Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Can Upgrade to UK on an A fare, but not to Asia?

Old Oct 4, 07, 5:10 am
formerly known as seanthepilot
Original Poster

Location: Don Muang, Thailand: AirAsia_Plat, UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_hater measly gold 4 life

OK, help me figure this out.

I buy a ticket Canada to London with an A booking class. I can upgrade with my SSWU. My experience is that I've been allowed the upgrade.

But, I buy a ticket from Asia to Canada with the same A fare basis and I cannot upgrade? My experience is that I am refused the upgrade based on 'A fare class not permitted to upgrade'.

How does this make any sense?
Or do I have it wrong?
Old Oct 4, 07, 6:13 am

Programs: AC*E50K MM, PC Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I don't have personal experience with A in Asia, but that is indeed what is printed on the cert: France, Ireland, Israel, Italy, The Netherlands, and the UK - B,H,V,Q,L,A within 7 days. All other destinations - B,H,V,Q,L.

Perhaps it's one of those situations where there weren't any A fares to/from Asia when the cert was printed at the beginning of the year and they've subsequently been added.
Old Oct 4, 07, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Because J seats are more limited and thus valuable to AC on its Asian routes, while flights more plentiful to LHR. Why should AC give upgrades away so cheaply across the Pacific if it can charge more and raise the threshold for upgrading on that route? Also, AC only raises expectations if it permits upgrading on its very lower fares and has limited seats in J to offer up. This way there's less disappointment.
Old Oct 4, 07, 7:37 am

The same discrimination on mileage accrual too. C within North America and UK gets 50% COS while no COS on C to Asia.
Old Oct 4, 07, 8:53 am
formerly known as seanthepilot
Original Poster

Location: Don Muang, Thailand: AirAsia_Plat, UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_hater measly gold 4 life
And I get flack for wanting to switch.

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm!

I've only got SWUs left this year anyway, but funny how the SSWU has less value depending where you travel to.
Old Oct 4, 07, 10:24 am

Programs: AC E35K
Originally Posted by seanthepilot View Post
And I get flack for wanting to switch.

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm!

I've only got SWUs left this year anyway, but funny how the SSWU has less value depending where you travel to.
Only if you look at one side of the equation.

There is far, far less of a premium to pay to use a SWU to Asia than there is to the UK. Using a SWU to the UK will put you out $2100 minimum. You can still upgrade with SWU off H fares to Asia, say for about $2000 all-in to BKK via HKG.

There are now U fares to BKK and SIN via HKG regularly offered for $2400, upgradable at time of booking.

Subject to change without notice

Search this Thread