FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Will Aeroplan modify J class overseas instant KK for SE's companions-2008, I hope so. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/741322-will-aeroplan-modify-j-class-overseas-instant-kk-ses-companions-2008-i-hope-so.html)

FlyerGoldII Sep 30, 2007 6:54 am

Will Aeroplan modify J class overseas instant KK for SE's companions-2008, I hope so.

I understand why the instant KK benefit was restricted this year.

What I would hope is the some modification to the rule for 2008.

I would recommend that if an allowed/designated travelling companion (prehaps restricted to a member of the nuclear family of the SE) flies with the SE at all, then he/she would be eligible for instant KK. Let me give a couple of examples.

Right now, if a companion flies with the SE, and the SE has a Business class award on AC, or if the SE has a paid J or C (or Z?) class ticket, the companion can get instant KK (using the Aeroplan miles from the SE's account).

I would suggest the following (I have experiences these examples):

a) if a SE flies on business class revenue ticket from Canada to an overseas destination, with the intermediate overseas destination served by AC, but the final destination is not served by AC, then the companion travelling with the SE should have access to instant KK on the AC segments. As started in the other thread, I have a revenue ticket from YOW to LIS via LHR - my wife can not access instant KK seats in business class on the Air Canada Canada-LHR flights.

b) If the SE is flying on AC on any revenue ticket (ie economy ticket, and perhaps has upgraded with an upgrade certficate), the companion should have access to the instant KK inventory in business class.

Stranger Sep 30, 2007 7:30 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII (Post 8484675)
I understand why the instant KK benefit was restricted this year.

I would recommend that if an allowed/designated travelling companion (prehaps restricted to a member of the nuclear family of the SE) flies with the SE at all, then he/she would be eligible for instant KK. Let me give a couple of examples.

Right now, if a companion flies with the SE, and the SE has a Business class award on AC, or if the SE has a paid J or C (or Z?) class ticket, the companion can get instant KK (using the Aeroplan miles from the SE's account).

I would suggest the following (I have experiences these examples):

a) if a SE flies on business class revenue ticket from Canada to an overseas destination, with the intermediate overseas destination served by AC, but the final destination is not served by AC, then the companion travelling with the SE should have access to instant KK on the AC segments. As started in the other thread, I have a revenue ticket from YOW to LIS via LHR - my wife can not access instant KK seats in business class on the Air Canada Canada-LHR flights.

b) If the SE is flying on AC on any revenue ticket (ie economy ticket, and perhaps has upgraded with an upgrade certficate), the companion should have access to the instant KK inventory in business class.

That would help.

Might be simpler if it were just restricted to direct relatives. Perhaps based upon a list of names supplied ahead of time, to avoid issues such as, is an SO a relative.

TRAVELSIG Sep 30, 2007 7:41 am

This is a great suggestion! I would vote for this one for sure. It is very annoying to be on a revenue ticket in C and not be able to bring along a companion! This is what I use most my miles for- and yes, it is all long haul. The restriction of IKK this year was most disappointing.

pmax Sep 30, 2007 8:48 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 8484780)
This is a great suggestion! I would vote for this one for sure. It is very annoying to be on a revenue ticket in C and not be able to bring along a companion! This is what I use most my miles for- and yes, it is all long haul. The restriction of IKK this year was most disappointing.

Why use IKK when you can use BATCAT in this case?

antirealist Sep 30, 2007 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 8484746)
Might be simpler if it were just restricted to direct relatives. Perhaps based upon a list of names supplied ahead of time, to avoid issues such as, is an SO a relative.

Not sure how well these restrictions could be made to work in practice. Allowing relatives only is a non-starter. A list of names to include SOs would have to be alterable - couples split up - and so would potentially allow the kind of abuse the IKK change was introduced to combat.

FlyerGoldII Sep 30, 2007 9:14 am

Originally Posted by pmax (Post 8485014)

BATCAT is not applicable, if one goes to an overseas destination not served by AC - eg trying to go to Lisbon from Ottawa, I am flying from YOW to LHR on AC, and from there to LIS on TAP. Although I am flying on a revenue business class ticket, BATCAT does not apply unless the whole route is flown on AC.

Conversely, if I wanted to fly from YOW to LHR on an economy ticket (and then upgrade), BATCAT does not apply. I can use instant KK for the companion to get an economy class award ticket - however, the companion can not upgrade.

yyzprincess Sep 30, 2007 10:17 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII (Post 8485103)
BATCAT is not applicable, if one goes to an overseas destination not served by AC - eg trying to go to Lisbon from Ottawa, I am flying from YOW to LHR on AC, and from there to LIS on TAP. Although I am flying on a revenue business class ticket, BATCAT does not apply unless the whole route is flown on AC.

Conversely, if I wanted to fly from YOW to LHR on an economy ticket (and then upgrade), BATCAT does not apply. I can use instant KK for the companion to get an economy class award ticket - however, the companion can not upgrade.

Why not do BATCAT YOW-LHR-YOW in Premium cabin on AC.

Buy LHR-LIS-LHR . EX: LHR to Europe has it share of good deal fares.
Alternatively redeem an award for that route.

You may even discover: YOW-LHR-YOW, LHR-LIS-LHR lower than YOW-LIS-YOW in premium cabin.

sadiqhassan Sep 30, 2007 10:23 am

Asia Miles has a list of five or so "nominees" that you can designate miles to redeem for. I think something similar could work for kk with one change allowed every year or similar.

Cheers,

FlyerGoldII Sep 30, 2007 10:53 am

Originally Posted by yyzprincess (Post 8485382)
Why not do BATCAT YOW-LHR-YOW in Premium cabin on AC.

Buy LHR-LIS-LHR . EX: LHR to Europe has it share of good deal fares.
Alternatively redeem an award for that route.

You may even discover: YOW-LHR-YOW, LHR-LIS-LHR lower than YOW-LIS-YOW in premium cabin.

As the routing on the ticket is from YOW to LIS via LHR, BATCAT does not apply. In theory, I could get the sponsor to buy 2 tickets (ie YOW-LHR, and LHR-LIS); that way, my wife would be eligible for BATCAT. However, the disadvantage to 2 separate tickets is that one can not interline on those 2 tickets (ie luggage, protection from missing the connecting flight at LHR, if the first flight is late etc).

For the same reasons (lack of interlining), I am not interested in buying my wife 2 separate fares - ie YOW-LHR-YOW, and LHR-LIS-LHR.

For the same reasons again (lack of interlining), I am not interested in buying a YOW-LHR-YOW fare, and then getting an award for LHR-LIS-LHR.

That is why (see other thread), I am interested in getting one ticket for my wife - either the "cheapest" revenue ticket which allows her to upgrade (at least on the transatlantic segments), or one (rather than 2) Aeroplan award (I would have to check if one can interline on 2 Aeroplan awards).

yyzprincess Sep 30, 2007 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII (Post 8485525)
As the routing on the ticket is from YOW to LIS vis LIS, BATCAT does not apply. In theory, I could get the sponsor to buy 2 tickets (ie YOW-LHR, and LHR-LIS); that way, my wife would be eligible for BATCAT. However, the disadvantage to 2 separate tickets is that one can not interline on those 2 tickets (ie luggage, protection from missing the connecting flight at LHR, if the first flight is late etc).

For the same reasons (lack of interlining), I am not interested in buying my wife 2 separate fares - ie YOW-LHR-YOW, and LHR-LIS-LHR.

For the same reasons again (lack of interlining), I am not interested in buying a YOW-LHR-YOW fare, and then getting an award for LHR-LIS-LHR.

That is why (see other thread), I am interested in getting one ticket for my wife - either the "cheapest" revenue ticket which allows her to upgrade (at least on the transatlantic segments), or one (rather than 2) Aeroplan award (I would have to check if one can interline on 2 Aeroplan awards).

Having dealt with UA since 2004, I find I get positive results only speaking with UA human being.
You seem to believe as non UA status member you may get the results via email. I say go for it.
Afterall, what do I know. I am only UA 1K who only does 200K+ BIS per year on UA metal.
Please post your outcome.

If that fails you will have 2 options:

You want to save on your wife's ticket be it $$ or miles; have to put up with some risk with interlinning.

If you want to take no risk, buy your wife similiar ticket to the one you are getting.

TRAVELSIG Sep 30, 2007 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by pmax (Post 8485014)

As my home airport is VCE, and I do realize that is a minority, BATCAT doesn't work very well. You could suggest buy two tickets, but at certain peak times a Y class ticket VCE-FRA can be over 600 EUR... not a great option.

shore9 Sep 30, 2007 12:20 pm

Isn't a more likely outcome to be further cuts to KK?

aaac Sep 30, 2007 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by shore9 (Post 8485908)
Isn't a more likely outcome to be further cuts to KK?

I am crossing my fingers and hope for the better. However, I have to admit that looking at the cuts that has happened for the last few years, it is unlikely to be so.

My SE status for next year is already secured. Will still make enough to attain E by the end of Feb in 2008 but if the IKK will not improved, I will be moving most of my international travel out of AC. After having sampled premium cabins on the rest of *A fleet for the last 2 years, IKK was the only thing that binds me to AC.

rodric Oct 1, 2007 8:24 am

Why would they change the status quo to reinstate something they have taken away? Has it hurt their bottom line? I don't think so. Do you feel ripped off? Yes but there's still enough there for us to keep coming back. It is a business so no need to give you want you can obviously do without.
As earlier poster pointed out, they are more likely to keep pulling till there's an effect on the bottom line, thats how the make money.

anti_ice Oct 1, 2007 8:37 am

Originally Posted by antirealist (Post 8485083)
Not sure how well these restrictions could be made to work in practice. Allowing relatives only is a non-starter. A list of names to include SOs would have to be alterable - couples split up - and so would potentially allow the kind of abuse the IKK change was introduced to combat.

I think this is a non-issue. The list should be non-changable for the year. If a couple splits up, then I that name would get the boot for the following year.

Each year the member could submit a list of X# of names. It is so simple, it is surprising they didn't go that way in the first place...unless complete elimination of IKK is the ultimate goal! :eek:

seanthepilot Oct 1, 2007 9:20 am

The Op has the right idea... travelling together

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII (Post 8484675)
... travelling companion ... flies with the SE at all, then he/she would be eligible for instant KK..

Brilliant!

The LIST is subject to abuse. The change was made because of abuse.

A legitimate concern to the loss of KK in J is that the ability to get award tickets that the SE would normally issue, for traveling companions, was taken away.

A logical proposal is to allow an override for any ticket bought in conjunction with a SEs itinerary. I hope the Op gets to see this come to life...

good luck

acysb87 Oct 1, 2007 9:32 am

Originally Posted by yyzprincess (Post 8485846)
................. Afterall, what do I know......

Soooooooo taken out of context.:):D

You seem to have a good handle on getting what you want.;)

fly-yul Oct 1, 2007 11:48 am

I had a recent conversation with a high level AC employee.

He indicated the change made this year to prevent a SE from paying for a ticket and then having a spouse fly with them on points was not in the spirit of what they tried to do. He indicated that they would be reviewing that restriction. I explained that people paying for J or Y to Europe or Asia had many airlines to choose from and that this restriction one "office pays for me" and "spouse uses my points" was not a great idea. I would say there is a chance that this will be changed for next year.

I also pitched the named person list idea or moving to a gift of travel for INTL J to immediate family only. Both ideas were met with "AC is the only airline that allows IKK" and further comments left me with the impression that there would not be any changes on that issue.

shore9 Oct 1, 2007 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by rodric (Post 8489484)
Why would they change the status quo to reinstate something they have taken away? Has it hurt their bottom line? I don't think so. Do you feel ripped off? Yes but there's still enough there for us to keep coming back. It is a business so no need to give you want you can obviously do without.
As earlier poster pointed out, they are more likely to keep pulling till there's an effect on the bottom line, thats how the make money.

AC doesn't seem to feel the recoil of any cost cutting measures currently, planes are still going very full. Perhaps in a few years when planes are not so full it will be too late, then at least we can say we told you so.

ALW Oct 1, 2007 2:48 pm

No, when that happens, they'll re-introduce the benefit (among others) and people will return.

=aw

rodric Oct 1, 2007 6:23 pm

thats my point!
Would we do anything differently if any of us ran the carrier and wanted to make a profit.
I truly wish the pricing on some routes was more beneficial to me but I'm hooked into this loyalty program that does its job and keeps me loyal!

Q Shoe Guy Oct 1, 2007 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by ALW (Post 8491992)
No, when that happens, they'll re-introduce the benefit (among others) and people will return.

=aw

No, they will go bankrupt and the new airline that buys the remnants will use a different FFP as Aeropain is no longer part of the group...........

AftOf245 Oct 2, 2007 8:32 am

Until people start to vote with there wallets, it is a non-issue. People are throwing this stuff out anonymously and hoping to scare AC into changing something. About 0.05% of there customers ever heard of this website so I am sure they are laughing at theses threats.

I for one have moved my International "J" to BA so I can take my wife with me on trips, I have just returned from my 7th Overseas trip and my wife accompanied me on 5 of them with no problems at all getting award seats. I am now Gold on BA, I still fly AC within NA and Caribbean and I will attain SE in 2008. When the paid Overseas "J" starts to disapper then they will make some changes fast,a as that is where there money is.

FlyerGoldII Oct 2, 2007 5:23 pm

I have one question.

If for example, I had an Aeroplan business class award ticket for myself (as a SE) from YOW to LHR (on AC) to LIS (via TAP), would my wife get the instant KK (from my Aeroplan account) or not, for the Canada-LHR portion? If the answer is no, then this should be subject to modification for 2008.

I do know that she would get the instant KK, if my Aeroplan ticket was for travel between Canada-LHR, return.

yyzprincess Oct 2, 2007 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII (Post 8499147)
I have one question.

If for example, I had an Aeroplan business class award ticket for myself (as a SE) from YOW to LHR (on AC) to LIS (via TAP), would my wife get the instant KK (from my Aeroplan account) or not, for the Canada-LHR portion? If the answer is no, then this should be subject to modification for 2008.

NO

Send an email to AC CEO and ACE CEO and read them the riot act. Tell them to modify it in 2008. I would get on it immediately, 3 more months and it is 2008.

ac777 Oct 2, 2007 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII (Post 8499147)
I have one question.

I do know that she would get the instant KK, if my Aeroplan ticket was for travel between Canada-LHR, return.

I think yyzprincess may not be correct--in this case ( you on award ticket) will get instant KK on AC metal ONLY. Actually you can also do this on the website where it says to get SE benefits the SE must travel on the same itinerary