Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Will Aeroplan modify J class overseas instant KK for SE's companions-2008, I hope so.

Will Aeroplan modify J class overseas instant KK for SE's companions-2008, I hope so.

Old Sep 30, 07, 7:54 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Fairmont President Club Platinum
Posts: 9,018
Will Aeroplan modify J class overseas instant KK for SE's companions-2008, I hope so.

I understand why the instant KK benefit was restricted this year.

What I would hope is the some modification to the rule for 2008.

I would recommend that if an allowed/designated travelling companion (prehaps restricted to a member of the nuclear family of the SE) flies with the SE at all, then he/she would be eligible for instant KK. Let me give a couple of examples.

Right now, if a companion flies with the SE, and the SE has a Business class award on AC, or if the SE has a paid J or C (or Z?) class ticket, the companion can get instant KK (using the Aeroplan miles from the SE's account).

I would suggest the following (I have experiences these examples):

a) if a SE flies on business class revenue ticket from Canada to an overseas destination, with the intermediate overseas destination served by AC, but the final destination is not served by AC, then the companion travelling with the SE should have access to instant KK on the AC segments. As started in the other thread, I have a revenue ticket from YOW to LIS via LHR - my wife can not access instant KK seats in business class on the Air Canada Canada-LHR flights.

b) If the SE is flying on AC on any revenue ticket (ie economy ticket, and perhaps has upgraded with an upgrade certficate), the companion should have access to the instant KK inventory in business class.
FlyerGoldII is offline  
Old Sep 30, 07, 8:30 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 21,717
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII View Post
I understand why the instant KK benefit was restricted this year.

What I would hope is the some modification to the rule for 2008.

I would recommend that if an allowed/designated travelling companion (prehaps restricted to a member of the nuclear family of the SE) flies with the SE at all, then he/she would be eligible for instant KK. Let me give a couple of examples.

Right now, if a companion flies with the SE, and the SE has a Business class award on AC, or if the SE has a paid J or C (or Z?) class ticket, the companion can get instant KK (using the Aeroplan miles from the SE's account).

I would suggest the following (I have experiences these examples):

a) if a SE flies on business class revenue ticket from Canada to an overseas destination, with the intermediate overseas destination served by AC, but the final destination is not served by AC, then the companion travelling with the SE should have access to instant KK on the AC segments. As started in the other thread, I have a revenue ticket from YOW to LIS via LHR - my wife can not access instant KK seats in business class on the Air Canada Canada-LHR flights.

b) If the SE is flying on AC on any revenue ticket (ie economy ticket, and perhaps has upgraded with an upgrade certficate), the companion should have access to the instant KK inventory in business class.

That would help.

Might be simpler if it were just restricted to direct relatives. Perhaps based upon a list of names supplied ahead of time, to avoid issues such as, is an SO a relative.
Stranger is online now  
Old Sep 30, 07, 8:41 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: VCE
Posts: 14,161
This is a great suggestion! I would vote for this one for sure. It is very annoying to be on a revenue ticket in C and not be able to bring along a companion! This is what I use most my miles for- and yes, it is all long haul. The restriction of IKK this year was most disappointing.
TRAVELSIG is offline  
Old Sep 30, 07, 9:48 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Posts: 1,064
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG View Post
This is a great suggestion! I would vote for this one for sure. It is very annoying to be on a revenue ticket in C and not be able to bring along a companion! This is what I use most my miles for- and yes, it is all long haul. The restriction of IKK this year was most disappointing.
Why use IKK when you can use BATCAT in this case?
pmax is offline  
Old Sep 30, 07, 10:08 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: YYT/YYZ
Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Posts: 2,201
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Might be simpler if it were just restricted to direct relatives. Perhaps based upon a list of names supplied ahead of time, to avoid issues such as, is an SO a relative.
Not sure how well these restrictions could be made to work in practice. Allowing relatives only is a non-starter. A list of names to include SOs would have to be alterable - couples split up - and so would potentially allow the kind of abuse the IKK change was introduced to combat.
antirealist is offline  
Old Sep 30, 07, 10:14 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Fairmont President Club Platinum
Posts: 9,018
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Why use IKK when you can use BATCAT in this case?
BATCAT is not applicable, if one goes to an overseas destination not served by AC - eg trying to go to Lisbon from Ottawa, I am flying from YOW to LHR on AC, and from there to LIS on TAP. Although I am flying on a revenue business class ticket, BATCAT does not apply unless the whole route is flown on AC.

Conversely, if I wanted to fly from YOW to LHR on an economy ticket (and then upgrade), BATCAT does not apply. I can use instant KK for the companion to get an economy class award ticket - however, the companion can not upgrade.
FlyerGoldII is offline  
Old Sep 30, 07, 11:17 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: YYZ
Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS SPG PLAT(LTP) HHDiamond Marriott PLAT
Posts: 4,232
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII View Post
BATCAT is not applicable, if one goes to an overseas destination not served by AC - eg trying to go to Lisbon from Ottawa, I am flying from YOW to LHR on AC, and from there to LIS on TAP. Although I am flying on a revenue business class ticket, BATCAT does not apply unless the whole route is flown on AC.

Conversely, if I wanted to fly from YOW to LHR on an economy ticket (and then upgrade), BATCAT does not apply. I can use instant KK for the companion to get an economy class award ticket - however, the companion can not upgrade.
Why not do BATCAT YOW-LHR-YOW in Premium cabin on AC.

Buy LHR-LIS-LHR . EX: LHR to Europe has it share of good deal fares.
Alternatively redeem an award for that route.

You may even discover: YOW-LHR-YOW, LHR-LIS-LHR lower than YOW-LIS-YOW in premium cabin.
yyzprincess is offline  
Old Sep 30, 07, 11:23 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 9,528
Asia Miles has a list of five or so "nominees" that you can designate miles to redeem for. I think something similar could work for kk with one change allowed every year or similar.

Cheers,
sadiqhassan is offline  
Old Sep 30, 07, 11:53 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Fairmont President Club Platinum
Posts: 9,018
Originally Posted by yyzprincess View Post
Why not do BATCAT YOW-LHR-YOW in Premium cabin on AC.

Buy LHR-LIS-LHR . EX: LHR to Europe has it share of good deal fares.
Alternatively redeem an award for that route.

You may even discover: YOW-LHR-YOW, LHR-LIS-LHR lower than YOW-LIS-YOW in premium cabin.
As the routing on the ticket is from YOW to LIS via LHR, BATCAT does not apply. In theory, I could get the sponsor to buy 2 tickets (ie YOW-LHR, and LHR-LIS); that way, my wife would be eligible for BATCAT. However, the disadvantage to 2 separate tickets is that one can not interline on those 2 tickets (ie luggage, protection from missing the connecting flight at LHR, if the first flight is late etc).

For the same reasons (lack of interlining), I am not interested in buying my wife 2 separate fares - ie YOW-LHR-YOW, and LHR-LIS-LHR.

For the same reasons again (lack of interlining), I am not interested in buying a YOW-LHR-YOW fare, and then getting an award for LHR-LIS-LHR.

That is why (see other thread), I am interested in getting one ticket for my wife - either the "cheapest" revenue ticket which allows her to upgrade (at least on the transatlantic segments), or one (rather than 2) Aeroplan award (I would have to check if one can interline on 2 Aeroplan awards).

Last edited by FlyerGoldII; Oct 1, 07 at 6:49 pm
FlyerGoldII is offline  
Old Sep 30, 07, 1:06 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: YYZ
Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS SPG PLAT(LTP) HHDiamond Marriott PLAT
Posts: 4,232
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII View Post
As the routing on the ticket is from YOW to LIS vis LIS, BATCAT does not apply. In theory, I could get the sponsor to buy 2 tickets (ie YOW-LHR, and LHR-LIS); that way, my wife would be eligible for BATCAT. However, the disadvantage to 2 separate tickets is that one can not interline on those 2 tickets (ie luggage, protection from missing the connecting flight at LHR, if the first flight is late etc).

For the same reasons (lack of interlining), I am not interested in buying my wife 2 separate fares - ie YOW-LHR-YOW, and LHR-LIS-LHR.

For the same reasons again (lack of interlining), I am not interested in buying a YOW-LHR-YOW fare, and then getting an award for LHR-LIS-LHR.


That is why (see other thread), I am interested in getting one ticket for my wife - either the "cheapest" revenue ticket which allows her to upgrade (at least on the transatlantic segments), or one (rather than 2) Aeroplan award (I would have to check if one can interline on 2 Aeroplan awards).



Having dealt with UA since 2004, I find I get positive results only speaking with UA human being.
You seem to believe as non UA status member you may get the results via email. I say go for it.
Afterall, what do I know. I am only UA 1K who only does 200K+ BIS per year on UA metal.
Please post your outcome.

If that fails you will have 2 options:

You want to save on your wife's ticket be it $$ or miles; have to put up with some risk with interlinning.

If you want to take no risk, buy your wife similiar ticket to the one you are getting.
yyzprincess is offline  
Old Sep 30, 07, 1:11 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: VCE
Posts: 14,161
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Why use IKK when you can use BATCAT in this case?
As my home airport is VCE, and I do realize that is a minority, BATCAT doesn't work very well. You could suggest buy two tickets, but at certain peak times a Y class ticket VCE-FRA can be over 600 EUR... not a great option.
TRAVELSIG is offline  
Old Sep 30, 07, 1:20 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: YVR
Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Posts: 6,325
Isn't a more likely outcome to be further cuts to KK?
shore9 is offline  
Old Sep 30, 07, 1:38 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: YUL
Programs: AC SE, UA PE, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Posts: 580
Originally Posted by shore9 View Post
Isn't a more likely outcome to be further cuts to KK?
I am crossing my fingers and hope for the better. However, I have to admit that looking at the cuts that has happened for the last few years, it is unlikely to be so.

My SE status for next year is already secured. Will still make enough to attain E by the end of Feb in 2008 but if the IKK will not improved, I will be moving most of my international travel out of AC. After having sampled premium cabins on the rest of *A fleet for the last 2 years, IKK was the only thing that binds me to AC.
aaac is offline  
Old Oct 1, 07, 9:24 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YYZ
Programs: Aeroplan 100K
Posts: 222
Why would they change the status quo to reinstate something they have taken away? Has it hurt their bottom line? I don't think so. Do you feel ripped off? Yes but there's still enough there for us to keep coming back. It is a business so no need to give you want you can obviously do without.
As earlier poster pointed out, they are more likely to keep pulling till there's an effect on the bottom line, thats how the make money.
rodric is offline  
Old Oct 1, 07, 9:37 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: YEG
Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
Posts: 1,427
Originally Posted by antirealist View Post
Not sure how well these restrictions could be made to work in practice. Allowing relatives only is a non-starter. A list of names to include SOs would have to be alterable - couples split up - and so would potentially allow the kind of abuse the IKK change was introduced to combat.
I think this is a non-issue. The list should be non-changable for the year. If a couple splits up, then I that name would get the boot for the following year.

Each year the member could submit a list of X# of names. It is so simple, it is surprising they didn't go that way in the first place...unless complete elimination of IKK is the ultimate goal!
anti_ice is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread