUL (and other canadian airports?). This is second hand information, maybe someone else has a link to a press release about this?
Old Oct 5, 07, 6:25 pm

Programs: AC E, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
[QUOTE=Sebring;8516231]Every six months I hear rumors that AC is either breaking up with UA or LH and it always turns out to be false. If AC relocates to another terminal at a US airport where someone other than UA handles its flights, that tends to start a round of stupid speculation. They have moved recently in BOS and DEN and are moving soon in SFO.

QUOTE]

Regarding DEN move I understand that as UA needed more gates AC was required to move to another terminal. Personally I'm very happy about this as the Continental lounge that AC uses now is far far superior to the RCC.

PJB
Old Oct 5, 07, 6:35 pm

[QUOTE=ACePJB;8516749]
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Every six months I hear rumors that AC is either breaking up with UA or LH and it always turns out to be false. If AC relocates to another terminal at a US airport where someone other than UA handles its flights, that tends to start a round of stupid speculation. They have moved recently in BOS and DEN and are moving soon in SFO.

QUOTE]

Regarding DEN move I understand that as UA needed more gates AC was required to move to another terminal. Personally I'm very happy about this as the Continental lounge that AC uses now is far far superior to the RCC.

PJB
Understood. I believe the BOS move also was well-received.
Old Oct 5, 07, 9:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 100K
would this then mean the news came from the other end of the horse?
Old Oct 5, 07, 9:37 pm

are moving soon in SFO.
They've already moved, to the UA terminal.
Old Oct 6, 07, 6:35 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rodric View Post
would this then mean the news came from the other end of the horse?
More than likely, baggage handler wouldn't really be in the loop with much me thinks
Old Oct 6, 07, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
UA and AC are always changing things in there relationship....

UA has stopped using AC baggage service at YYZ... this week [no fu*king kidding] because of horrific service. UA has contracted swissport to do the work... not sure if it will be any better...
Old Oct 7, 07, 11:43 am

Within the Star Alliance priority is usually given to other Star carriers when negotiating contracts for services at airports where AC would not have their own staff or vice versa. However, as with any good business and contracts ,the main priority is still cost and if someone is offering a better deal ,then more often then not the partnerships will be set aside. Nothing is cast in stone that a Star carrier has to use another Star carrier to handle their third party work.
Old Oct 7, 07, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by why fly View Post
UA and AC are always changing things in there relationship....

UA has stopped using AC baggage service at YYZ... this week [no fu*king kidding] because of horrific service. UA has contracted swissport to do the work... not sure if it will be any better...
Which would probably explain why the "friend in baggage handling" said that UA and AC are no longer connected. I figured that she was way off base, but I just wanted to confirm.
Old Oct 7, 07, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer View Post
They've already moved, to the UA terminal.

True .Departed gate 61 this am.The old "American" imprint is still on the wall.

RCC,although spacious,offers very little compared to the MLL and is a little bit of a hike to gate.

Search this Thread