Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is this Aeroplan award allowed - I would hope so, but I would predict not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2007, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

Ottawa to Quebec City - stop
Quebec City to Toronto - stop
Toronto to Ottawa.

I hope that one can book this itinerary using one Aeroplan award.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 6:09 am

If YQB is the destination, it totally depends on whether or not stopovers are permitted on the 15K shorthaul reward... I thought that they were not, but that would be worth checking on the Aeroplan website.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 6:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Didn't bother to read this link Andrew gave you recently as I would predict the answer is there.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by makin'miles
If YQB is the destination, it totally depends on whether or not stopovers are permitted on the 15K shorthaul reward... I thought that they were not, but that would be worth checking on the Aeroplan website.
Stopovers are permitted - that is not my question. The link does not specifically answer my question; it does not define a point of turnaround.

Are 2 turnovers permitted - or are the YOW-YQB-YYZ and YQB-YYZ-YOW considered 2 points of turnaround.

I ask, because a few days ago, I asked an analogous question to the Aeroplan SE desk.

I wanted an Aeroplan award from YYZ to PHX or LAS and back to YOW. That was allowed. However, the agent stated that I could start in YYZ and go to one of PHX or LAS, and then go to YOW, and then YYZ. That, from my perspective, is considered a second turnaround. However, she did stay that one could not do this whereby one flew from PHX or LAS to YUL, and then back to YYZ.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
That's stretching it quite a bit. If YOW is your starting point and YQB is your destination, how can YYZ be stopover on the return? Or if YYZ is your destination, how can YQB be a stopover on the origination? YUL could be a legitimate stopover on the return or outbound.

This is also covered by the same backtracking and MPM considerations as your other thread...and I believe about which you've posted many, many times in the past.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Stopovers are permitted - that is not my question. The link does not specifically answer my question; it does not define a point of turnaround.

Are 2 turnovers permitted - or are the YOW-YQB-YYZ and YQB-YYZ-YOW considered 2 points of turnaround.
Originally Posted by Homer Simpson
Hmmm...turnovers
One stopover or one open jaw is permitted in addition to the point of turnaround for travel to all destinations except between Canada/Continental U.S.A. and Asia, Tel-Aviv or Australia.

One point of turnaround and one stopover permitted. Seems pretty clear to me.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Sicne the AE website is quite hopeless in locating certain information, I went back to one of those really ancient printed guides and although some things have changed, I doubt this one has:

"Backtracking is not permitted on reward travel. This means that travel must go in one direction only: east or west, north or south, and cannot bypass your point of origin."

Recalling both geography and geometry, it seems to me that the proposed routing is a backtrack since YYZ is southwest of YOW and YQB is east of YOW and YYZ.

Travel also must be on "allowable routings" and I am not sure YQB-YOW would allow a routing via YYZ.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:26 pm

I doubt you would be able to get this to work without increasing the number of miles required. Do let is know if you are able to pull this off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.