FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC 007 YVR-HKG on 09/17 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/737246-ac-007-yvr-hkg-09-17-a.html)

Jebby_ca Sep 18, 2007 6:38 am

AC 007 YVR-HKG on 09/17

Does any one have any info on why AC007 on Sept. 17 was diverted to ANC? My mom's on that flight, and the they were forced to overnight in ANC. Looking at the flight path at flightaware.com, it looks like they flew past ANC, then turned around...

beeegeee Sep 18, 2007 6:52 am

from what i understand, one of the engines broke down and they had to turn around - then because of union rules for rest a period for crew rest, they were required to spend the night

Guy Betsy Sep 18, 2007 9:18 am

This brings to question of what if someone on that flight doesn't have a US visa if they needed one. What would happen in this case?

I think Canada should open up RESOLUTE airport as an alternative for long haul flights. Why is ANC always considered?

Jebby_ca Sep 18, 2007 9:36 am

I also wonder about those that require a visa to enter the US. I guess luckily, it was an international flight so presumably every one at least had their passports... Does the US grant an exemption in these cases, or are those without the proper paperwork forced to spend the night inside the airport? My mom holds a Canadian passport, and she was bussed to a hotel to spend the night.

Thanks for the update beeegeee!

Edit: Just heard from my mom, and they're back at the airport now, but no one knows what's going on or which gate they're supposed to be at.

Shareholder Sep 18, 2007 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 8422202)
This brings to question of what if someone on that flight doesn't have a US visa if they needed one. What would happen in this case?

I think Canada should open up RESOLUTE airport as an alternative for long haul flights. Why is ANC always considered?

I think they get put on a flight to Guantanamo Bay...

But seriously, why should Canada spend tens of millions to reopen Resolute Bay for the odd foreign national who doesn't have a US visa. It's up to the Americans to quarantine these individuals, not the Canadian taxpayer to deal with them. We already spent tens of millions bringing back dual citizens in the Lebanon last summer, most of whom have now returned and not paid a penny back!

It is not our responsibility, so why even raise the idea? ANC is well located to handle such emergencies in the western arctic while we still have Gander or Goose Bay in the east.

Now of course, if you'd like to change jobs and become a customs/immigration officer posted to Resolute for just such emergencies, I am sure Ottawa would be happy to have you, GB!

kellytoronto Sep 18, 2007 10:14 am

Remember what happened to those 2 iranians and their school-age Canadian son that got diverted to Puerto Rico? All three of them to a US immigration detention facility for a few months.

Guy Betsy Sep 18, 2007 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 8422372)

But seriously, why should Canada spend tens of millions to reopen Resolute Bay for the odd foreign national who doesn't have a US visa. It's up to the Americans to quarantine these individuals, not the Canadian taxpayer to deal with them. We already spent tens of millions bringing back dual citizens in the Lebanon last summer, most of whom have now returned and not paid a penny back!

Feeling a little bitter are we?

No.. a question that is legitimate. There are many Canadian residents who do not hold the necessary visas to enter USA and that is probably why they chose to fly with AC with their direct flights to Canada. This issue was raised some time ago when CX switched its refuelling stopover from ANC to YVR because US refused to give these very people the exemption.

Sorry to hear about the Lebanon issue. But there are many other expeditures that our government does that is not even reported ... and no one has any power to do anything about it.

why fly Sep 18, 2007 12:10 pm

If they lock up some CND on and AC flight into Alaska lets just take two Americans Hostage on a flight that stops in Canada.. :) that seems to be the new way to do things.:eek:

tracon Sep 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 8422202)
I think Canada should open up RESOLUTE airport as an alternative for long haul flights. Why is ANC always considered

Because ANC is nowhere near YRB. They are a good 3 hours apart by jet aircraft.
I don't think the YRB is more than 6000' long.
YXY is about an hour east of ANC and has a runway closer to 9000' long.

When the sh!t hits the fan the last thing on the pilots mind is to ask which passengers have US visas.

Jebby_ca Sep 18, 2007 3:23 pm

Apparently they boarded the plane from ANC to HKG three hours ago, but are still in ANC.

Does anyone know what this delay is all about?

suddenplans Sep 18, 2007 3:27 pm

what seat is your Mom in?

I am on the flight. Sitting on plane waiting for paper work so we can take off.

Jebby_ca Sep 18, 2007 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by suddenplans (Post 8424557)
I am on the flight. Sitting on plane waiting for paper work so we can take off.

No clue. She's sitting somewhere in the back, mentioned something about waiting for approval from US authorities before they could leave ANC.

I was hoping someone would have more detailed info, but thanks for your update tho!

ABG Sep 18, 2007 3:40 pm

bad day for AC... 088 PVG to YYZ was cancelled today. 18 Sept due to Mechanical. Overnights at PVG. That was an A345

YULbigfoot Sep 18, 2007 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by tracon (Post 8423732)
I don't think the YRB is more than 6000' long.

6500ft and its gravel...

Talk about a bumpy landing :)

Jebby_ca Sep 18, 2007 6:06 pm

Plane is still stuck in ANC... one passenger complained loudly, and police was called. Police took the passenger off the plane to talk to, not sure if that passenger is back on.

They boarded the plane 5 hours ago now? At this rate, won't the crew be over hours again?

EDIT: nevermind, they're in the air now. Thanks guys for your info!

tracon Sep 18, 2007 8:50 pm

AC7 left YVR over 4 hours late today.

Spot planes Sep 19, 2007 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by tracon (Post 8426211)
AC7 left YVR over 4 hours late today.

There is a typhoon hitting eastern China / Taiwan / Japan. China Airlines TPE-YVR flight was also over 8 hours late.

tracon Sep 26, 2007 8:53 pm

From Transport Canada:

2007/09/17
Further Action Required: Yes
O.P.I.: Maintenance (Quebec Region)
Narrative: A07F0163: The Air Canada Airbus A340 aircraft operating as ACA007 was en route from Vancouver to Hong Kong when, in the vicinity of Anchorage, the crew experienced a zero oil quantity indication in the # 4 engine. In accordance with the QRH checklist, the crew shut down the engine. They then diverted to Anchorage, where the aircraft landed approximately 19,000 KGs overweight. Maintenance found a loose drain plug on the # 4 engine oil filter. Both drain plug seals were replaced, an overweight landing inspection was carried out, and the aircraft returned to service.