Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Intl Mileage run suggestions out of YYZ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intl Mileage run suggestions out of YYZ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2007, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Intl Mileage run suggestions out of YYZ? 10K-15K EQM

Looking to pick up 10 or 15K, for the former I can always take a separate flight to the US West Coast.

Was thinking about doing YYZ-NRT, yielding about 12.5K... dates I am looking at are around $750 + taxes. But as I will stay a few days, costs in Japan can melt away at the cheap airefare.

Anybody have any other suggestions for good bang for the buck international fares?

Last edited by pr0digy25; Oct 4, 2007 at 8:30 am
Old Oct 4, 2007, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
While a little more than NRT the cost of living will make up for it, so I'll throw out this Fall YYZ-BKK deal I noticed recently.

Good luck.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 8:38 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
I just saw on the Toureast website (YYZ-NRT) selling for 680 C$+ taxes on UA from now till Dec 7. In NRT, if you still in Ryokans or Pods, you can save a lot of money.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:21 am
Original Poster

The YYZ-BKK ticket might be the one... I could use a little more beach time before the end of the year.

Have to see if they permit a stopover in NRT or not.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 11:38 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by pr0digy25
Looking to pick up 10 or 15K, for the former I can always take a separate flight to the US West Coast.

Was thinking about doing YYZ-NRT, yielding about 12.5K... dates I am looking at are around $750 + taxes. But as I will stay a few days, costs in Japan can melt away at the cheap airefare.

Anybody have any other suggestions for good bang for the buck international fares?
Try this hotel:

http://www.wh-rsv.com/english/shinjuku/

It's very good but small. Won't' break the budget (eg: 1 night in November $114.72 Canadian)

BTW, This hotel is located in Shinjuku - the most exciting area of Tokyo.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pr0digy25

Originally Posted by tcook052
While a little more than NRT the cost of living will make up for it, so I'll throw out this Fall YYZ-BKK deal I noticed recently.

Good luck.

Things in Japan aren't that expensive anymore in fact with taxes at only5% and for the most part no tipping, one can get by quite well. Thailands beach resorts especially during the high season are full of Euro paying holidaymakers and the prices that go with them. You can find many hotels in Tokyo in the $100 range..........and eating/drinking out is quite reasonable.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 5:01 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Things in Japan aren't that expensive anymore in fact with taxes at only5% and for the most part no tipping, one can get by quite well. Thailands beach resorts especially during the high season are full of Euro paying holidaymakers and the prices that go with them. You can find many hotels in Tokyo in the $100 range..........and eating/drinking out is quite reasonable.
I agree!

Especially since the Canadian dollar is so strong.

N.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Scott218
I just saw on the Toureast website (YYZ-NRT) selling for 680 C$+ taxes on UA from now till Dec 7. In NRT, if you still in Ryokans or Pods, you can save a lot of money.
Don't buy a flexible paper ticket from this site though.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 5:09 pm

If you're only flying for the miles and you decide on Tokyo, you can stay at Narita (the city closest to the NRT airport) quite cheaply. It's nowhere near as exciting as Tokyo, but there's enough to do there to keep most people amused for a couple of days. You can easily visit Tokyo from Narita, but the train fare would probably use up most of the money you'd save by not staying in a $100/night-ish place in central Tokyo.

If you want to stay in a bigger city, you might consider Osaka if you can find an airfare to the one you found to NRT. It has pretty much everything Tokyo has, but is more compact and generally less expensive accomodation-wise. There's more to see in the region, too---Kyoto, Nara, Kobe. It's quite inexpensive to tour cities near Osaka with a Kansai pass.

Last edited by Spounce; Oct 4, 2007 at 5:17 pm
Old Oct 5, 2007, 6:16 am

Programs: AC 50K MM, HH DIA, GP DIA, SPG PLT, Delta Gold, Farimont Plat
[QUOTE=Spounce;8511294]If you're only flying for the miles and you decide on Tokyo, you can stay at Narita (the city closest to the NRT airport) quite cheaply. QUOTE]

To add my two cents, I love spending a couple of days in Narita. It's an interesting little town, and the nearby Buddhist temple and adjoining large park are a great way to spend a day.

If you're flying on to BKK, you typically can't do a stopover of anything over 23h59m, though I've found the staff at NRT very helpful.

I've flown YYZ-NRT-BKK and simply politely asked at the TG desk regarding changes (and upgrades) and have never been turned down. I've had to pay a small change fee (and a fee for the upgrade to business from NRT-BKK).
In the past, I have found M and U fares to BKK cheaper than to NRT, and meant avoiding Aerolotto.

Thailand can be very cheap, but as others have pointed out don't stay away from Japan on the basis of cost alone. A little bit of research and knowledge and you can enjoy yourself, eat and drink well, without spending a ton of money.

I've also purchased paper tickets from toureast without any problems (slight hassle to fax them copie of my passport and credit card).

ckc
Old Oct 5, 2007, 6:36 am

Two points...

- is there something particular about it being an international mileage run, as opposed to purely domestic/trans-border?

- is it 10K or 15K you're looking for? There's a significant difference.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
BKK or MAN

yyz nrt bkk= 18884mls $1208can or how about YYZ yow lhr MAN (A class) rtn$898=8664mls+3500 fall bonus(must reg)+500 online booking total 12664 not bad? man has to be booked by tonite cheers FTs advise if wrong http://flyertalk.com/rolleyes.gif
Old Oct 5, 2007, 11:40 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by thaidai
yyz nrt bkk= 18884mls $1208can or how about YYZ yow lhr MAN (A class) rtn$898=8664mls+3500 fall bonus(must reg)+500 online booking total 12664 not bad? man has to be booked by tonite cheers FTs advise if wrong http://flyertalk.com/rolleyes.gif
The bonus miles are non-status.
--
13F
Old Oct 5, 2007, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
Two points...

- is there something particular about it being an international mileage run, as opposed to purely domestic/trans-border?

- is it 10K or 15K you're looking for? There's a significant difference.
I prefer to cramp as much into one flight as possible... hence the preference for an International run.

15K would be nice, but if I can squeeze a reasonable run under 15 but over 10 in... I don't mind doing a domestic run to make up for the rest of the needed 15K.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
How 'bout YYZ-SIN on NH via ORD & NRT for CAD$800++ (approx $1180 all in) for just over 20K?

http://www.toureast.com/air/Air_b2cs...lass=5&Direct=

Code:
RULES & CONDITIONS
_________________________________________________________________________________

TICKETING PERIOD
================
17 Sep, 2007 - 12 Oct, 2007

TRAVEL PERIOD
==============
16 Oct, 2007 - 06 Dec, 2007

TRAVEL COMPLETED DATE
=======================
3 months from date of departuer from origin.

ADVANCE PURCHASE
===================
Waived.

RESERVATION
=============
All flights must be confirmed prior to ticketing.

TICKETING
==========
Ticketing must be completed within 72 hours of reservation.

CARRIER/BOOKING CLASS
======================
AC - Q / L Class, UA - Q / V / W Class
NH - G Class (Transpacific Sector and Intra Asia Sector), NH - Y Class (Japan Domestic).

ROUTING
========
YYZ AC/UA ORD NH NRT NH Destiantions v.v.

DAY OF WEEK
=============
Midweek: Monday - Thursday
Weekend: Friday - Sunday

BLACKOUT PERIOD
=================
Not applicable.

MINIMUM STAY
=============
3 Days

MAXIMUM STAY
==============
3 Months

FARE SURCHARGES
==================
Weekend surcharge applies for transpacific departure on Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday.

STOPOVER
==========
One stopover permitted in Japan at CAD100.00

DISCOUNTS
===========
Child (2 - 11 years old): Pay 75% of adult fare.  Unaccompanied minors pay full adult fare and subject
to UM service charge.
Infant (under 2 years old, without seat): Pay applicable infant published fare.
Note: Infant occupying a seat, charge applicable child fare.

ONE WAY JOURNEY
=================
Not Permitted.

OPEN RETURN
=============
Not Permitted.

OPEN JAW
==========
Single Open jaw permitted at either origin or destination.

CHANGES
=========
A service charge of CAD100.00 applies, plus the following:
Before Departure: Not Permitted once tickets issued.
After Departure: Permitted with the following conditions applies; if changes made from midweek to
weekend charge CAD100.00.
Note: Al changes must be made one day prior to the originally scheduled flight as shown on the 
affected coupon.  If changes are not made one day prior to the originally affected flight coupon,
then the ticket has no value.

CANCELLATION/REFUND
=====================
A Service charge of CAD100.00 applies, plus the following:
Before Departure: Charge CAD200.00 once tickets issued.
After Departure: 100% non-refundable.

COMBINATION
=============
Not combinable with any other fares.

TICKETING SURCHARGES
=====================
All surcharge found in fare calculation must be collected in addition to fare amount and subject to 
change without prior notice.

FEES/TAXES
===========
All fees/taxes found in fare calculation must be collected in addition to fare amount and subject to 
change without prior notice.

REMARKS
=========
Please be aware that some airlines do not allow travellers to earn frequent flyer points when 
they are booked in specific booking classes, fares, or group rates.  Please contact the airline or 
frequent flyer program directly for complete rules regarding frequent flyer point accumulation.  
Tour East Holidays does not guarantee frequent flyer points will be applicable or applied for this 
fare type.  

***Other terms & conditions may apply***

***All taxes are subject to change upon US exchange rate***

***All fares are in Canadian Funds.  Fares & Rules are subject to change without prior notice***

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.