FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   YVR->FRA on LH J vs YYC->FRA on AC J (XM) or LH A346 vs AC 763/777 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/736690-yvr-fra-lh-j-vs-yyc-fra-ac-j-xm-lh-a346-vs-ac-763-777-a.html)

TokyoCanuk Sep 16, 2007 1:56 pm

YVR->FRA on LH J vs YYC->FRA on AC J (XM) or LH A346 vs AC 763/777

To anyone who can shed some enlightenment on this subject.

There is a good possibility that I may be doing some decent flight segments from Calgary to Africa. TokyoCanuk is no longer Tokyo based, back in good ol YYC yet again, but this new opportunity may have me doing 6 round trips a year out to northern Africa for an O&G company.

I know I have several choices on how to get there but I wish to stay with *Alliance even though AF and BA serve my ultimate destination via CDG and LHR respectively.

What I figured would be the easiest routing would simply be Calgary to Frankfurt served by AC and then a Lufthansa connector at FRA onward.

Now if this opportunity does arise and I get it, I would be flying in paid business class for segments and I know that I have some choices on how exactly I want to get there.

Question:

Should I go YYC - YVR (AC) and then YVR - FRA on LH metal in their new J on a airbus A340-600, or go YYC - FRA directly on AC metal which may be a 333 or 767 with a large dose of "hey is my flight XM or not?" postings here until AC gets their entire 767 fleet completed. Or go YYC to YYZ and take AC 777 to FRA (I see that aircraft listed quite often but realize as well that its still a crap shot as to what aircraft will serve the route). I should also add that I have not flown on LH in a very long time and I understand they have updated their business class cabin with a newer J class seat setup, that while they do lay flat, do not go 180 horizontal like AC's XM aircraft.

The other thing that interests me is the possibility of collecting miles and more points to be used on biz class tickets for possible upgrade to F by flying YYC-SFO-FRA. Plus if this gig goes for a few years back and forth like this then I may even get a chance to fly on a A380 or use M&M points for award seating on an A380 serving more exotic destinations. Rumours if I recall correctly have it that there will be a new upgraded F setup and unique J for the A380. Plus who couldn't resist the chance to experience the FRA First Class Terminal?

So how does LH's new J service compare to Air Canada's XM J? I'm well aquianted with the average J class service on the old J when I was doing YVR-NRT, but I hear now that canapés are gone, replaced with nuts and other 'enhancements'. I should say that all of my J trips YVR to NRT were very good, I have yet to encounter any seriously negative 'piss me right off' moments with AC (I must be lucky). I'm just looking for something reliable, i'd also like to maintain AC E and go for LH SEN. Who knows maybe with oil at $100bbl I'd be doing F on the SFO route and make LH HON circle :D

Thoughts?

ylwae Sep 16, 2007 2:11 pm

Kind of a toss-up between AC and LH, in my opinion. I think AC's new exec first seating, if you get it, is better than LH's new J. There's the lie-flat aspect, as you've mentioned, but the individual pods on AC really do offer more space and I find the overall seat comfort better.

Neither airline has an edge in catering, as far as I'm concerned, though the last time I flew LH in business class on YVR-FRA the nuts came in a packet and not a little dish (AC wins!). AC's new IFE seems easier to use than LH's. Cabin crew have been hit and miss on both airlines.

I think it really comes down to mileage earning, and as you've noted the extra connection to travel LH might be worth your while. I don't know much about the SEN program but, mileage earning and reward possibilities aside, I've heard complaints that SENs feel they are now second-class citizens and it's only the HONs that matter to LH. The M&M forum would be a good resource.