Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Canadian AMEX Gold Card - 2% cashback, No Fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2007, 6:15 pm
YYZ
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E

Didn't see this posted anywhere...

Received my new Canadian AMEX Gold Card today...

Not advertised on their website, but terms and conditions are great. Much like the old CIBC Dividend Platinum card, but no fees...

Here's the details:

No Annual Fee!

Cash Rebates paid in January (once per year):
$0 - $2,500 = 0.5%
$2,500 - $5,000 = 1.0%
> $5,000 = 2.0% (no need to carry balance to get the 2%)
Added Bonus of 0.5% if you carry balance (so you could get upto 2.5% cash rebates)

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=480490

Credit Card information is not available on the AMEX website.

- MINIMUM $30,000 annual income required to apply for this card
- No maximum rebate amount
Old Sep 14, 2007, 9:23 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
No AP miles with it? How does this apply to AP?

Here is its home: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=410
Old Sep 15, 2007, 2:01 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
With the various new Aeroplan policies (point expiry) and restrictions on award seats without giving up 300,000 points, cash back cards are really the most interesting option out there.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 3:43 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ABG
With the various new Aeroplan policies (point expiry) and restrictions on award seats without giving up 300,000 points, cash back cards are really the most interesting option out there.
Oh come on! Who spends $100,000 a year and would rather have $2,500 than 160,000 Aeroplan points? Try buying two J tickets to Europe at any time, even 365 days out, for $2,500 (especially now that the AMEX companion certs are gone)

Patience and flexibility are the keys to success with redemptions with any FFP. If you can deal with those you can enjoy traveling luxuriously and enjoying travel on some of the world's best airlines (and AC too just kidding!)
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:13 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
Oh come on! Who spends $100,000 a year and would rather have $2,500 than 160,000 Aeroplan points?
People who are sick and tired of Aeroplan... of which there are many.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 2:13 pm

Oh come on! Who spends $100,000 a year and would rather have $2,500 than 160,000 Aeroplan points?
I do. I spend enough time on airplanes, and already easily accumulate points and status the hard way, that I'm happy to use a cashback card as my main card these days. I don't need even more points that I won't use before they expire from a credit card.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 2:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I would. I have over a million aeroplan points to use up and a seemingly unlimited supply of business travel adding to that total and reducing my ability to use up points (I can't take reward trips if I don't have time to take a vacation.) With millions of people facing expiration of their points at the same time my million expire, I don't hold out much hope of getting classic rewards as we get closer to that magical expiration date.

The best rate of return for points are J tickets overseas. But that's where my business travel takes me so I have little interest in 10 - 24 hours of travel (each direction) when going away on holiday.

At 2 cents per dollar spent, cash back better rate of return than most North American reward tickets (when you figure in the surcharges that are paid for in real currency.) And much better than getting a gift certificate for one of the retail partners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.