Wiki Posts
Search

Countdown to A345 departure

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2007, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Countdown to A345 departure

I just came back from PVG and after travelling on the A345 was told by the CSD that the A345 is almost done with AC. The CSD told me that one of the aircraft is leaving around the middle of Sept, and the other at the end of Sept.

Perhaps it's a good time to start reminiscing about the good/bad experiences we've had with this aircraft.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Paging why fly...

Old Aug 29, 2007, 7:59 am

Along the lines of this thread at the NW forum, maybe all those people all misty over the deaprture of this fine aircraft should look at a farewell charter LOL.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 8:10 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
AC 856 to LHR on September 19th, which I'm currently booked on, is a 345. It doesn't look like it's doing any other LHR runs around that time.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Academic
AC 856 to LHR on September 19th, which I'm currently booked on, is a 345. It doesn't look like it's doing any other LHR runs around that time.
The bottom line seems to be that AC is accelerating all A-340s out of the fleet. Everything will be 777 or 767 by the start of the next summer schedule, if not sooner. I have even heard tell that they might all be out by Feb.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by Sebring
The bottom line seems to be that AC is accelerating all A-340s out of the fleet. Everything will be 777 or 767 by the start of the next summer schedule, if not sooner. I have even heard tell that they might all be out by Feb.
Rather than accelerating the A340 departure, they should keep them around so they can accelerate the XM project.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 9:50 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan ;BA GOLD;HH GOLD;FAIRMONT PREMIER;SPG GOLD;PR PASS.
Why don't they keep 2 around for the 1 or nonstop DEL flights?
They should convert them to all Economy seats.
Can't wait for the 787's!!!
Isn't AC losing business at present on that route?

wali
Old Aug 29, 2007, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by wali

wali
I would say yes... AC is losing money on the route because they have dropped the route. They used to do YYZ-DEL n/s (occasional tech in ARN), and more recently YYZ-ZRH-DEL but now it's just YYZ-ZRH and then code share with LX.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by LeSabre74
Rather than accelerating the A340 departure, they should keep them around so they can accelerate the XM project.
Generally speaking it is not good economics to run a 343 in place of a 767 unless you have a situation where the 767 is too small for the route. During the winter schedule, there are few if any such opportunities.

There are only so many maintenance slots available for the XM work. I know AC has looked around the world for shops that could do this work, but there are a lot of airlines upgrading their cabin products these days and few such slots available. I believe ACTS might be able to handle two at a time, max. That's what we are likely to see this winter.

Also, the fewer 343s you have around, the harder it is to maintain a semblance of schedule integrity. We saw this with the 744 combis and the 345s. If one goes crapper, it's particularly hard to find a suitable substitute.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Perhaps it's a good time to start reminiscing about the good/bad experiences we've had with this aircraft.

Why bother? This forum is littered with threads started because of this less than successful airplane. Do we need to relive the horrors of this particular mistake?

The only good thing that can be said about it is that AC only took delivery of two, realized it had blundered on the new J seats...went into bankruptcy protection and was thus able to cancel the seat order and look for better alternatives.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by wali

wali

AC lost money every time it tried to fly any route to India, so it is best left off the route map completely. There is no way a NAmerican carrier can compete and make money on this route, particularly now with competition from JET. Margins are too thin and ethnic travel too cut throat for a company like AC to justify. Fure it's a huge market, but not worth it for AC. It gets better returns from that other Asian megalith!
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are only so many maintenance slots available for the XM work. I know AC has looked around the world for shops that could do this work, but there are a lot of airlines upgrading their cabin products these days and few such slots available. I believe ACTS might be able to handle two at a time, max. That's what we are likely to see this winter.
Which explains why it shut down the YVR 767 base?!
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:52 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan ;BA GOLD;HH GOLD;FAIRMONT PREMIER;SPG GOLD;PR PASS.
I agree with SH.
I just thought that some of the AC management might see some interest in DEL flights and take another look at them!

wali
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Which explains why it shut down the YVR 767 base?!
As I have written before, YVR was downsized to help sell ACTS. From ACE's perspective - not Air Canada's - this was good business sense because when 767 XM is done, ACTS' new owners would have been stuck with getting rid of large numbers of employees. This would have deferred the hit on morale to the new owners. ACE acted in its own, immediate self-interest. In this case, it was to the detriment of AC. That's why it is increasingly important to understand each ACE company as a different entity with different and occasionally conflictual concerns. It would have been nice for AC if an XM line had been established in YVR. I bet AC would have been supportive because it doesn't matter to it whether it pays an entity in Vancouver or in Hong Kong to do the work.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
As I have written before, YVR was downsized to help sell ACTS. From ACE's perspective - not Air Canada's - this was good business sense because when 767 XM is done, ACTS' new owners would have been stuck with getting rid of large numbers of employees...
You and I will agree to disagree on this one. AC is still ACTS biggest customer. The painfully slow progress on the XM project not only reflects badly on Air Canada, but puts them at a competitive disadvantage as well. And as someone pointed out earlier, many airlines are refurbing aircraft, so any advantage AC had when they were amongst the first to announce this is long since dissipated. It would be interesting to compare how long it is taking every airline doing this kind of refurb to do one a/c.

Indeed, upon reflection your argument could be seen as one big indictment against ACE's strategy of "unlocking shareholder value". It certainly isn't helping the core business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.